Fat Fred Speaks About Owen Loyalty...................

Guest nufc_geordie

He wanted a new challenge at liverpool and had served them well.  I've always thought he's a good proffesional and would want at least one good season here. 

As for people saying get rid of him if he's here for the money/doesnt want to be here - i dont agree.  I believe he will play to the best of his ability regardless.  He'll still want to uphold his reputation, and the better he does here, the better move he'll get.

Thing is, he strung them along making out that he was going to sign a new contract for over a year, all the while letting his current one run down.  Eventually, Liverpool had to sell him for less than he was worth rather than lose him for nothing after another year. 

Would you do that to Newcastle?  You'd at least let them get what you're worth wouldn't you?  Ironically, I think it would've worked out better for him too because, if Real Madrid didn't get him so cheaply, I'd bet good money he would have played a lot more games for them (assuming they still bought him).

I think whatever Shepherd do he will be slated after that.

Its like whatever Bramble or Carr do they will be slated after that.

Its obvious that the most of the opinions on this board are not objective.

Im behind Shepherd about this one.

He is defending the clubs interests

Its obvious that Owen is thinking about leaving the club and Shepherd is trying to express his opinion about this and also the fans opinions too.

If Owen leaves he will be the biggest cunt in the world.He will show no morale,no loyalty about the club after everything we did for him.

God nearly 20 thousand fans welcomed him when he sign for us.And he played only 13 games for us.

Yes,the club is in big mess but there are indications that we might get better if we appoint some serious manager.

If Owen is loyal person he will wait after we appoint the new boss he will see how next season will go and if we still are shit and cant compete for the top 6 then he can go.

But to leave the club in this hard times is just like the rats do when the ship is sinking.

We showed him full support when he had his serious injuries,we sticked to him during this hard times for him and now he must do the same if he is man enough

If he doenst then he is a cunt and Shepherd is right to be angry and to say this things in public.

I reckon he would take a pay cutt to go back to Liverpool.

Wasnt Rafa really pissed at Owen because when he took over he tried to speak to Owen to convince him to stay but Owen wasnt having any of it.

I just cant see where Owen would fit in the Liverpool side.

If he did leave he'd have to be willing to take a big drop in wages. I just cant see any of the top 4 coming in for him, Unless you play to his strengths Owen aint all that good and i cant see the top 4 clubs buying Owen then having a team built around him.

Unlike all the other world class strikers around you mean?

Its obvious that Owen is thinking about leaving the club and Shepherd is trying to express his opinion about this and also the fans opinions too.

If Owen leaves he will be the biggest c*** in the world.He will show no morale,no loyalty about the club after everything we did for him.

God nearly 20 thousand fans welcomed him when he sign for us.And he played only 13 games for us.

Yes,the club is in big mess but there are indications that we might get better if we appoint some serious manager.

If Owen is loyal person he will wait after we appoint the new boss he will see how next season will go and if we still are s*** and cant compete for the top 6 then he can go.

But to leave the club in this hard times is just like the rats do when the ship is sinking.

We showed him full support when he had his serious injuries,we sticked to him during this hard times for him and now he must do the same if he is man enough

If he doenst then he is a c*** and Shepherd is right to be angry and to say this things in public.

I agree with everything you say except that Shepherd was right to say this in public. It's just not a good move tactically. He can feel this, and say it behind closed doors, but this is a strange move.

If Owen leaves he will be the biggest c*** in the world.He will show no morale,no loyalty about the club after everything we did for him.

If Owen is loyal person he will wait after we appoint the new boss he will see how next season will go and if we still are s*** and cant compete for the top 6 then he can go.

If he doenst then he is a c*** and Shepherd is right to be angry and to say this things in public.

I agree with everything you say except that Shepherd was right to say this in public. It's just not a good move tactically. He can feel this, and say it behind closed doors, but this is a strange move.

Maybe you are right but we dont know everything that is happening backstage.

What if he said this things in the article in private to Owen and even then he begins to look for another club.

Maybe you are right but we dont know everything that is happening backstage.

What if he said this things in the article in private to Owen and even then he begins to look for another club.

True enough. It's possible. As I said before, I don't think too highly of Owen as a person, so I don't doubt that there may be more to this than meets the eye.

Guest Gemmill

f*** me lad, I'm not suggesting we should go out specifically looking for these players, but that's exactly what we HAVE been doing for years now.  Flash the £££ at them and they will come.  Do you think Damien Duff came here because he thought he could win things?  You seem to think Owen should be driven to stay here by his desire to win things now too - quite the f****** opposite tbh.

So what would be your strategy to break the mould? How would you go about building solid foundations?

First, I would stop signing players that only come here because of our ability/willingness to offer them wages far in excess of market rate.  We don't have a wage structure at NUFC.  Look at the Owen deal, we got him here because we offered him astronomical wages and because (as is becoming increasingly evident), we put a clause in his contract that actually allowed him to leave FOR LESS than we paid for him.

Stop for a second and think about that.  We were basically acknowledging two things by doing that:  firstly that we weren't an attractive option to Michael Owen as we were giving him an escape route out of the club that no player willing to come here would get in their contract.  Secondly, and perhaps more damning, we were acknowledging that we had paid far in excess of his market value to get him to come here.

We offered Scott Parker crazy money to get him here, we offered Damien Duff crazy money to get him here, we gave a crocked Kieron Dyer crazy money to get him to stay.  Steve Sidwell is arguably better off at Reading than he would be here, but it looks to me like we've turned the lad's head, no doubt by talking about wages a good £15k in excess of his market value.

Does this sound like a way of establishing the club of motivated winners that you're looking for?  Doesn't sound like it to me.  And yet this is what we have established ourselves as.  We can't even shift some of the s**** in our squad because we're paying them far in excess of what they're worth and they know they're onto a cushy number here.  You can talk about huge resources and being starved of success, but it's our misuse of those huge resources by our moron chairman which is making life far too easy for the players at the club. 

The top and bottom of it is this:  Players don't come to Newcastle United to win things.  They come to get paid.

They do that at Chelsea and they finished second in the league this year, mate.  You've done a brilliant job of outlining the problems, but I fail to see where you answered any of Newcastle Rocker's questions there?

How can we attract top talent without splashing the cash?  We can't, simple as. 

Big difference between us and Chelsea is that people go there to win trophies.  Chelsea sign winners.  The only winner we've signed in recent times we've given him a minimum fee release clause of half-price and paid him £4m + p.a. as that's the only way we could get him to come here.  Not a recipe for success.

As for top talent, we can attract the sort of players that are at clubs that are finishing above us.  We can't compete with the top 4, but we can compete with the tier below them - we get hungry players and we keep them hungry by not paying them the ludicrous wages that we pay them here. 

What question was Rocker asking?  As far as I recall he was bemoaning Michael Owen's ambition because he was leaving a club with "huge resources that was starved of success."  As far as I'm concerned, by wanting a move, Owen is the only player here demonstrating any ambition, the rest of them are set for life and basically condemned (determined) to see their contracts out because they can't get this sort of money elsewhere.

There are four major differences between us and Chelsea

Club Owner

Manager

Squad

success

true

Its chain reaction tbh

if you have good chairman you will have=good manager=good squad=success

Guest johnson293

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6641411.stm

The report on the BBC Sport website includes the following...

Owen and his representatives have not responded to Shepherd's outburst but BBC Radio Five Live reporter Alistair Bruce-Ball understands the England striker wants to stay at St James' Park.

"My understanding is the Owen camp claim they are not responsible for these stories," said Bruce-Ball.

"Their position is that Owen has a contract with Newcastle and he does clearly feel this loyalty towards the club and its fans because they have seen so little of him on the pitch.

"I'm told the identity of new manager - predicted to be Sam Allardyce - would have no impact on his decision." Owen arrived at St James' Park in 2005 but played only 11 games in his first season before breaking a bone in his foot.

If this is the case, there should be no problem with a statement from the 'Owen Camp' soon, then?

MJ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6641411.stm

The report on the BBC Sport website includes the following...

Owen and his representatives have not responded to Shepherd's outburst but BBC Radio Five Live reporter Alistair Bruce-Ball understands the England striker wants to stay at St James' Park.

"My understanding is the Owen camp claim they are not responsible for these stories," said Bruce-Ball.

"Their position is that Owen has a contract with Newcastle and he does clearly feel this loyalty towards the club and its fans because they have seen so little of him on the pitch.

"I'm told the identity of new manager - predicted to be Sam Allardyce - would have no impact on his decision." Owen arrived at St James' Park in 2005 but played only 11 games in his first season before breaking a bone in his foot.

If this is the case, there should be no problem with a statement from the 'Owen Camp' soon, then?

MJ

Until Owen reads this thread!

Club Owner

Manager

Squad

success

Astute

:D  mackems.gif mackems.gif

Sorry one of those days

Well, you were right though....

Club Owner

Manager

Squad

success

Astute

:D  mackems.gif mackems.gif

Sorry one of those days

Well, you were right though....

aye but stateing the obvious. :D

Would it not just make sense to offer him a new contract? He obviously isn't gonna sign it like but he'd have to make a decision. I'm not gonna fall for the crap he's probably gonna come out and say in a day or two about being commited to Newcastle. He's got 2 years left on his contract. Most clubs make sure their star players are tied down before they get into the last year of their contract. Should offer him an extended contract, with that clause wiped out and we'll see how committed he really is. If he says no then he can f*** right off. He would say no though, i'm almost certain. He doesn't want to be here. If you don't want to be here Michael, then we don't want you here.

Dunno about that like.  I don't think a player should have to pledge the rest of his career to us for us to keep him.  Loads of players wouldnt sign new contracts, even if they felt at the time they'd stay, they dont know what will happen.

Before people rip owen too, we dont know for sure he had anything to do with this.

Back in February 2005, when Michael Owen was picking splinters out of his XXXXXXS-sized shorts on the Madrid bench, an acquaintance of the Fiver asked him about the rumours linking him with Newcastle. Owen's response? A gale of laughter that suggested he wouldn't sign for the Magpies if they were the last team on earth. Six months later, having been rejected by Liverpool, the Rowdies, The Fiver's five-a-side team and Jossy's Giants Second XI, Owen decided to go to St James' Park after all - where, famously, he was greeted by 50,000 unemployed Geordies and Sky Sports News host Jim "You've done so much in football but this must be one of your proudest moments" White.

Now, 20 months and just 13 Premiership matches later, Owen - according to reports in tomorrow's fish 'n' chip paper - desperately wants out of Toon. "But he has a four-year contract!" the Fiver hears you cry. Indeed he does. But he also has a £9m get-out clause, which would allow him to leave for £7m less than brilliant businessman Fat Freddy Shepherd paid for him. No wonder, then, that the Newcastle chairman is - like that time he was Jacuzziing in a Marbella knocking shop - playing hardball.

"Michael has two choices: he can come out and tell our fans that he is happy here. Or I tell him none of the big four are interested. Because that's the case," gruffed Fat Freddy today. And before the Fiver could point out that was just one choice, Freddy was off again. "These suggestions will not impress our fans after what has happened in the last couple of years!" he continued, alluding - no doubt - to the failures of Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder, both appointed by Mr F Shepherd, Newcastle.

Owen's agent was unavailable for comment, but Shepherd is clear where the reports have come from. "[This] was a very thinly-disguised attempt to flog Owen from under our feet, sourced very close to the player or those who look after him," he thundered, his chins quivering while the rest of his face turned an ugly mix of black and white. "The loyalty this club has shown him, when he had injury problems in his first season and had missed virtually all of this season, deserves something in return. No one, least of all one of the biggest clubs, is likely to take a risk at this stage." Maybe. Maybe not. But if he is available for £9m, what's the betting Freddy has got it wrong again?

The Guardian's take on the fucking comedy our club and chairman seem only happy to constantly provide. :buck2: