"It is time to bring the boy home" Daily Telegraph on Owen - 11th May

Guest graemeh72

he never wanted to leave liverpool???

must have been someone else who pushed for the move to madrid then was it?

Yea wasnt Liverpool trying to get him to sign a new contract but he kept tagging them along and in the end he left for about £8m.

Guest Gemmill

Only last summer they were saying the clause was £12m. The mythical clause that changes every year.

Tbf, any such clause is likely to be on a reducing balance basis dependent on what stage the player is at in his contract.

Guest Gemmill

Tbf, the only reason the journalists have for believing there is such a clause is because they read it in the newspapers.

The Times is the paper that started off the whole fee release clause business.  Michael Owen writes a column for The Times.

Can someone provide evidence where Owen, his agent or Shepherd has come out and said Owen has a £9 million release clause????

When he signed it was catigorically stated there are NO release clauses in his contract.

So either A) there is no release clause or B) We were lied to and there is but at £9m .....nah no way is it that low, it is at least £12m.

I personally think this is just your usual paper drivel from the southern media trying to fuck up Newcastle.

Guest johnson293

Can someone provide evidence where Owen, his agent or Shepherd has come out and said Owen has a £9 million release clause????

When he signed it was catigorically stated there are NO release clauses in his contract.

So either A) there is no release clause or B) We were lied to and there is but at £9m .....nah no way is it that low, it is at least £12m.

I personally think this is just your usual paper drivel from the southern media trying to f*** up Newcastle.

Not strictly true - Shepherd confirmed there was no clause saying he could leave after 12 months, which was being questioned at the time.

But, he did also say "of course there are clauses, which players don't have them? Alan Shearer has them" or words to that effect.

He didn't, and no-one else has confirmed or denied the existence of any other clauses since, relating to specific figures, or dependant on certain qualifications.

I personally think this is just your usual paper drivel from the southern media trying to f*** up Newcastle.

Not strictly true - Shepherd confirmed there was no clause saying he could leave after 12 months, which was being questioned at the time.

But, he did also say "of course there are clauses, which players don't have them? Alan Shearer has them" or words to that effect.

He didn't, and no-one else has confirmed or denied the existence of any other clauses since, relating to specific figures, or dependant on certain qualifications.

Did he?.................thats news to me then.

Guest johnson293

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Reports said Owen has a clause allowing him to leave after a year, but Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd denies this.

"I have heard a little rumour that Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave Newcastle United in one year's time," he said.

"I can tell you now that he hasn't. Of course Michael has clauses in his contract.

"In this day and age, all top players do - Alan Shearer does. But that is not one of them.

Guest graemeh72

I read (can't remember where) that the £9m release clause is only activated because we didn't qualify for Europe

Guest smoggeordie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Reports said Owen has a clause allowing him to leave after a year, but Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd denies this.

"I have heard a little rumour that Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave Newcastle United in one year's time," he said.

"I can tell you now that he hasn't. Of course Michael has clauses in his contract.

"In this day and age, all top players do - Alan Shearer does. But that is not one of them.

It says one year there. Nowt about 2 years.

Guest shearer_united

I think in the long run, losing Martins would become a bigger loss than losing Owen. Martins has got years left. Michael's got only a couple before he's finished if you know what I mean.

Guest Rafa

That Telegraphe one is such a bollocks article. I don't know how he'd know that Owen was the one more positive about Benitez' arrival, whatever was there to even suggest that. And Owen is the last player who needs an 'arm around the shoulder', he is a cold, calculated professional, who looks after #1. As the article falls down right there, then there isn't much hope for the rest of it!

Guest Knightrider

The same Owen that couldn't wait to get away from his "home" in the first place :lol:

And why would Rafa want a striker he has gone on record as saying isn't his type of player anyway, basically.

If Owen does leave it will be for Man Utd or no-one. But a word of warning, Owen wouldn't be any kind of icing on Fergie's cake, just an option for the tight games, the match winner who could make the difference at the San Siro. Like Rafa, Fergie wants more up top than a simple finisher, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten rid of van Nistelrooy.

Guest Rafa

The same Owen that couldn't wait to get away from his "home" in the first place :lol:

And why would Rafa want a striker he has gone on record as saying isn't his type of player anyway, basically.

If Owen does leave it will be for Man Utd or no-one. But a word of warning, Owen wouldn't be any kind of icing on Fergie's cake, just an option for the tight games, the match winner who could make the difference at the San Siro. Like Rafa, Fergie wants more up top than a simple finisher, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten rid of van Nistelrooy.

Yep, Owen couldn't wait to get away, I think what got people here, was that he basically wasn't willing to give a new manager a chance.

Mind, the reasons Ferguson got rid of Nistelrooy was cos of a personality clash more than anything,  and Ferguson was proven right anyway, being as they've strengthened as a team since he's gone.

As for Owen and Liverpool, I really can't see Rafa being interested anymore. He tried to get him to stay at Liverpool, and Owen wouldn't sign, and he tried to sign him again after his year of bench duty at Madrid. I don't think he's going to try a 3rd time.  I think he may have moved on!

I dunno what Owen will end up doing, but I'd be surprised if he left Newcastle this summer tbh.

I think in the long run, losing Martins would become a bigger loss than losing Owen. Martins has got years left. Michael's got only a couple before he's finished if you know what I mean.

As long as we ignore the fact Owen is x10 the striker, this sounds good.

The club should be starting to think about offering him a new contract now IF the new bloke (Allardyce) fancies him. We can't run the risk of him running his contract down and leaving for nothing in June 2009. Especially as he could leave to go back abroad in 12 months time as a result of this new ruling.

If he doesn't sign an extension before Jan '08, I'd pedal him for as much as we can get.

Owen is just better at positioning, creativity and reading the game. Things that all experienced players have. Martins will learn that when he fully adapts to the game. Pluss Oba's faster, stronger has a great shot and a hell of a leap...

But at the moment, Owen is the better player. But in a year or two...

Owen is just better at positioning, creativity and reading the game. Things that all experienced players have. Martins will learn that when he fully adapts to the game. Pluss Oba's faster, stronger has a great shot and a hell of a leap...

But at the moment, Owen is the better player. But in a year or two...

...there still won't be any signs of his positioning, movement and reading of the game improving? He's not a 17 year old.