£270m over 5 years to win the EPL & CL

Dokko

Chelsea finished 4th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 3rd in the 5 seasons before Abramovich appeared. Mediocre? Er, nope. But they did have money issues, I think in the last season the only player they signed was Enrique De Lucas on a free.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=233094

Good to see the Mackems clinging on to their straws. :lol:

"well thank god for our quinny"

I bet Quinn is honestly gutted at how the last month has went. We've stolen their glory in everyway since they won the Championship.

I started to read some of the posts, got half way down the first page and pressed the big red X in the top right corner.

Guest nufc 4 life

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=233094

Good to see the Mackems clinging on to their straws. :lol:

"well thank god for our quinny"

I bet Quinn is honestly gutted at how the last month has went. We've stolen their glory in everyway since they won the Championship.

I started to read some of the posts, got half way down the first page and pressed the big red X in the top right corner.

read through the whole lot, there are actually some sensible people on there, but some proper twats as well.

Quite worrying that MA is putting pressure on SA already.

Quicker the better imo.

News like this will only mean the fans will side with the new guy, obviously (and why the story is appearing before the board meeting next week)

Yeah but didn't Allardyce say that fans need to be patient about what he does.

yes but when he was saying that he obviously was planning for little steps due to the massive job and the massive ammount of money to do it in a short spell of time now with rich backing you would expect it to happen quicker, remember before the chelsea take over they were as much mid table as we are now.

Quite a bit of bollocks you are talking there mate.  ;D

Were 14th, they were 4th, aye mid table, lets scrub off there trophy wins in the last decade before the takeover as well.

ok a bit of bollocks my mistake on remembering league finishes but my point was literally to say that they were not title contenders season in season out before the money came pouring in and while our final position this year was 13th (not 14th) I would still class us as a mid table side at the moment

But they were a much better club than us before the takeover, miles better, you stated that they were mid table, they weren't simple as, they were as strong as Liverpool at the time, and pipped the to 4th place on the last game of the season, that's how close they were already to top four, were miles away mate, miles and miles.

Guest gggg

How the hell were Chelsea a mid table team and as bad as we are now? they were a top 6 team occasionaly getting in the champions league.

Anyway i dont believe any of that story.

1. No chairman makes any of his budgets public

2. It makes no sense to put pressure on the manager who's only just been appointed and he probably  hasnt even met

3. it's from The Sunday Sun

How the hell were Chelsea a mid table team and as bad as we are now? they were a top 6 team occasionaly getting in the champions league.

Anyway i dont believe any of that story.

1. No chairman makes any of his budgets public

2. It makes no sense to put pressure on the manager who's only just been appointed and he probably  hasnt even met

3. it's from The Sunday Sun

The Sunday Sun is one of at least two papers running the exact same figures.

Quicker the better imo.

News like this will only mean the fans will side with the new guy, obviously (and why the story is appearing before the board meeting next week)

yes but when he was saying that he obviously was planning for little steps due to the massive job and the massive ammount of money to do it in a short spell of time now with rich backing you would expect it to happen quicker, remember before the chelsea take over they were as much mid table as we are now.

Quite a bit of bollocks you are talking there mate.  ;D

Were 14th, they were 4th, aye mid table, lets scrub off there trophy wins in the last decade before the takeover as well.

ok a bit of bollocks my mistake on remembering league finishes but my point was literally to say that they were not title contenders season in season out before the money came pouring in and while our final position this year was 13th (not 14th) I would still class us as a mid table side at the moment

But they were a much better club than us before the takeover, miles better, you stated that they were mid table, they weren't simple as, they were as strong as Liverpool at the time, and pipped the to 4th place on the last game of the season, that's how close they were already to top four, were miles away mate, miles and miles.

i totally concede that i was wrong on my stats *"doh!" but my point was that the club was 20-30 points off the top spot and terribly financed. We are poor at the moment but is this down to having totally shit players? or a poor manager making poor choices? I would like to think if the squad hardly changed an we didnt have big backing we would be higher than what we are now.

I never said chelsea were ever as bad as we are now, all i said was in a broad sense we can be classed as no where near title contenders and chelsea like us were struggling to break the top 4 monopoly.

And people laughed when I said this..

I for one think Big Sam will be safe, this bloke won't of bought the shares not knowing what he's coming into...

You think after making an offer of £130m and supposedly having a £bn in his bank account, he'll sweat if he has to pay off Allardyce after a season? You think he'll sweat if he has to spend £6m to sack him?

One of the big reasons the Allardyce hire was a coup was because he's good at getting the best out of underachieving players, and he's also good with a shoestring budget. However, with this new fella, if he is actually for real, why would he want someone like Allardyce? Just think about it for a second. Why wouldn't he want someone proven at the highest level to be the manager? Assuming he's going to free up cash for his manager, it's just logical to go for someone who's proven and who will deliver some form of success. Big Sam has a season if this guy's for real.

And this..

I reckon Allardyce will be sweating. This new bloke will obviously want to bring his own man in, but he won't right away because he has to give Allardyce a chance, especially considering that he's only been here a week. I reckon Allardyce gets a year and then he's off (unless we do well). He'll have the funds and resources to significantly improve us now, so if he doesn't accomplish something next season, he's gone imo.

"Newcastle United has a wonderful heritage and the passion of its fans is legendary," Mr Ashley said in a statement.

"I am sure that, like me, they are already excited about the prospects for next season under the new manager's stewardship." (from bbc.co.uk)

looks like Allardyce is safe

Not really. Do you expect him to come out and say 'I expect success in the first year or else Sam's gone'?? Of course not man! He won't want to rock the boat right away, but seeing as he's been a highly successful businessman, do you think he'll let someone unproven like Allardyce try to take this club to a place that he himself has never been? (ie. Champions League)

Here's a dose of an 'I told you so' :razz: (if it all comes true that is..)

Guest Guinness

It would be amazing if he did in fact invest so heavily in the team. However I am sceptical as to the accuracy of the article due to the fact it's from the sun. Nevertheless exciting times if true.

It would be amazing if he did in fact invest so heavily in the team. However I am sceptical as to the accuracy of the article due to the fact it's from the sun. Nevertheless exciting times if true.

It's not the Sun, it's the Sunday Sun, not that they're much better, I think the same figures are also in the Sunday Mirror.  Would two journalists make up the same story with the same figures?

Being cautious and taking little steps is not incompatible with a large budget.

It would be quite sensible to spend the first large lump sum on building a super reliable squad that is not initially based on super stars, but is based on guys who can at least guarantee UEFA qualification (top 6) each year.

If this is achieved in year 1, Sam could easily then focus from year 2 onwards to get the genius players needed to start competing for the Premiership and CL contention.  This would very much fit within any such proposed timetable and would create a good solid team that will build a strong supporter-base due to consistent European performances.

Quicker the better imo.

Bollicks!  They were 4th in the league!

Quicker the better imo.

catch up will you grant retracted what i said and explained further down the thread.........

Quicker the better imo.

catch up will you grant retracted what i said and explained further down the thread.........

I know, i'm sorry. 

I realise more will be expected of big sam now, but i still dont want him to be too rushed.  We still want him to build a team and club that's good right through, not just bring in a load of stars.  And that may mean top 6 for a couple of years.

Youve got to remember manu, chelsea and liverpool are all loaded too (the latter 2 moreso than us) then youve also got spurs and villa wanting to break.

Its not on, Allardyce is a long term plan, money cant buy you team spirit and organisation & its a disgrace if Ashley is only willing to give him one season.

I just hope this doesn't mean we go out and buy more Duffs, Parkers and Emres.

We need hungry players with a point to prove Sam, so please dodn't succumb!!!

Stick to your psychological testing and all of that good stuff PLEASE!!!

The problem with having loads of money - and this is going to be a problem for all the newly minted second tier clubs - is not that you can't afford the players, it is that you have to convince the players to come.

Call it the Sidwell effect (except he cost nowt, obv), could have gone to have the premiership, probably, opted for Chelsea's reserves.

They'd be alright players if they had a reliable defense behind them and a good targetman in front of them.

Am not saying i would keep them indefinite, in fact if decent money came in id sell em all, but under a new manager they could have some use.

Its not on, Allardyce is a long term plan, money cant buy you team spirit and organisation & its a disgrace if Ashley is only willing to give him one season.

No, but not spending any money will not create team spirit and organisation as well. Money isn't a factor. The manager and the players he has is the factor. Mourinho spent a shit load and I personally think Chelsea have the best 'team spirit' in the league. Yet there have been teams in the past loaded with stars who don't understand the notion of 'team spirit', for example Real Madrid during their Galacticos phase. Money isn't a factor in whether team spirit is created or not.

Why is it a disgrace if Ashley is only willing to give him one season? If Allardyce does spend £45m, we should expect to be comfortably placed in the top 6 and actually challenging for the CL. When Abramovich bought Chelsea, he expected them to win the title in the first season!! Ashley's doing the smart and right thing. He's not stupid, and he does rightly expect success given the sum of his investment.

They'd be alright players if they had a reliable defense behind them and a good targetman in front of them.

Am not saying i would keep them indefinite, in fact if decent money came in id sell em all, but under a new manager they could have some use.

I know but in general I think we would have been better off buying players of a similar ilk who were still on the rise, rather than these guys who were cast offs from other top clubs.

No, but not spending any money will not create team spirit and organisation as well. Money isn't a factor. The manager and the players he has is the factor. Mourinho spent a shit load and I personally think Chelsea have the best 'team spirit' in the league. Yet there have been teams in the past loaded with stars who don't understand the notion of 'team spirit', for example Real Madrid during their Galacticos phase. Money isn't a factor in whether team spirit is created or not.

Why is it a disgrace if Ashley is only willing to give him one season? If Allardyce does spend £45m, we should expect to be comfortably placed in the top 6 and actually challenging for the CL. When Abramovich bought Chelsea, he expected them to win the title in the first season!! Ashley's doing the smart and right thing. He's not stupid, and he does rightly expect success given the sum of his investment.

I think the giant leap we are going to make, Ashley or not will be so significant to the fans that SA has at least another season here, even if Ashley is unimpressed, which i cant see him being as if were happy and optimistic and spending money, everyone is a winner.