Fowler

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is, say, Eto'o a natural goalscorer?

I'd say no.

I'd agree. He's good but he's 'manufactured' rather than natural. He uses his pace to get him into the position and runs onto things rather than having a feel for finding the right areas. Hard to explain.  :-X 

I'm gutted he's leaving (obviously). He lost what pace he had long ago and is not particularly fit, but he's still the smartest, most skillful, cultured and deadly striker we have. Despite never having had a run in the side under Rafa, nor playing that often, he's still scored an average of a goal every two starts.

I can't see how you would not want him on a free, to be honest. Allardyce has a knack of getting the best out of players, and God's best is very, very good.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

What makes someone a more natural goalscorer than another player btw? this is something I've always wondered.

A more natural goalscorer/finisher is someone like Owen/Fowler, it is all about the movement and the technique used to dispatch a shot which can't be taught. A lot of strikers hit it and hit it hard which isn't really technique. But watch an Owen/Fowler and you'll notice the technique, same with Crespo and Romario and others like them.

Fowler - natural finisher/goalscorer

Alan Smith - not a natural finisher/goalscorer

I'd add instinctive strikes to that; just toepoke it and it flies in, the sign of a natural goalscorer. Score with your arse.

1yr deal he'd be worth a go, but guess he'd want a 2yr contract. The whole striker situation depends on whether we keep Oba n Owen.

As it stands, if our current strikeforce are still here next season, id be happy to take either Viduka (2yr) or Fowler (1yr) on.

Guest Knightrider

Is, say, Eto'o a natural goalscorer?

I'd say no.

I'd agree. He's good but he's 'manufactured' rather than natural. He uses his pace to get him into the position and runs onto things rather than having a feel for finding the right areas. Hard to explain.  :-X 

I'd say he's a natural footballer, but agree he isn't a natural goalscorer/finisher.

Guest Triglett

Aaah. This kind of relates to what I posted in the Darren Bent/'Spuds' thread. This is a player who'd demand high wages, a player who's on the wrong side of 30, a player whose best is long behind him, and a player who is unlikely to be motivated. And I think the last part, the issue of ambition, is particularly relevant - yes, Spurs may fall short of some of our players' expectations in the end, and we might lose a few to the top clubs, but it's a pretty key aspect of the group of players we have, which plays a huge part in driving the club forward. I just don't see that at Newcastle, yet. Firmly believe that Allardyce will turn it round for you though, after this few years of going stale (this extensive 'player profiling' he conducted while at Bolton is the right way to go). You just need to avoid signings like this.

Last resort yes. However he'd be an excellent marquee signing for Sydney FC.

Rather see him playing for Toronto myself. But thats my new found canadian bias coming into play.

Dont think he will offer too more than sibierksi/carroll or even shola tbh.

I'd take Fowler on a 1 year deal as back up, a clear improvement on Sibierski IMO.

A lot of people would be a clear improvement on Sibi. That's not really the point and it shouldn't be the criteria for signing players.

If it came down to the last week of August, and things were looking grim, i'd take Fowler then. But not before.