Pre-Season Friendlies - Anyone know when/where?

GM

Guest NUFCnutter

Whispers from a steward that we have something lined up with Celtic again!

Christ on a bike, my ITK came up right!!! Whatever next???

Guest smoggeordie

SAM Allardyce's first pre-season programme as Newcastle United manager will include a visit to St. James' Park from Scottish champions Glasgow Celtic.

Gordon Strachan's side are heading to Gallowgate for a friendly on Thursday, July 26.

Big Sam told nufc.co.uk: "It's a great thrill to be the new manager of Newcastle United and I'm already looking forward to our pre-season matches.

"I'm pleased that we have arranged a game with Celtic at St. James' Park.

"As the Scottish champions and a side that did well in the Champions League last season, they'll give us a hard match, which is exactly what we will be looking for.

"I'm sure we'll get a big crowd for this game and that will make for the kind of great backing I'm looking forward to the team having at every home game."

Celtic have been popular visitors to St. James' in recent times, providing the opposition for Peter Beardsley's benefit game in 1999 and, of course, on that unforgettable night in May 2006 when Alan Shearer pulled on the Newcastle jersey for the last time amid emotional scenes at his Testimonial.

The July 26 fixture has a provisional kick-off time of 7.45pm. Ticket details will be announced in due course.

Celtic AGAIN! Arrrgh! Well, this is nice as ive got some Finnish mates coming over, and now they'll be able to see a game at least.

So, at the moment...

July 26th - Newcastle vs Celtic

Aug 2nd & 4th - Amsterdam Tourney (TBC)

Guest NUFCnutter

I'm still sitting here gobsmacked that my mate got it right! :o I know we play Celtic probably more than Rangers do, but my god, HE GOT IT RIGHT!!!!! Jesus on a Unicycle, you could knock me down with a feather!

Christ on a bike, my ITK came up right!!! Whatever next???

:lol:

Sounds good to me! It's been a decent occassion the last couple of times the Glasgow teams have come up. We had something like 32,000 for the friendly with Rangers a couple of years ago and it was a really good game. Looking forward to it!

Guest smoggeordie

Christ on a bike, my ITK came up right!!! Whatever next???

:lol:

Sounds good to me! It's been a decent occassion the last couple of times the Glasgow teams have come up. We had something like 32,000 for the friendly with Rangers a couple of years ago and it was a really good game. Looking forward to it!

Down  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

.com are reporting that Carlisle and Sampdoria will play at SJP this summer, although not yet confirmed by club.

They also report our preseason could be in Stegersbach, Austria from the 3rd to the 10th of July.

Guest kmdnufc

Didn't Juventus agree to come to SJP this summer as part of the Boumsong deal?

Yes that was part of the deal.

The Italian team that visits will be Juve.

Guest kmdnufc

That's not what I meant. I thought there were add ons in the Boumsong fee if they got promoted/he played a certain number of games etc. a la the Jenas deal? Or is that wrong? Could have sworn it was £3.3m rising to (potentially) somewhere around 5

Well will be f****** great if true tbh :lol:

Can't believe we sold Boumsong for 5 , gives you hope that we might get rid of Damage for 7 next season..

Boumsong has had a very successful season at Juve, he's played all but 8 of their league 40 games scoring a couple of goals. I know somebody in Turin (a Juventus supporter) and he reckons Boumsong has been the most consistent defender. It'll be interesting to see if his form can continue in Serie A mind.

Guest Geordiesned

Didn't Juventus agree to come to SJP this summer as part of the Boumsong deal?

Yes that was part of the deal.

The Italian team that visits will be Juve.

It was more likely to have been a gentleman's agreement rather than anything written into the contract so it's not a cert to happen by any means.

.com are reporting that Carlisle and Sampdoria will play at SJP this summer, although not yet confirmed by club.

They also report our preseason could be in Stegersbach, Austria from the 3rd to the 10th of July.

Dunno why we need to play Carlisle at SJP, surely just play them at Brunton and let them keep the receipts, no other prem teams ever play shit lower league teams at home do they?

Dunno why we need to play Carlisle at SJP, surely just play them at Brunton and let them keep the receipts, no other prem teams ever play shit lower league teams at home do they?

Why does it matter? A football match needs a pitch to be played on. Good for some of the young lads who'll inevitably play in what is a low-key fixture, get a bit of experience on the 'big stage'. Aye not much, but it's beneficial to em.