3rd time lucky for Freddy & United? I think so

Guest Knightrider

I think its incredible timing. For me fred has got the time and the person correct. There's only one part left and thats his full backing as manager.

Agree with midds on this. This appointment just makes sense: right man, right time...and we can only keep our fingers crossed on the rest of it. But I feel increasingly optimistic now.

blueyes.gif

The stars are aligned fully. :lol:

Guest optimistic nit

How anyone can be happy with Big Sam when better managers are available is pure lunacy.

Agree with this. There's 3, maybe 4 realistic and arguably better options available and we haven't even spoken to them. Stupid.

names.?.....houlleir hardly challenged for the title with far superior resources,scolari,hasn't really built anything like we would need and little knowladge of the english game.....van gaal...my choice

Koeman, Eriksson, Houllier & Scolari.

possible,no explained and explained

i'm pleased with sam, but these three would have been better options (not counting eriksson here). as i said earlier, he is the obvious choice (no matter what you say, i'm right HTT). the three apart from eriksson would have been better imo, but i'm not even sure shepherd has heard of them. they are not obviously looking for a job to your average english man, so wern't considered. i am happy with allardyce, mainly because this time the obvious candidate could well take us forward. i'm not sure if established top 4 is pheaseable with him though, but looking at where he's taken bolton, it may be.

I always say the manager should be backed.

Souness?

the club is right to back their choice of manager, that is different to the fact that he wasn't MY choice and I hated the arsehole, ever since I was in Jockland when he managed Rangers. It would be an absurd situation for a club to appoint a manager and not back him, don't you agree ?

Oh, we did that for decades when we had a s*** board. Fancy me forgetting that  :lol:

I doubt you'll ever forget that tbh, or let any of us forget it either. ;)

I'm really pleased. I just hope nothing goes wrong. I've wanted him since Bobby Robson left too, and I've not felt so positive for years.

if Allardyce gets the job and at some point in the future comes out and says we need to restructure the whole club off the field how will you react?

I always say the manager should be backed. Bobby Robson structured the club in the way he wanted, promoted Carver for instance because he rated him, and Gordon Milne to so scouting overseas, even appointing Wadsworth initially, every manager does this. I don't doubt for a moment Allardyce will do it too. I have wanted him as our managers since Bobby Robson left, and have said so on many occasions, because he seems quite good at it, along with man managing and winning football games and is ready for a bigger club. So I can't see your point in this question, other than attempting to make something up to discredit the board ?

Nah, of course not.

Bobby didn't quite restructure the club how he wanted, whenever he brought such issues up with the board it was always a "will look into it Bobby and get back to you" or a "no" as he was told when he requested the club installed ProZone. The club wouldn't renew Mick Wadsworth's contract either which Bobby was very unhappy about and he wasn't allowed to stretch his scouting net either.

To be fair though, he says there was so much that needed to be done, he himself couldn't do it all, not when the team on the pitch needed so much attention and focus. The time to do the things he wanted done in full was perhaps the season we finished 4th, which would have of course given him a greater team off the pitch to maintain success on it which wasn't sustained, hence the need today to finally overhaul things which at least the board now seem to realise and accept which is a step in the right direction, quite a few in fact.

Thats a fair point, I'll give you that one re Wadsworth. Was it so straightforward as that though ? I thought he wanted to have a crack at being a manager again ? Remember Robson also wanted Mourinho but he elected to go into management and stay in Portugal instead of staying with Bobby Robson ?

I always say the manager should be backed.

Souness?

the club is right to back their choice of manager, that is different to the fact that he wasn't MY choice and I hated the arsehole, ever since I was in Jockland when he managed Rangers. It would be an absurd situation for a club to appoint a manager and not back him, don't you agree ?

Oh, we did that for decades when we had a s*** board. Fancy me forgetting that  :lol:

I doubt you'll ever forget that tbh, or let any of us forget it either. ;)

I don't think anyone would forget such nightmares mate  ;)

Timing is piss poor tbh NE5

Should have happened a few years ago ;)

you're right there. We would maybe still have Craig Bellamy here, instead of him maybe popping in the winner in the European Cup Final in a few weeks.

:blush:

Guest Knightrider

ONyt

Koeman - what experience does he have of overhauling every aspect of a football club, much less a struggling one in the Premiership? None - therefore not a candidate.

Big Sam has the required experience (I say required because the club requires these very things) in the following areas:

Overhauling club entire set up while also maintaining solid and consistent high league finishes at the same time on a very small budget. Neither of your choices have this experience or have shown able to do these things so why on earth should Newcastle United even look at these managers?

I think some people are seriously over-estimating our ability as a club to attract some of the names that are being bandied about.  :rolleyes:

*Aimed at no-one in particular before someone kicks off*

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We are no great attraction to a big name manager at the minute. I think we need to wake up and realise how far we have fallen.

Guest Knightrider

I think some people are seriously over-estimating our ability as a club to attract some of the names that are being bandied about.  :rolleyes:

Exactly, I'm all for aiming high but there comes a time when you have to face reality and in general NUFC fans could do with a good dose of it, certainly those who espouse fantasy world stuff when it comes to managers, players and expectations and demands.

Exactly, I'm all for aiming high but there comes a time when you have to face reality and in general NUFC fans could do with a good dose of it, certainly those who espouse fantasy world stuff when it comes to managers, players and expectations and demands.

a aa aaa hitzfeldchoo

sorry i sneezed

The club wouldn't renew Mick Wadsworth's contract either

I am not surprised this tit found Fumaca the worst Brazilian footballer ever. Also his little soiree to Argentina cost us as well, as  he brought back Bassedas at the cost of about £4million.

Guest Knightrider

a aa aaa hitzfeldchoo

sorry i sneezed

At least he was out of a job and did say he would one day love to manage in the Premiership and not especially for a big club. In hindsight though...

Well said HTT.

I don't post on here much but I read a lot, and I think for the first time in years, the club has actually made the right appointment at the right time.  Reading through, it seems like a lot of people feel the same way.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic right now - at last!  :coolsmiley:

Guest optimistic nit

ONyt

Koeman - what experience does he have of overhauling every aspect of a football club, much less a struggling one in the Premiership? None - therefore not a candidate.

Big Sam has the required experience (I say required because the club requires these very things) in the following areas:

Overhauling club entire set up while also maintaining solid and consistent high league finishes at the same time on a very small budget. Neither of your choices have this experience or have shown able to do these things so why on earth should Newcastle United even look at these managers?

thats as maybe but you can't deny sam was the obvious choice. i'm not saying those three would be better than him, but they would be 3 people of at least equal managerial ability who seem to have been overlooked completely.

The timing of the appointment proves that even Shepherd is capable of learning from his mistakes.

He only had to get it completely wrong five times in a row before finally realising that it made sense to give a new manager time to prepare!

Well done, Fred! Have a banana!

Is anyone concerned at all by the type of football SA might bring to the club?? It;s another major concer for me. People seem to be putting over emphasis on the structure he will bring to this club. It's a structure that i honestly belive Roeder was gonna bring to this club....scouting etc, i think ppl over ovr romantising this fact. At this point i am feeling disheartened,  i think that a precious oppurtunity to really see a top class renowned coach has faded because FS has shot his load too soon. The fact that he hasn't even attemtped (as far as i can see) to see what is available to him, and there is no doubt that there are some. off all those managers who say thy would like to mange in the remiership, (koeman, Houllier, Big Phil, Sven, Ramos,Capello, lippi, hitzfeld Hiddink etc....) Is everyone who genuinely thinks that SA is the right man for the job believe that not one of the manager emntioned above haven't got the ambition to stretch outside coaching one of the top 4 clubs, i think tat with a bit of loo you might find a couple, and for the club to not even investigate the possiblity is shocking. It's the same attitude which has typified the state that the club is in at the moment.

My other main concern is about ppls ambitions for this club, and one of the most overly used phrases which makes me so angry is "newcastle haven't won a trophy is 38years", it is such a terrible trap to set yourself, i think its hugely important for a club like this to winthings, but for me, i fear that if SA is the man to finally win a trophy, how long will you be happy for, surely you cant sack a nufc trophy winner???

Which would you prefer in 5 years time....consistent top 8 finishes playin turgid football and winning the league cup, or potentially what Sam may achieve (purely hypothetical and unfouded)

or

Consistent top 5 finishes for the next 5 year playing great football but not quite reaching the peak of a cup tournament.....(a la SBR)

For me it is the second one, it pains me to say that i would sacrifice silverware, but for me having the club in that sort of position consistely really gets the passion flowing.

Anyone who wants the first one is either really really old, or lacks the ambition this club SHOULD be having.

really?? lol, you've blown me apart there, pretty shocked by that, in 5 years time you'd be happy with stillbeing a mid table team?

So in essence you'd prefer a team like spuds when george graham was in charge to newcastle when SBR was in charge???

really?? lol, you've blown me apart there, pretty shocked by that, in 5 years time you'd be happy with stillbeing a mid table team?

So in essence you'd prefer a team like spuds when george graham was in charge to newcastle when SBR was in charge???

I'd like us to win as many games as possible. Don't care how we win them.

I'm not kidding myself, it'll take a few years to sort this club out but if he puts things in place - success in the League will follow. While we're waiting, a Cup win would be much appreciated.  :cheesy:

Would you rather us play pretty football, finishing 5th and winning nowt? Fuck that - want to celebrate something.

I'm not kidding myself, it'll take a few years to sort this club out but if he puts things in place - success in the League will follow. While we're waiting, a Cup win would be much appreciated.  :cheesy:

Would you rather us play pretty football, finishing 5th and winning nowt? f*** that - want to celebrate something.

may take a few years to get to champs league,5th should be a realistic target for next season.

Would you rather us play pretty football, finishing 5th and winning nowt? f*** that - want to celebrate something.

may take a few years to get to champs league,5th should be a realistic target for next season.

Wonder what the odds are on us finishing 5th? I'm all for setting high targets but it'll take a few years to correct things and start making the progress we should be making. Get things right off the field and we'll get things right on the field. My only concern with people making 5th a target is that if we finish, say, 7th - some people will say it's a poor season and we've underachieved.

that is shockingly blingsighted, of course i would prefer the cosistent top 5 with great football. Do you not see how important it is to estabilish the club for the future. Making this club more attractive to any top class manager is my priority, one who would take usto that next step on wininng that important trophy. But to say you'd prfer crap football with mid table prosperity is absurd at which point are we realising our potential???

shocking

Wonder what the odds are on us finishing 5th? I'm all for setting high targets but it'll take a few years to correct things and start making the progress we should be making. Get things right off the field and we'll get things right on the field. My only concern with people making 5th a target is that if we finish, say, 7th - some people will say it's a poor season and we've underachieved.

i've voted for finishing in a uefa place,and looking above us i think 5th is a realsitic target