Big Phil Interested?

Guest nufc_geordie

ALWAYS plays 4-5-1

Brazil played 3 at the back in the 2002 World Cup.

3 at the back, 3 up front. Great team, and the previous World Cup showed how having X amount of big name flair players doesnt mean the manager is going to get anything like the best out of them.

Portugal are forced to play 5 in midfield because they have shiite strikers and too many attacking midfielders brimming with class. In the last WC, he could have had any of Ronaldo, Simao, Figo, Deco, Rui Costa, Quaresma, etc, on the pitch had he wanted, with only the likes of Nuno Gomes, Pauletta, and that Spurs reject (Helder something) as striking options - huge disparity in class there. Yet hes reached the final of the EC and semi's of the WC, so clearly hes not doing much wrong despite being severely handicapped in the striking selections.

Class manager, and looking at the successes that Mourinho and Benitez have been, along with Wenger, and even Sir Alex to an extent (none of them have managed in the Premiership prior to being appointed), whilst on the other end of the spectrum the failures that have been Dalglish, Gullitt, Roeder and Souness (all of them with Premiership experience), im not so sure experience of managing in the Premiership should be a prerequisite at all.

If he's tempted to leave his national team for us then its "big pay day" reasons only.

Didnt Big Sam say he was going to retire after his 10 year contract ended at Bolton, leaving nearly into the 9th year?

Would you trust him to turn down the england job if he does well with us and McClaren gets sacked?

Why would someone like Big Phil want to come here at the expense of tarnishing his reputation just for some more money?  Theres plenty of ways he could do that, take over Russia for example or the USA team, If he wanted to come to the premiership he would be hungry for it. I hope the same is for Big Sam to make the step up and try and win things with us.

If he's tempted to leave his national team for us then its "big pay day" reasons only.

So you know for certain it has nothing to do with wanting to have a more active footballing role, missing the day to day feeling of being out on the pitch coaching the players, having the ability to sign, sell and develop his own players, the enjoyment of competition on a weekly basis as opposed to every two years, in one of the most demanding, most attractive, most lucrative, leagues in the world at present.

It has to be for the money, no other reason.

Guest nyscooby

"So you know for certain it has nothing to do with wanting to have a more active footballing role"

Yes i do.

Guest hagler

all the positive post in this thread for scolari is how i feel...remember when he won the world cup everyone knew it was his last tournament as manager of brazil...yet they all "won it for big phil".....the respect he gets is tremendous....like when he took of figo...then whent on to win the match...then played figo the next game and figo pulled his socks up for that one...remember at the time figo was a national hero...yet the fans knew he was playing shite that game and stood by scolari

Its money 100%

World cup winner coming to NUFC.....?

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

You make it sound like we're a bad prospect.

He's won the World Cup, yeah, and fair play to him. But what has that got to do with anything?

Name some better prospects for him this summer then if he wants to get into club management?

Guest smoggeordie

Its money 100%

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

Guivarc'h  ;)

Its money 100%

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

??????????

Guivarc'h  ;)

To be fair we had him signed before the World Cup.

Once he had it won you could see he wanted to go to one of the top teams and leagues in the world, once Rangers came in it was only a matter of time.

Guest Knightrider

He's obviously a very good manager but I'd be worried about his lack of real club experience outside of Brazil and while his record at international level speaks for itself, it is far easier to achieve things and work with world-class players like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo et al so I wouldn't be convinced at all by Big Phil Scolari, despite being a big name manager with a successful CV.

He's obviously a very good manager but I'd be worried about his lack of real club experience outside of Brazil and while his record at international level speaks for itself, it is far easier to achieve things and work with world-class players like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo et al so I wouldn't be convinced at all by Big Phil Scolari, despite being a big name manager with a successful CV.

So you'd rather have "Big" Sam than a big name manager with a successful CV?

Guest hagler

it is far easier to achieve things and work with world-class players like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo

yeh cause them two are realy setting the world on fire since he stopped coaching them

Guest Knightrider

Aye, in this case anyway.

"Big Name" and "Successful CV" doesn't always mean "Right Man For Newcastle"

Dalglish, Souness?

Like I said Scolari is a very good manager, that much is obvious but his lack of club experience outside of his own country would concern me not to mention whether he would be able to identify all the things that need overhauled at United, much less be able to carry out this vital aspect of the job which to be fair to Sam Allardyce, at least he has shown himself more than capable of doing both.

Anyway, I wouldn't use international football as any barometer given the ropey standard of it these days. Brazil deserved to win the World Cup under him but the competition was hardly challenging where as Portgual for all the stats, rarely perfom, much like England under Sven, but with better penalty takers.

Guest hagler

Wouldn't want him anyway as i don't think he'd hang about long term.

well what about roy keane....the sunderlands fans can live with it

Dalglish, Souness?

Like I said Scolari is a very good manager, that much is obvious but his lack of club experience outside of his own country would concern me not to mention whether he would be able to identify all the things that need overhauled at United, much less be able to carry out this vital aspect of the job which to be fair to Sam Allardyce, at least he has shown himself more than capable of doing both.

Anyway, I wouldn't use international football as any barometer given the ropey standard of it these days. Brazil deserved to win the World Cup under him but the competition was hardly challenging where as Portgual for all the stats, rarely perfom, much like England under Sven, but with better penalty takers.

You've not just decided on Fat Heed, and aren't prepared to consider anyone else, even if they are better?

Guest assyriantoon

Agreed, we dont know his management skills at club level. Perhaps there will be a language barrier as well. I doubt this is a risk worth taking.

Guest Knightrider

Dalglish, Souness?

You've not just decided on Fat Heed, and aren't prepared to consider anyone else, even if they are better?

I would consider a host of other managers ahead of "Fat Heed" but there's not much point debating these things when SA is our new manager, furthermore most of the managers I rate more wouldn't come anywhere near us/or FS would go for.

Dalglish, Souness?

I would consider a host of other managers ahead of "Fat Heed" but there's not much point debating these things when SA is our new manager, furthermore most of the managers I rate more wouldn't come anywhere near us/or FS would go for.

I know he probably is, but the last few remaining shreds of hope remain that he won't be......

Guest Knightrider

NM I get the impression you wouldn't be happy with anyone tbh.

Is it just the brand of football?

NM I get the impression you wouldn't be happy with anyone tbh.

Is it just the brand of football?

I've posted on here about Roeder and Souness as our managers, and Fat Heed as a potential, so you're not basing your impression on much.

Not the brand of football, i don't think Bolton actually play as much bad football as they get accused of. They are a physical side, certainly, sometimes too much so in todays game, but its not all Route One stuff as far as i can see.

i just don't hold out much hope that he will do what we need in the medium term.