The Mike Ashley Poll

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Slightly worried - not sure what to think of him to be honest. I know nothing about him, he has suddenly bought 40% of the club without prior warning to the rest of the shareholders, seems a bit underhand.

Can't really be worse than FFS but part of being a Newcastle fan is to worry that every seemingly good pence of news will turn out bad.

Slightly worried - not sure what to think of him to be honest. I know nothing about him, he has suddenly bought 40% of the club without prior warning to the rest of the shareholders, seems a bit underhand.

Can't really be worse than FFS but part of being a Newcastle fan is to worry that every seemingly good pence of news will turn out bad.

Ashley doesn't need our club for the money he could make out of it, he's got more than enough.

Ashley doesn't need our club for the money he could make out of it, he's got more than enough.

Thats basically the way im looking at it

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Rich people don't become rich by blowing money on uninvestable businesses...

Well it's diversification in an area related to his main area of business, but I doubt we'll know all the motivations of an alleged recluse, from what I've read he certainly knows how to make a few quid, but there's always risk, some entrepreneurs even enjoy the risks, it's gambling on a vast scale, perhaps he thought "what's the most expensive yet least successful football club going? I can do that, I can build a wall successful football club"

Guest Invicta_Toon

Thats basically the way im looking at it

his initial outlay is going to be £200m

depending on where you look, that's about 10-15% of his total personal wealth

I'm pretty sure he is going to give a shit about what returns he gets

If you'll forgive more speculation since that's all we have, maybe he always wanted to own a football club ever since playing Subbuteo as a wee lad in Bucks, only some fucker's bought all the decent ones so this'll have to do.

Guest Invicta_Toon

as if you'd want to be owner of NUFC for a laugh and a bit relaxation

the bloke is off his rocker if that's the case

and you're forgetting he's a virtual recluse, so he's not in it for the fame is he?

Well of course he wants a return, but he is rich enough to bide his time on the investment, and the share investment, it's not like he could never get that back if it doesn't prove as fruitful as he'd hoped, unless something goes drastically wrong on the pitch I would think premiership clubs will hold their value at least in the medium term.

and you're forgetting he's a virtual recluse, so he's not in it for the fame is he?

Billionaire who carries his stuff in a carrier bag, that says 'eccentric' to me.

tad worried, because i have the feeling that until its all sorted out between him and fatty, no funds will be released for transfers.

whats more important, who we sign next month or who owns the club for the next decade?

get some perspective

If this drags on through the transfer window it will matter. Currently we have even less players than we had last season. We only finished 5 points above relegation last season. We need this take over sorting out fast so money can be made available for new players. There's no point having a billionare owner if we get relegated.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Billionaire who carries his stuff in a carrier bag, that says 'eccentric' to me.

says tightwad to me

have you not read some of the stories about his business dealings? strikes me as a bloke who if he dropped a penny it would hit him on the back of the head

Guest Invicta_Toon

tad worried, because i have the feeling that until its all sorted out between him and fatty, no funds will be released for transfers.

whats more important, who we sign next month or who owns the club for the next decade?

get some perspective

If this drags on through the transfer window it will matter. Currently we have even less players than we had last season. We only finished 5 points above relegation last season. We need this take over sorting out fast so money can be made available for new players. There's no point having a billionare owner if we get relegated.

i'm sure ronaldhino will be available in january

and relegation? behave, we have a new manager and Owen back for a start

Rather apprehensive at the moment. Just want the deal to be sealed, and for there not to be any nasty surprises ahead once Ashley takes over. That's the thing with change: you always want to be sure that the outcome is going to be as near to what you desire as possible, but there's no guarantees that it's going to go that way.

says tightwad to me

have you not read some of the stories about his business dealings? strikes me as a bloke who if he dropped a penny it would hit him on the back of the head

That's big business all over, he's just had more success doing so than the Halls and Shepherds

Guest Invicta_Toon

says tightwad to me

That's big business all over, he's just had more success doing so than the Halls and Shepherds

so we're agreed, it's not likely he's invested for fun and is actually bothered about the money he's putting in

says tightwad to me

so we're agreed, it's not likely he's invested for fun and is actually bothered about the money he's putting in

Yeah, I was just speculating wildly, and I didn't say he wasn't bothered, but all investment involves risk, and the share investment isn't likely to disappear completely unless the club goes bankrupt. But for some businessmen, high risk can be exciting, could lead to riches, could go tits-up. Either we it isn't going to personally bankrupt him.

get some perspective

i'm sure ronaldhino will be available in january

and relegation? behave, we have a new manager and Owen back for a start

Yes, because we all know all the clubs like to sell their best players in the January transfer window.  :rolleyes:

I can't see it being a bad thing really. If your going to spend millions on a club the size of Newcastle surely your planning to spend more to make sure your new investment is protected and moving forward as a business.  The guy is worth £1.9 billion, so he has plenty of resource and it's clear we need investment to move forward.  Newcastle with Allerdyce at the helm was the best time to buy, as surely it's better package than buying with Roeder in charge.

I hope around £40 million is spent wisely this summer and we have a squad that reaches a european spot next season, maybe even a cup final too. 

Guest newcastle4life

Happy a complete change hopefully it doesnt take the whole transfer window to sort and a good team can be put together.

Guest Mayor Steve

Perhaps the poll should be: Will you sell your share(s) to Mike Ashley?

I'll be happy to sell him my one share. I want to be the one who puts him over the 50% plus one share threshold. The quicker he takes control the better.