Owen

Parky

Somethng isn't sitting quite right with me about the current situation reg ickle Mickey and I think he is getting away with more than some who it is said have attitude problems.

I'll be clear I think Owen is hedging for a move and that is why he hasn't made a statement regarding the rumours. He has in quite a calculated manner briefed his advisors to test the water with the press. And as we learnt today he's rather conveniently pissed off to Ireland and sharpish.

Setting aside the fact that he is a great player and an excellent finisher I think Sam needs to lay the law down here.

But what should we do?

IMO it needs resolving quickly and we don't need this hanging over the preperations for next season.

Sam said he will sit down with Owen and talk, i think Owen will be interested in his plans, tbh i cant see the top 4 coming in for him.

That's the main thing for me...

I honestly can't see anyone willing to pay double figures for him yet. Besides, i don't think Owen necassarily wants out yet, now that we're on the up. I have a feeling Sam will put it right! I think at the very least, Owen will use us the coming season as an attempted stepping stone. At the very least.

Allardyce needs to find out what Owen's intentions are and act swiftly, one way or the other.

If Owen can be talked into committing to us for at least another year, then great. If not, get rid of him quickly  and look for a replacement.

If I knew whereabouts in Ireland he was I'd go have a word with him.  :knuppel2:

Guest Guinness

I'm not sure Owen wants to get away that badly, I'm sure he feels a certain amount of guilt for the amount of time he's spent in the treatment room. Perhaps this reported dressing room unrest and the lack of organisation under Roeder has unsettled him a little bit, but hopefully with the appointment of Big Sam these issues will be resolved and he'll be persuaded to stay.

Guest fraser

I said this on another thread but I thought in the Sky interview shown on TV that Allardyce went out of his way to offer the olive branch to Owen in respect of the player's involvement with England. Certainly he appeared to be more than happy with Owen appearing for England in the summer adding that he thought it would put him in good form for Newcastle. A sensible and expedient offer.

Guest Knightrider

I'll leave it all in the capable hands of Sam and trust him to do what is best by the club whether that means keeping Owen or peddling him.

I personally would sell him, get as much as we can for him or try and initiate some kind of swap deal with interested parties if they have players we need and or are interested in ourselves.

If he does stay though I can't help feeling we'll have these same discussions every week and I don't know whether a new manager (especially at Newcastle) could do with all this uncertainty, not when so much work is to be done.

Lets face it, despite being a great player (was?) he arguably falls into the more trouble than worth camp when you factor in the fact his contract is winding down with every week, decreasing his sell on value, the wages he gets, his injury record and the uncertainty as to whether he and Martins can play together.

Mind if he did stay and showed his commitment by signing a new deal, I'd be delighted and that would be the best case scenario as his goals could make all the difference.

Down to Sam though.

PS I don't think he will leave, not for another season anyway. He's no mug Owen, but he's a sensitive lad and cares about his image as much as his career, as the two go hand in hand. He'll at least hear Sam out and will no doubt be interested in the "what if" factor, as he'll not have forgotten what happened to Liverpool in Rafa's first season. What if he stayed...

Owen often gets slagged on here (rightly or wrongly) for having a bad attitude. I think he has far from "gotten away lightly".

Is Owen bigger than Newcastle United?

definitly not if we measure height.

Oh snap!  :laugh2:

:boomboom:

Owen often gets slagged on here (rightly or wrongly) for having a bad attitude. I think he has far from "gotten away lightly".

Sorry?

I can't see Owen leaving for a number of reasons. 

First of all, I would be surprised if Allardyce signed on the dotted line without guarantees that our best player would be staying.  He probably left Bolton so he would have the chance to work with established internationals like Owen.  Second, Owen seems like a fairly straightforward player and I doubt this tabloid agent speculation comes from him...more likely his agents.  There is no reason he wouldn't want to make a success of his time here.  And third, even if the 9 million clause is true (which it probably isn't, as Shepherd didn't make his millions with lousy deals like that) I doubt there would be many clubs willing to pay it.  Owen's injury record is very poor and his reputation is not what it once was.  He would presumably only be interested in a move to the top 4, and why would they pay 9 million for a player the wrong side of 25 that has been crocked for a season when they could be looking at Huntleaar, Torres etc.  Until Owen proves otherwise, he is yesterday's man. 

There could quite easily be more interest in Martins this summer than Owen.

definitly not if we measure height.

Oh snap!  :laugh2:

:boomboom:

What if he stood on Crouch's shoulders?

Honestly, though, do most on here think he's bigger than the club? 

Sorry?

Simple question, do you think Owen is bigger than the Toon (Club)?

Sorry?

dont answer! I predict a personal attack!

;)

Somethng isn't sitting quite right with me about the current situation reg ickle Mickey and I think he is getting away with more than some who it is said have attitude problems.

I'll be clear I think Owen is hedging for a move and that is why he hasn't made a statement regarding the rumours. He has in quite a calculated manner briefed his advisors to test the water with the press. And as we learnt today he's rather conveniently pissed off to Ireland and sharpish.

Setting aside the fact that he is a great player and an excellent finisher I think Sam needs to lay the law down here.

But what should we do?

IMO it needs resolving quickly and we don't need this hanging over the preperations for next season.

Offer him a contract extension. If he even has to think about the decision - start the auction at £9m.

Sorry?

No-one is, why do you ask?

Guest Knightrider

But what should we do?

Offer him a contract extension. If he even has to think about the decision - start the auction at £9m.

Agreed.

Sorry?

No-one is, why do you ask?

No personal attacks, just was wondering what peoples perception of him was locally.  It pains me to say, but I believe he thinks he is.  I wish he thought differently, though.

I don't think he really gives two fucks about Newcastle deep down but then that could be said for 75% of the squad and a lot of players in a lot of squads all over the country.