Worst debut you've seen from a toon player

Liam Liam Liam O

It wasn't his debut, but fairly early in his Newcastle career, John Bird had a 'blinder' against Man U at SJP -

was never the best of defenders(despite Bobby Charlton resigning from Preston in protest t his transfer to us..!), but this beat everything - he put in an Own Goal from around 20 yards which would have been a credit to one of Shearer's best rocket shots..

We came back from 3-2 down to 3-3, but lost 3-4 to another shocking error(from him too, I think).

Guest Geordiesned

Dave Beasant away to Everton. Lost 4-0 and Cottee stuck one past him in the opening 30 seconds.

It wasn't his debut, but fairly early in his Newcastle career, John Bird had a 'blinder' against Man U at SJP -

was never the best of defenders(despite Bobby Charlton resigning from Preston in protest t his transfer to us..!), but this beat everything - he put in an Own Goal from around 20 yards which would have been a credit to one of Shearer's best rocket shots..

We came back from 3-2 down to 3-3, but lost 3-4 to another shocking error(from him too, I think).

Was that the one where the scoreboard read OOOPS?

That was a long way out and the ball bounced over keepers head into Gallowgate net. the manager (Arthur Cox iirc) wasnt amused.

Paul Moran when we had him on loan from Spurs.  Think we played Leicester at home, and he honestly missed two open goals.  Andy Walker had a similar debut in similar circumstances. atentnol paroxitine

Dave Beasant away to Everton. Lost 4-0 and Cottee stuck one past him in the opening 30 seconds.

There was nowt he could do about any of them though, in fact he made a good save from one of them and Cottee gotthe rebound.

John Robertson.

Was being heralded as the next big thing to come out of scotland, Willie McFaul brought him in for something like £650,000 and he was shit. Something like 10 games, no goals then went back to Hearts where he came from.

Guest Geordiesned

There was nowt he could do about any of them though, in fact he made a good save from one of them and Cottee gotthe rebound.

Palmed directly out to Cottee tbh.  ;)

True enough. Great day out and one of the loudest away followings I have heard. shit scoreline, shit side. Beasant wasnt at fault particularly though.

Guest graemeh72

Stephan Guivarc'h

Honestly - at the time he gave me hope that at the age of 26 my hopes of winning a World Cup winners medal were still well and truly alive!!!

There was a whole string of crap debuts in that Everton game. Thorn and Hendrie, as well as Beasant and Robertson.

For me, the winner came a few seasons before, in a Second Division game at Chelsea which we lost 6-0. We had a young centre back named Halliday who was making his debut. I don't think I've ever seen such a nervous performance from a professional player.

Guest Geordiesned

Stephan Guivarc'h

Honestly - at the time he gave me hope that at the age of 26 my hopes of winning a World Cup winners medal were still well and truly alive!!!

He certainly stands out as having the worst ever "final" match for the club. His performance away to Tottenham was absolutely disgraceful.

There was a whole string of crap debuts in that Everton game. Thorn and Hendrie, as well as Beasant and Robertson.

For me, the winner came a few seasons before, in a Second Division game at Chelsea which we lost 6-0. We had a young centre back named Halliday who was making his debut. I don't think I've ever seen such a nervous performance from a professional player.

Were you at that game?

Were you at that game?

Yes, at both. The Everton game was the more depressing, because we went in there with high hopes for the season. Realisation came that we had a crap side.

Yes, at both. The Everton game was the more depressing, because we went in there with high hopes for the season. Realisation came that we had a crap side.

We started singing we want 4, then 5 and 6, I can't remember singing we want 7, I think we bottled tempting fate at that stage.  I'm on about Chelsea, not Everton.

Were you at that game?

Were you on the coach that got totalled at Wandsworth Bridge Roundabout?

We started singing we want 4, then 5 and 6, I can't remember singing we want 7, I think we bottled tempting fate at that stage.  I'm on about Chelsea, not Everton.

I don't remember that, but it was a very surreal occasion. We were so bad, it wasn't worth taking seriously.

Incidentally, I think Chris Waddle made his debut as a substitute that day. In all probability, he never touched the ball.

Guest David Kelly

Amdy Faye? I don't remember it, but it must've been s*** as he was absolutely awful everytime he played.

Amady Faye made his debut against Coventry in the FA Cup iirc and actually had a very good game.

His only decent game for us I believe!

No one can beat Fumaca, the bloke clearly wasn't a footballer.

I can't remember it at all but I would bet my house on Rob McDonald's first game being shite as every other game certainly was!

I don't remember that, but it was a very surreal occasion. We were so bad, it wasn't worth taking seriously.

It's one of the only things I remember, that and the Chelsea fans trying to get on the tube at Fulham Broadway only to see a few of our fans try to get off and the Chelsea fans legged it.  And the scrap yard in the corner of the shed, am I right in thinking that the two sets of fans in our end were separated by a corrugated iron fence?

Boumsong's debut needs a mention.

£8.5m French International defender looking like a less than average by Yeading, a team two leagues below the conference (IIRC).

It's one of the only things I remember, that and the Chelsea fans trying to get on the tube at Fulham Broadway only to see a few of our fans try to get off and the Chelsea fans legged it.  And the scrap yard in the corner of the shed, am I right in thinking that the two sets of fans in our end were separated by a corrugated iron fence?

I wasn't in the Newcastle end that day. But I do remember that going to Chelsea was a hazardous operation in those days. In order to get to the away end, you had to walk through a passage right at the top of a block of Chelsea fans, who'd all be turning in your direction. When you were going out, they used to keep you penned in this section by the gate, where you were an easy target for pieces of brickwork etc. Then there was the walk to the station.

Bit like the old Millwall ground - there was only one way in or out. The whole configuration of the grounds seemed to invite trouble.