3rd time lucky for Freddy & United? I think so

Guest Knightrider

The timing of the appointment proves that even Shepherd is capable of learning from his mistakes.

He only had to get it completely wrong five times in a row before finally realising that it made sense to give a new manager time to prepare!

Well done, Fred! Have a banana!

glad you think managers with the records of Dalglish, Gullit and Robson were bad appointments.

Learn to read.

The timing of the appointment proves that even Shepherd is capable of learning from his mistakes.

He only had to get it completely wrong five times in a row before finally realising that it made sense to give a new manager time to prepare!

Well done, Fred! Have a banana!

glad you think managers with the records of Dalglish, Gullit and Robson were bad appointments.

Learn to read.

So do you think we should have persevered with Gullit and not appointed Bobby Robson  mackems.gif

really?? lol, you've blown me apart there, pretty shocked by that, in 5 years time you'd be happy with stillbeing a mid table team?

So in essence you'd prefer a team like spuds when george graham was in charge to newcastle when SBR was in charge???

I'd like us to win as many games as possible. Don't care how we win them.

I'm not kidding myself, it'll take a few years to sort this club out but if he puts things in place - success in the League will follow. While we're waiting, a Cup win would be much appreciated.  :cheesy:

Would you rather us play pretty football, finishing 5th and winning nowt? f*** that - want to celebrate something.

that is shockingly blingsighted, of course i would prefer the cosistent top 5 with great football. Do you not see how important it is to estabilish the club for the future. Making this club more attractive to any top class manager is my priority, one who would take usto that next step on wininng that important trophy. But to say you'd prfer crap football with mid table prosperity is absurd at which point are we realising our potential???

shocking

he's not saying that at all, he's saying he's got real desire to win above all else. Thats what football is about, and he is spot on.

If you put entertaining football before winning, like many others, its your problem, and in my view does the club no good at all having supporters with this mentality. Supporters of clubs that have won things will tell you the same.

Not sure if you looked at the scenario i gave but it was something around the lines of consistenet top 8 football  for the next 5 years with a cup win and turgid football, or consistent top 5 consistently for the next 5 years playin rpoper football. How can you say you'd prefer the first option??? WE're still a mid table football with low ambitions and a poor future if sam were to leave. However if we hadn't won anything, but were estabilished top 5 renknwed for the football, dya think our future might be better??? i think so.

i mean, which club do YOU think has the better future?? top 5 newcastle, great football, still lacking the killer instinct in a cup competition, or top 8 team, playin crap football, peak once in cup competition.

The way i see it, (were in not for the incompetence of FS), after the 5 trophyless years we'd ten become in a position to find someone who is able to give us that killer instinct, we'd be a hell of a lot more attractive club to be managed and there wont be a shortage of top class coaches loooking todo so....

With your narrow minded shoot ya load at the first oppurtunity attitude, we'd be no better than where bolton are now only with a shiny cup in our trophy room.

Which team do you think a top class coach would prefer coming to....Newcastle post SBR or a Bolton post SA??

Dont give me the ....knowone did want to come after SBR because we all know very well the the clubhad a terrible reputation at that time, and FS main criteria for appionting a new manager was discipline.

Agree compltely with Northern Monkey. He's got it spot on. It's hardly relevant what names are said, every single manger we could menion would have his flaws somewhere or other. Hitzfed - no PL experience, Scolari - Same, Sven what happened at england, etc etc....it could go on forever....if i was to put my neck out a someone completely 100% realistic but in that list of elite mangers, i'd say sven. Forget about his personal life, forget all the crappy jokes forget about england for a second, what he's achieved at club level puts him on that list of managerial 'hot property.' Surely? Allardyce is just as risky onthe basis that he hasn't won nything, he's not manged under amazng pressure, ver manged for a clu this size...againe list could go on, but for me this club should go for proven record, dnt give me Dalglish and Souness, they haven't achived anythin nearly as comparable to Sven...even qf of a major interantional tournament would be beyond them.

mackems.gif

4 league titles with 2 different clubs, 3 manager of the year awards and a few cups not good enough for you

Fantastic.

Come on NE5, you think what Dalglish and Souness achieved in one league was comparable to what sven did around europe?? Dya honestly think that Souness could of got Benfica into the CL final??? If so, why didn't he?? Bottom line, sven did it in europe, something neither manager did.  i think your underestimating the magnitude of that achievenemnt....yes other poorer mangers have done it...venables etc...but on the flip side some of the greatest managers the world has seen have only managed it once (fergie)..... That sets him apart from me.

Agree compltely with Northern Monkey. He's got it spot on. It's hardly relevant what names are said, every single manger we could menion would have his flaws somewhere or other. Hitzfed - no PL experience, Scolari - Same, Sven what happened at england, etc etc....it could go on forever....if i was to put my neck out a someone completely 100% realistic but in that list of elite mangers, i'd say sven. Forget about his personal life, forget all the crappy jokes forget about england for a second, what he's achieved at club level puts him on that list of managerial 'hot property.' Surely? Allardyce is just as risky onthe basis that he hasn't won nything, he's not manged under amazng pressure, ver manged for a clu this size...againe list could go on, but for me this club should go for proven record, dnt give me Dalglish and Souness, they haven't achived anythin nearly as comparable to Sven...even qf of a major interantional tournament would be beyond them.

mackems.gif

4 league titles with 2 different clubs, 3 manager of the year awards and a few cups not good enough for you

Fantastic.

Come on NE5, you think what Dalglish and Souness achieved in one league was comparable to what sven did around europe?? Dya honestly think that Souness could of got Benfica into the CL final??? If so, why didn't he?? Bottom line, sven did it in europe, something neither manager did.  i think your underestimating the magnitude of that achievenemnt....yes other poorer mangers have done it...venables etc...but on the flip side some of the greatest managers the world has seen have only managed it once (fergie)..... That sets him apart from me.

not arsed about Souness. I quoted Dalglish.

4 League titles and 3 manager of the year awards. He took over Liverpool - a great side - and improved it. Exactly what was needed at the time at Newcastle. It's a response to when you said "don't give me Dalglish". Well, I am giving you Dalglish. He was at the time a top class appointment that signalled the intent of the club and was every bit as big an appointment as any top manager now.

I don't expect anybody to give any credit for that though, not many people anyway.

FWIW, I don't personally give a toss about Erikssons private life either, but I think he has the wrong personality for Newcastle ie the lessons of Dalglish is that a dour character must be winning to be accepted at Newcastle by the masses, when he is not winning they turn on him quickly if he doesn't have the character to keep them on his side.

really?? lol, you've blown me apart there, pretty shocked by that, in 5 years time you'd be happy with stillbeing a mid table team?

So in essence you'd prefer a team like spuds when george graham was in charge to newcastle when SBR was in charge???

I'm not kidding myself, it'll take a few years to sort this club out but if he puts things in place - success in the League will follow. While we're waiting, a Cup win would be much appreciated.  :cheesy:

Would you rather us play pretty football, finishing 5th and winning nowt? f*** that - want to celebrate something.

that is shockingly blingsighted, of course i would prefer the cosistent top 5 with great football. Do you not see how important it is to estabilish the club for the future. Making this club more attractive to any top class manager is my priority, one who would take usto that next step on wininng that important trophy. But to say you'd prfer crap football with mid table prosperity is absurd at which point are we realising our potential???

shocking

he's not saying that at all, he's saying he's got real desire to win above all else. Thats what football is about, and he is spot on.

If you put entertaining football before winning, like many others, its your problem, and in my view does the club no good at all having supporters with this mentality. Supporters of clubs that have won things will tell you the same.

Not sure if you looked at the scenario i gave but it was something around the lines of consistenet top 8 football  for the next 5 years with a cup win and turgid football, or consistent top 5 consistently for the next 5 years playin rpoper football. How can you say you'd prefer the first option??? WE're still a mid table football with low ambitions and a poor future if sam were to leave. However if we hadn't won anything, but were estabilished top 5 renknwed for the football, dya think our future might be better??? i think so.

i mean, which club do YOU think has the better future?? top 5 newcastle, great football, still lacking the killer instinct in a cup competition, or top 8 team, playin crap football, peak once in cup competition.

The way i see it, (were in not for the incompetence of FS), after the 5 trophyless years we'd ten become in a position to find someone who is able to give us that killer instinct, we'd be a hell of a lot more attractive club to be managed and there wont be a shortage of top class coaches loooking todo so....

With your narrow minded shoot ya load at the first oppurtunity attitude, we'd be no better than where bolton are now only with a shiny cup in our trophy room.

Which team do you think a top class coach would prefer coming to....Newcastle post SBR or a Bolton post SA??

Dont give me the ....knowone did want to come after SBR because we all know very well the the clubhad a terrible reputation at that time, and FS main criteria for appionting a new manager was discipline.

I'm not giving you anything other than the fact that it is winning that counts. "entertainment" really doesn't come into it, its a bonus if you can provide it but i'm only bothered about winning. If NUFC win its entertaining me. And whats more, the vast majority of NUFC fans would feel exactly the same. We played long ball football when we won the Fairs Cup and nobody complained.

In fact, while I think football is all about having good players passing and moving, I think this long ball stuff associated with Allardyce is vastly overstated. He has had quality footballers like Djourkiaff, Anelka and Okocha playing for him - do you think they play long ball football ? Don't misunderstand long ball football for having a couple of defenders who don't take prisoners or midfield players who are tall and scrap for the ball. Theres nowt wrong with that, what is important is that he gets players to play for him.

shocking

I'm not giving you anything other than the fact that it is winning that counts. "entertainment" really doesn't come into it, its a bonus if you can provide it but i'm only bothered about winning. If NUFC win its entertaining me. And whats more, the vast majority of NUFC fans would feel exactly the same. We played long ball football when we won the Fairs Cup and nobody complained.

In fact, while I think football is all about having good players passing and moving, I think this long ball stuff associated with Allardyce is vastly overstated. He has had quality footballers like Djourkiaff, Anelka and Okocha playing for him - do you think they play long ball football ? Don't misunderstand long ball football for having a couple of defenders who don't take prisoners or midfield players who are tall and scrap for the ball. Theres nowt wrong with that, what is important is that he gets players to play for him.

Do you fancy answering my question then??? Which team would you prefer? In esense where would you lie newcastle to be in 5 years time??

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

4 League titles and 3 manager of the year awards. He took over Liverpool - a great side - and improved it. Exactly what was needed at the time at Newcastle. It's a response to when you said "don't give me Dalglish". Well, I am giving you Dalglish. He was at the time a top class appointment that signalled the intent of the club and was every bit as big an appointment as any top manager now.

I don't expect anybody to give any credit for that though, not many people anyway.

FWIW, I don't personally give a toss about Erikssons private life either, but I think he has the wrong personality for Newcastle ie the lessons of Dalglish is that a dour character must be winning to be accepted at Newcastle by the masses, when he is not winning they turn on him quickly if he doesn't have the character to keep them on his side.

i am not saying, "dont give me Dalglish", i am sayin "dont give me dalglish and souness as example of good CV's, because they aren't comparable to what sven has achieved....no way near."

shocking

Do you fancy answering my question then??? Which team would you prefer? In esense where would you lie newcastle to be in 5 years time??

what question ??

"Entertainment" or winning ?

Winning. Every time.

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

i am not saying, "dont give me Dalglish", i am sayin "dont give me dalglish and souness as example of good CV's, because they aren't comparable to what sven has achieved....no way near."

I fail to see how you think Dalglish doesn't have a top class CV. And you DID say "don't give me Dalglish"

I am also putting across an opinion on the personality of Eriksson, based on the lessons of Dalglish and the knowledge of what goes down well in Newcastle.

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

I fail to see how you think Dalglish doesn't have a top class CV. And you DID say "don't give me Dalglish"

I am also putting across an opinion on the personality of Eriksson, based on the lessons of Dalglish and the knowledge of what goes down well in Newcastle.

Right, let me put this very very clearly, Dalglsh has a very good CV...yes?? Well, so does Souness...yes?? i agree they both do...but to cmpare there CV as achievements akin to sven is wrong. FULL STOP, can you honestly say that KD or Souness has the managerial skill to get any team into the CL final?? or the UEFA cup final?? i dont think so. that was my point. hence-incomparale.

Are you tellin me then that you wont except anyone onthe basis of a CV because of souness and dalglish??

My second poitn, and again i will make this very simple for you, which posisiton would youprefer us to be in in 5 years time....

Bolton post SA (assuming SA won the LC) or nufc post SBR?? The question isn't winning or enertainment, the question is which future would you have for the club with the given scenarios?

because if your tellin me you'd prefer the dire football with one cup sucess with a team barely capable of qalifying for the UEFA cup, then your incredibly shortsighted....think about the future of the club, compared to where we are now....think ambition. Winning is everything you're right, but rome wasn't built in 7 days.

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

Right, let me put this very very clearly, Dalglsh has a very good CV...yes?? Well, so does Souness...yes?? i agree they both do...but to cmpare there CV as achievements akin to sven is wrong. FULL STOP, can you honestly say that KD or Souness has the managerial skill to get any team into the CL final?? or the UEFA cup final?? i dont think so. that was my point. hence-incomparale.

My second poitn, and again i will make this very simple for you, which posisiton would youprefer us to be in in 5 years time....

Bolton post SA (assuming SA won the LC) or nufc post SBR??

because if your tellin me you'd prefer the dire football with one cup sucess with a team barely capable of qalifying for the UEFA cup, then your incredibly shortsighted....think about the future of the club, compared to where we are now....think ambition. Winning is everything you're right, but rome wasn't built in 7 days.

I have no idea why you keep bracketing Dalglish with Souness.

Dalglish had a top quality CV, as good as it gets.

Dalglish improved a team who reached the European Cup Final, he actually changed them so they played with more flair and arguably if not for the European ban, they may have reached it again. We will never know.

I have answered your question. Winning is everything, if Newcastle are winning, it is entertaining me. Would YOU - in 5 years time - rather we were playing entertaining football and winning nothing or winning a cup or two playing in a not so entertaining fashion ie sexy football, remember that ? Were you happy with Gullit and losing ... ?

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

Dalglish improved a team who reached the European Cup Final, he actually changed them so they played with more flair and arguably if not for the European ban, they may have reached it again. We will never know.

I have answered your question. Winning is everything, if Newcastle are winning, it is entertaining me. Would YOU - in 5 years time - rather we were playing entertaining football and winning nothing or winning a cup or two playing in a not so entertaining fashion ie sexy football, remember that ? Were you happy with Gullit and losing ... ?

Would youof een happy if Gullit won the FA cup but the season was still the same?? Stop movin the goal posts and stick to the question. 1 cup win, crap football barely qalify for the UEFA for 5 years, or top 5 consistenetly great football not quite having the killer instinct??becasue if tht league cup win ismore important to you than the future of this club then you are shortsighted.....simple.

You clearly have no ambition if you think the league cup win is the pinnacle of this clubs potential achievements.

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

Would youof een happy if Gullit won the FA cup but the season was still the same?? Stop movin the goal posts and stick to the question. 1 cup win, crap football barely qalify for the UEFA for 5 years, or top 5 consistenetly great football not quite having the killer instinct??becasue if tht league cup win ismore important to you than the future of this club then you are shortsighted.....simple.

You clearly have no ambition if you think the league cup win is the pinnacle of this clubs potential achievements.

omg

I'm not moving any goalposts.

Winning is everything. It's all that matters.

You are presuming that Allardyce cannot get Newcastle into the top teams ? Why is this ? And why do you think that Eriksson would ?

Every team Dalglish had managed had won the title, so don't tell me that I lack ambition, when you are the one who implies you put entertaining football first.

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

omg

You are presuming that Allardyce cannot get Newcastle into the top teams ? Why is this ? And why do you think that Eriksson would ?

Every team Dalglish had managed had won the title, so don't tell me that I lack ambition, when you are the one who implies you put entertaining football first.

i giveup, cant seem to get you to answer the question i put to you in its strictest form. ithought it was a simple question to answer, obviuolsy not. not once have i correllated(compared) my scenario with whos in charge. And it was you who brought the whole dalglish thing up, i just said that i n't opabl to sven..which it isn't, as good as it is, it isn't cmparable to sven.

If you ask me, wanting one cup win in the next 5 years(like i asked), finishing consisently in the top 8(like i asked) barely qualifying for europe(like i asked) and playin crap football in the process(like i asked) and being happy with that...shows little ambimtion.

However by sayin you want us to challenge the top 5 consistenlty(like i asked) playin great football(like i askd) gettin into the CL(implied), but not quite winning a cup,  to me that sounds like a better future more ambitions etc.

By simply comparing them to bolton and newcastle of old, its the closest i can think of as analgoies to my scenarios.

Just answer this question with the answer either Bolton or Newcastle, thats all i want, nothing else just one of those 2 words.

Would you prefer newcastle would be in the situation Bolton are in now, in footballing terms 5 years in the future(win a cup win)...or where newcastle were under SBR? bare in mind all the 'criteria' i gave you...crap football etc.

mackems.gif

Fantastic.

omg

i giveup, cant seem to get you to answer the question i put to you in its strictest form. ithought it was a simple question to answer, obviuolsy not. not once have i correllated(compared) my scenario with whos in charge. And it was you who brought the whole dalglish thing up, i just said that i n't opabl to sven..which it isn't, as good as it is, it isn't cmparable to sven.

If you ask me, wanting one cup win in the next 5 years(like i asked), finishing consisently in the top 8(like i asked) barely qualifying for europe(like i asked) and playin crap football in the process(like i asked) and being happy with that...shows little ambimtion.

I can hardly decipher this. Would YOU be happy if we "achieved" the above with Sven as manager ? You appear to think it is nailed on he would do better. Well, it isn't.

to be fair, am asking about yur ambitions for the club, its purely hypohetical and is in no way a personal reflection of what i beleive each manager is capable of.

i am just putting a scenario to you to see where your ambitions lie for this club, and as far as i can see you would rather i league cup win over cosistent CL of european football. How are we improving as a club if that is the height of your ambitions, surely the CL is an amabition beacuse of the fininacial rewards, the elite european status the players signing power etc... like i said, culd ya answer the question above (in revious post) with either Bolton or Newcastle.

Yawn. Someone put him to bed.

[/quote/]

Wow, pretty insightful input there boo boo. Am so glad you decided to read all the comments, put all that effort into writing a facesious remark posting it with a self satisfied smugness that you did something cool......well done. not quite sure what you've ahieved there.

But seriously, it's a miracle how we're still in the top 7 with a minus 5 goal difference.

I bet you guys can't wait for the nice long ball football next season?  :D

I can honestlysay that i cant hack the idea of long ball at nufc.

Aye we are going to have to get rid of the silky one touch passing.

Obvious reply but we play like an inneffective Bolton already.

to be fair, am asking about yur ambitions for the club, its purely hypohetical and is in no way a personal reflection of what i beleive each manager is capable of.

i am just putting a scenario to you to see where your ambitions lie for this club, and as far as i can see you would rather i league cup win over cosistent CL of european football. How are we improving as a club if that is the height of your ambitions, surely the CL is an amabition beacuse of the fininacial rewards, the elite european status the players signing power etc... like i said, culd ya answer the question above (in revious post) with either Bolton or Newcastle.

please show me where I said I would be happy with the League Cup and a mid table position [which is better than the vast majority of what I have witnessed in over 40 years supporting the club, especially when we had a shite board]

At the end of the day, you think Eriksson would be a better manager than Allardyce for NUFC, based on his CV, but I'm not sure I would agree with that, as I've pointed out that Dalglish also had a top class CV.

Lastly.....I can assure you that having supported the club for over 40 years, week in week out through shite and good times, one thing I have always had is the desire to win every game.

But seriously, it's a miracle how we're still in the top 7 with a minus 5 goal difference.

I bet you guys can't wait for the nice long ball football next season?  :D

I can honestlysay that i cant hack the idea of long ball at nufc.

Aye we are going to have to get rid of the silky one touch passing.

Obvious reply but we play like an inneffective Bolton already.

yeh, to be fair thats true.

I've said this before but I don't understand how anyone who saw England under Eriksson would want him here.

No width.

Bad movement.

Alot of great players, few great performances.

Poor tactics.

Slow and poor substitutions.

Clueless in the latter stages of cup competitions.

Stuck rigidly to his favourite players....

AND dour football. Give me Big Sam anyday.

please show me where I said I would be happy with the League Cup and a mid table position [which is better than the vast majority of what I have witnessed in over 40 years supporting the club, especially when we had a s**** board] This is pretty much the hypothetical situation i've been trying to ask

At the end of the day, you think Eriksson would be a better manager than Allardyce for NUFC, based on his CV, but I'm not sure I would agree with that, as I've pointed out that Dalglish also had a top class CV. AGREED its a fair point, one i cant really argue to much about, i think my first post were merely questioning the appointment of SA so quickly, it showed not too much ambition when ppl like sven are available although i am no questioning the appointmwnt of SA

Lastly.....I can assure you that having supported the club for over 40 years, week in week out through s**** and good times, one thing I have always had is the desire to win every game. I feel its beause of those bad time that areaffecting your judgement at the present time, because wheher you want to admit it or not, newcaslte are actually in a position to become a major english club they have everything bar the set up and class manager.