£270m over 5 years to win the EPL & CL

Dokko

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=one-season-to-make-me-proud%26method=full%26objectid=19206949%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

One Season to make me proud

May 27 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Mike Ashley

Sam Allardyce will have just one season to prove he is the man to realise Mike Ashley's £400 million dream of turning Newcastle into a world footballing superpower.

That is the figure that Ashley has earmarked for his United revolution as he expects to convince chairman Freddy Shepherd to sell his stake in the club when they meet this week.

In anticipation of pushing through a takeover worth £133 million, Ashley - through his PR advisors - has assured the newly-appointed Allardyce that his job is safe.

But other sources close to the publicity-shy billionaire (right) last night revealed that he is yet to be convinced that Allardyce can establish Newcastle as one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

The Sunday Sun has been told of the big-money, five-year path to greatness which Ashley has mapped out for the Magpies.

The sports retail tycoon has budgeted an incredible £270 MILLION for winning the Premiership within three years and challenging for the Champions League within five years.

And although Allardyce will be given £45 million to spend this summer, he will be expected to push for Champions League qualification next season . . .

Or Ashley is prepared to follow Roman Abramovich's lead by parting company with Allardyce - as Chelsea's sugar-daddy did with Claudio Ranieri - after one season.

"Mike has huge respect for what Sam Allardyce achieved with limited resources at Bolton, but I can't stress enough just how big he hopes - and expects - Newcastle to become," a source told the Sunday Sun.

"Is Allardyce capable of taking the club not just up to the next level but into a whole different ballpark? That's yet to be seen.

"Of course, Allardyce will have the chance to prove himself. But he won't be allowed to hang around doing it. Mike wants big progress, fast."

Meanwhile, Shepherd - still in hospital yesterday recovering from pneumonia and a collapsed lung - is widely thought to be ready to accept the offer of 100p per share which persuaded the Halls to sell Ashley their 41.6 per cent share of United.

But the Sunday Sun has learned just how easily the Newcastle chairman could launch a rival bid for the club.

With his current 29.8 per cent stake, Shepherd is already within touching distance of the 30 per cent threshold which would oblige him to make an offer to buy all other shares.

And I understand he can count on being able to purchase low-key ally Len Hatton's 3.88 per cent stake at any time.

If Shepherd then approached United's institutional investors - who own around 22 per cent of the club - with an offer in excess of 100p per share, he would almost boost his holding to well over 50 per cent and leave Ashley himself with little choice but to sell up.

However, the timing of Ashley's purchase of the Hall family's 41.6 per cent stake - coinciding with a health scare serious enough to have left those around Shepherd badly shaken - has left the chairman seemingly poorly equipped to resist the newcomer's assault.

can I ask when an where it was quoted we would suddenly have 45 million to spend if Ashley takes control, an if SA was quoted right in saying he didnt know where this take over came from I wonder what the original FFS led budget was, it obviously has to have some impact either the players SA would have liked to get rid of but couldnt due to the fact we didnt have enough funds to replace them or that he can now go for a better calibre of player.

Guest nufc 4 life

agreed it is hope it stays like that. As said in the other thread 270 million over 5 yeras is a massive 54 million a year and all of the stuff in quotes will more than likely be true, becuase AShley always talks through other people as he doesn't do interviews himself.

Guest nufc 4 life

can I ask when an where it was quoted we would suddenly have 45 million to spend if Ashley takes control, an if SA was quoted right in saying he didnt know where this take over came from I wonder what the original FFS led budget was, it obviously has to have some impact either the players SA would have liked to get rid of but couldnt due to the fact we didnt have enough funds to replace them or that he can now go for a better calibre of player.

there isn't a quote saying that, but when there are quotes saying he wants to challenge for the EPl title in 3 years and the Champions League in 5 it makes real sense to be backing that up with that kind of money.

Quite worrying that MA is putting pressure on SA already.

Quicker the better imo.

News like this will only mean the fans will side with the new guy, obviously (and why the story is appearing before the board meeting next week)

Quicker the better imo.

News like this will only mean the fans will side with the new guy, obviously (and why the story is appearing before the board meeting next week)

Yeah but didn't Allardyce say that fans need to be patient about what he does.

Guest smoggeordie

Don't see any quotes there from Ashley.

Quicker the better imo.

yes but when he was saying that he obviously was planning for little steps due to the massive job and the massive ammount of money to do it in a short spell of time now with rich backing you would expect it to happen quicker, remember before the chelsea take over they were as much mid table as we are now.

Guest Darth Toon

Don't think the "pressure" will bother Sam one little bit.

He's probably still pissing himself with excitement at the unexpected 45 million he could shortly have to play with - in career terms he's just won the lottery and I'm sure he knows it.

The bit about Shepherd going for counter take over is pure BS. If he could have afforded it he would have done it a long time ago.

Exactly. If he wanted to/could afford to buy it, he would have just bought Hall's shares in the first place.

Quicker the better imo.

yes but when he was saying that he obviously was planning for little steps due to the massive job and the massive ammount of money to do it in a short spell of time now with rich backing you would expect it to happen quicker, remember before the chelsea take over they were as much mid table as we are now.

Quite a bit of bollocks you are talking there mate.  ;D

We're 14th, they were 4th, aye mid table, lets scrub off there trophy wins in the last decade before the takeover as well. (includes 2 FA cups, League Cup, Cup winners cup, charity sheild & Europpean super cup)

Quicker the better imo.

Yup, and i'm alongside him there in every way. But, if this is all true, he's got £45,000,000 to spend this summer - on top of an already half-decent squad - and we're in the bottom half come next May, then he's underachieving.

SO excited!

Guest nufc 4 life

Ashley doesn't give interviews he speaks through others.

Were 14th, they were 4th, aye mid table, lets scrub off there trophy wins in the last decade before the takeover as well.

13th is bad enough, don't make it any worse than it actually was. :(

Derek Ackorah on the payrole asap then.

Guest nufc 4 life

Quicker the better imo.

Were 14th, they were 4th, aye mid table, lets scrub off there trophy wins in the last decade before the takeover as well.

Chelsea were on the verge of having to dissolve, becuase they were so badly in debt, Abromavic (can't spell his name) did indeed turn them from mid-table mediocrity into a team too be feared by Europe's elite, and maybe Ashley could do the same for us. Like Yorkie i'm pissing myself with excitement

Guest nufc 4 life

Derek Ackorah on the payrole asap then.

lol if that's who he wants that's who he will get

13th is bad enough, don't make it any worse than it actually was. :(

Soz like.  :crazy2:

Quicker the better imo.

Chelsea were on the verge of having to dissolve, becuase they were so badly in debt, Abromavic (can't spell his name) did indeed turn them from mid-table mediocrity into a team too be feared by Europe's elite, and maybe Ashley could do the same for us. Like Yorkie i'm pissing myself with excitement

Chelsea were struggling in terms of finance, but on the pitch they were a much better team than we are now, you could say they were a better team then and the years before than we have been over the last 30 years +

Guest nufc 4 life

Quicker the better imo.

Chelsea were struggling in terms of finance, but on the pitch they were a much better team than we are now, you could say they were a better team then and the years before than we have been over the last 30 years +

TBH i don't remember them being that good and definetely not better than us when we were top of the EPl, but everyone is entilted to their opinion.

Quicker the better imo.

ok a bit of bollocks my mistake on remembering league finishes but my point was literally to say that they were not title contenders season in season out before the money came pouring in and while our final position this year was 13th (not 14th) I would still class us as a mid table side at the moment