Owen

Parky

So if this supposed clause is real, does that mean any club could have offered £9m the day after we signed him, and we'd have to accept the offer?

If rumours circulating down here are true, there were figures of £12m at year 1, £9m or £9.2m at year 2 and £4m or £4.6m at year 3.  They are only rumours so I've no idea if there is any truth in them at all. 

In my head I imagine that this is why they were late coming out for the press conference today:

Sam puts the top on an expensive looking fountain pen and slides it into his pocket.

Fat Fred: B-But Sam that's my pen.

Big Sam: It's my pen noOow.

FF: Erm, ok then.

Sam gets up and walks towards the door, he turns and says:

BS: Come on let's go meet the press, then.

FF (still astonished that Sam's robbed his pen): Wha... Oh ok then, I guess...

BS: Fred now that I've signed the contract, can I be frank with you?

FF: Yes of course, what is it?

BS: Well you know you went to the press and [makes " sign in the air] "blasted" Michael Owen the other day?

FF: Yeah, did you like that? [grins]

BS: [puts left hand on Fred's right shoulder and smiles back at him] Well yeah, of course I did. [chuckles]

BLAM!!

Fred is doubled-up on the floor winded and struggling to breathe. He cowers as he looks up at Big Sam who is stood over him menacingly.

BS: Never do that again!! Understand!?!

FF: Y-y-y-y-ess, whatever you say boss.

BS: I know. Come on let's go.

So if this supposed clause is real, does that mean any club could have offered £9m the day after we signed him, and we'd have to accept the offer?

It's not so much about whether the clause is real or not (or even the value), what concerns me is WHO gave the ok to talk to the media about this stuff?

Can't see Shepherd wanting to make details like this common knowledge.

tmonkey has already ans. :)

This is the gist of my anger with Owen....There is no way the paper talk would have been encouraged by his reps without his get go. Especially the level of detail of confidential information....Property of the club actually.

i love the way people form an opinion on someone by what they read in papers,

on the net etc.. (the same papers that said shearer had joined man u, englands gonna win world cup, amongst other things!?..)

until owen comes out and says screw you im off.. i dont have a problem with him..

look, its the transfer windows comin up, we're gonna have to listen to reports like this all summer with every paper thinking than owen is too big for the toon and hes bound to leave..

So it wasnt Freddy Shepherd in his car moaning at Owen's agents trying to engineer a move, it was the papers!

lol, idiotic remark!

If rumours circulating down here are true, there were figures of £12m at year 1, £9m or £9.2m at year 2 and £4m or £4.6m at year 3.  They are only rumours so I've no idea if there is any truth in them at all. 

That was my original guess as well, a clause that declined the longer he stays. All of course depending on whether we qualify for Europe or not. If we did, the clause can't be activated, if we didn't (like this year), it can. Of course, you all have to bear in mind that Michael Owen himself has to say yes to everything.

Guest smoggeordie

Can't believe (Well, I can actually) how Shepherd is still coming out with this shit.

Owen doesn't want to be here.

But how the fuck can you invoke it if you haven't played. How can you punish the club if you've been sitting on your arse for a year. It makes no sense legally, morally or even in the warped logic of the professional footballer.

It's not so much about whether the clause is real or not (or even the value), what concerns me is WHO gave the ok to talk to the media about this stuff?

Can't see Shepherd wanting to make details like this common knowledge.

tmonkey has already ans. :)

This is the gist of my anger with Owen....There is no way the paper talk would have been encouraged by his reps without his get go. Especially the level of detail of confidential information....Property of the club actually.

He's just testing the water imo. See if anyone's biting.

If there was any interest in him from the top 4 - we wouldn't see him for dust. 

But how the fuck can you invoke it if you haven't played. How can you punish the club if you've been sitting on your arse for a year. It makes no sense legally, morally or even in the warped logic of the professional footballer.

Means nowt how many games he's played or missed. The fact is, his value started to head south as soon as we signed him. The less time he has left on his contract, the smaller the transfer fee he commands. The amount of games he's played is irrelevant. In fact - the injuries he's had means that the supposed buy-out figures at the end of each year are optimistic tbh.

Shite state of affairs.

What?

£4million?

Get rid asap please!!!!!!!!

What?

£4million?

Get rid asap please!!!!!!!!

It's not about the money. >:(

"That was confirmed by the chairman Freddy Shepherd's words on Wednesday regarding Owen's perceived lack of commitment to Newcastle, which were so strong they bear repetition. "I'm telling Michael he has two choices," Shepherd said. "He either comes out and tells our fans, who have taken him to their hearts, that he is happy here or I tell him that not one of the big four clubs, Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, are interested in him."

Owen and his advisors had been offered the opportunity to speak of Owen's commitment publicly but he declined, which incensed the Newcastle chairman and leaves question marks over Owen's future at the club."

Good blog...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/05/11/owen_put_on_the_spot_as_newcas.html

Owen often gets slagged on here (rightly or wrongly) for having a bad attitude. I think he has far from "gotten away lightly".

Is Owen bigger than Newcastle United?

Probably, yes.

In his own mind, I'm sure Owen is far more important than the club he plays for at any time. Note that this is the same with any player at any club. They're pretty much all self centred tossers.

With the caveat that we don't know if Owen wants away, IF he does, then he really does need to question his morals if he's prepared to leave the club after what has happened since he joined.

However, the bigger concern must surely be regarding the moron who agreed to such a release clause at those figures in the first place. It smacks of doing anything to get short term gain (ie the trophy signing, if you will) and not sparing a second thought for the long term consequences.

Hard to imagine SA sanctioning that kind of agreement, but then that assumes SA would actually have input over that side of things.

Owen often gets slagged on here (rightly or wrongly) for having a bad attitude. I think he has far from "gotten away lightly".

Probably, yes.

In his own mind, I'm sure Owen is far more important than the club he plays for at any time. Note that this is the same with any player at any club. They're pretty much all self centred tossers.

With the caveat that we don't know if Owen wants away, IF he does, then he really does need to question his morals if he's prepared to leave the club after what has happened since he joined.

However, the bigger concern must surely be regarding the moron who agreed to such a release clause at those figures in the first place. It smacks of doing anything to get short term gain (ie the trophy signing, if you will) and not sparing a second thought for the long term consequences.

Hard to imagine SA sanctioning that kind of agreement, but then that assumes SA would actually have input over that side of things.

Quite confident Sam will have more input than any other manager with these issues.

Probably, yes.

Agree with everything you've said there, but with regard to the highlighted bit, but Owen could be seen in a 'no win' situation.  If he wants away and he goes, he'll be accused of having no morals bearing in mind what's happened to him over the past 2 years.  If he stays, some journo is bound to say that he did want away but the clubs who wanted him wouldn't match the salary being paid to him by Newcastle.  Irrespective of what is the truth, he could be damned if he goes and damned if he stays.

His advisors ought to thinking up ways of putting a positive spin on this.  The simplest way would be to come out and make the statement FFS has been asking for, " I'm not going to leave Newcastle, I want to stay".