Steven Taylor issues ultimatum

Guest sicko2ndbest

people talk about Taylor having all the attributes

which attributes would those be? just becuase he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses (besides his brain) doesn't mean he has genuine ability

which attributes would those be? just becuase he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses (besides his brain) doesn't mean he has genuine ability

He is strong, looks to organise and lead, is good in the tackle, quite good in the air and not too bad with the ball at his feet. Also isn't bad in the opposition box.

Not doubting his effort. He always gives 100% as you say - which puts him above some I could mention.

I'm questioning his ability. He's very ordinary imo. Not bad, but not that great either.  O0

He has shown the ability to be great though and as said before when some of the youngsters came into the side this season you really could see how much more developed Taylor was. He is far from the new Terry or whatever others have claimed but there is no reason why he can't get to that level as he has all the attributes and although rash certainly doesnt seem as dopey as Titus.

Terry, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Toure, Carragher etc all had one thing in common, a commanding, quality partner to help them through games and teach them how to get over their weaknesses. So far in his career Taylor has been the one trying to get the rest to concentrate and defend properly, although this could be good for him in a way he still needs that strong, solid partner to develop him from the rash lad to a consistantly quality defender.

The lad definitely needs an older head next to him if he's going to develop like.  :thup:

He just tends to be caught out too often and seems to be scrambling about with last-ditch tackles. His distribution from the back is nothing special and I don't think he's capable of bringing the ball out himself. His reading of the game is canny but is caught out of position too often for my liking. Granted this could be down to his full backs being pulled all over the place and he's left to cover their mistakes/missed tackles.

As I've said he's not a bad defender and I'm sure he'll get better but, as we type this - I think he's very ordinary. Unfortunately. Can't and won't question his effort but he just doesn't look the part yet. Fingers crossed he gets a regular partner at the back who's going to bring him on.  :thup:

For the U21's and on a couple of occasions for us he has brought the ball out very well and created/joined in attacks. He doesn't really do it enough but that could be put down to movement from his team mates (or lack of) or just confidence to do it in the premiership (although with any of our other centre backs would you be confident to leave them alone? :lol: )

At the moment he is nothing special, he is rash and does make mistakes but he has plenty in him that good coaching and a good partner could get out. I have a lot of faith in the lad, probably a bit too much but I really see a lot of quality attributes that just need working on and a few errors to his game that can be ironed out.

Totally agree.

He's got most of the attributes to be a rock solid defender. He needs good coaching and a steady head alongside him though. Something he's, unfortunately, never had yet. I'd love to see him develop and become the assured centre-half he undoubtedly could be. Also agree with Dave that Bramble being released should serve as a warning to Taylor that he's not indispensable and MUST improve if he wants to continue pulling on a black and white shirt.

He is strong, looks to organise and lead, is good in the tackle, quite good in the air and not too bad with the ball at his feet. Also isn't bad in the opposition box.

right so he's decent in the air, not horrendous with the ball, decent in the tackle and is strong (no often you see then in a CB)

massively massively overrated

right so he's decent in the air, not horrendous with the ball, decent in the tackle and is strong (no often you see then in a CB)

For a 21 year old lad who has been playing with shit players like Moore,Bramble,Ramage etc i think he has shine to a level where we can say he has the abbilities to be a very good CB

He is not the new Baresi but he can develop to a level where we can say he is amongst the best CB in the Premiership.

Guest gggg

Right so he's got all the basics to become a top defender. What's the problem?

He's still got another 5 years learning the game before he reaches his peak.

Guest smoggeordie

10 before he should reach his peak tbh

Not sure about that one mind...

At 31 he'll have the experience and should be reading the game much better than he does now. However, after 11 seasons in the physically hardest league in the world, his legs will probably have gone. Any pace he may have had to get him out of trouble will have gone too. It's not his fault but (potentially) 400 games down the line - he'll be on the way down, sadly.  :(

Defenders

At 31 he'll have the experience and should be reading the game much better than he does now. However, after 11 seasons in the physically hardest league in the world, his legs will probably have gone. Any pace he may have had to get him out of trouble will have gone too. It's not his fault but (potentially) 400 games down the line - he'll be on the way down, sadly.  :(

Defenders peak late 20s to early 30s tbh.

He has many attributes which could lead to him becoming a solid center-back for NUFC. If you look at his rivals in the u21's: Anton Ferdinand, Liam Ridgewell etc they all are error prone as each other.  Experience will boost his decision making and good training could mould him into a good defender.

Defenders

He has many attributes which could lead to him becoming a solid center-back for NUFC. If you look at his rivals in the u21's: Anton Ferdinand, Liam Ridgewell etc they all are error prone as each other.  Experience will boost his decision making and good training could mould him into a good defender.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then!

I think he'll be fucked physically in 10 years time. He'll be able to read the game but won't be capable of influencing it. Could be wrong and I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  :thup:

Defenders

I think he'll be f***** physically in 10 years time. He'll be able to read the game but won't be capable of influencing it. Could be wrong and I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  :thup:

£10 bet his legs will stay. Not accounting for inflation/deflation, purchase power, etc.

Thread bookmarked and ready to be bumped in a decade if you agree to the bet.

PS, this is not an offer, it is an invitation to an offer.

I just find it amazing people actually seem suprised that a 21 year old will be a bit rash and make the wrong decision on occasion. A 21 year old whose best partner in that time has probably been Bramble no less!

His best partner theoretically should have been Ramage, both passionate locals, both lauded by the regional press, both immune from getting their arses smacked like N'Zogbia for thinking far too much of themselves way too soon.

Both were also in the team that got steam-rollered 5-1 at home in the FA cup by Championship shite Birmingham. Maybe someone should make these lads watch a replay of that match before negotiating new contracts.

I remember John Terry at a similar age. Slightly better certainly, but then again he was playing alongside the likes of Desailly, Lebouf, Gallas, etc, top class international centrebacks, leaders of women as well as men. Only top class international defender weve had in the past decade has been Woodgate, and that was when Taylor was still a toddler.

Defenders

I think he'll be f***** physically in 10 years time. He'll be able to read the game but won't be capable of influencing it. Could be wrong and I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  :thup:

£10 bet his legs will stay. Not accounting for inflation/deflation, purchase power, etc.

Thread bookmarked and ready to be bumped in a decade if you agree to the bet.

PS, this is not an offer, it is an invitation to an offer.

You mean 'invitation to treat' surely?  :D

It's a ridiculous post tbh. How could either of us prove his legs 'had gone' or not?  :lol:

Just my opinion that he'll be fucked by the time he's 31. You disagree and that's fair enough I suppose. We'll see what happens.  O0

I think that Taylor is a good defender and will only get better and better and more consistent with some better players around him and some good coaching. Even if he has done some mistakes through the season i think that he's been one of our better players this season.

Im glad that we have him here and specially as he's comitted and loyal to this club and loves playing and giving 100%

I would not imagine it being easy for him to perform and being consistent this season with some of the shit around him.

Im optimistic about his future and i believe he will be big part of this clubs future. He's young and willing to learn. And with better players around him he will develope as a player even further.

How could it be that easy for a young player like him perform game after game under big pressure and in a team without confidence during most of the season.

Of course he sometimes wants it too much and makes harsh decicions and give away stupid freekicks. But he will learn from that and grow both in quality and experience wise...

he has great potential IMO and im confident he will show that in the future..

Aren't you the one who really rated Bramble? Probably why you are so worked up about Taylor.

You won't find many 21 years old centre backs in this league who are better than Taylor imho. He clearly has a very strong hand when it comes to attributes he just needs help reaching his potential (as all the better defenders in this league have had).

Don't know if this was mentioned here but he was called for England's B side..

Aye was mentioned before, Kingdawson will be fucking gutted because "no-one rates Taylor".

What both Bramble and Taylor needed was a dominant very vocal defender, to be honest, my prediction is that if Bramble goes to pompey and Cmpbell stays there, then the bramble we all thought we would see will turn up to play. I cant imaigine Campbell letting bramble rest on his laurel for 2 seconds, a commodity that was in fruitfuls during 90minutes in an nufc game. The same can be said for Taylor, he possess alot of good qualitys, pace, anticiaption, bravery, strenght etc. When bramble played with woody, he was a good defender, becaue woody was the type of centre half partner who was 100% focussed on the game and would make sure hs partner was as well.