Is there anyone good enough for Newcastle United?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Over the years an attitude of no-one is good enough for us has definitely creeped in.  :rant:

Most definitely, but then you're never going to please everyone - especially when we never have anything to show for it. Comes with the territory when you're a "big" club that's underachieving, I'm afraid. Still not sure if this attitude is as tiresome as the opposite end of the scale like, where we could sign anyone and they'd be mint. It's less funny, most definitely.

But seriously, the amount of times we've been burned recently by big money players being utter, utter shite you can understand why it has become the adopted attitude. However, a lot of the time the player has been made the scapegoat/taken the full blame, when really you might look at the fans/manager/coaching alongside it. That never gets mentioned with the likes of Viana, though, who could have probably been very, very effective if used differently and in a more cultured team (post-Shearer). However, with Sam here and his proposed backroom changes - I'm hopeful the mentality will slowly change as we actually start to get a ratio of success from new signings that heads into the "black".

It's the way of the world these days, man. No patience anymore is there? *Gets pipe out*

Guest Knightrider

Big Sam - uh oh, ex mackem, long ball, face like a bulldog chewing a wasp

Viduka - fat lazy Ozzie smoggy

Haim - he's no John Terry

Even our younger players like Taylor get wrote off constantly despite being nowt more than bairns as players not good enough.

People need to get a sense of perspective methinks.

If you look a bit deeper into things, it becomes understandable. Fair enough moaning about the attitude, but you need to look at why/how it's come about and then you need to go about cutting it out/eradicating it as much as humanly possible.

It's difficult to have faith in things after Souness and Roeder and the constant moments of madness that this club has put people through, I think people can be forgiven for being skeptics - although I would like a more positive environment as well. Especially at the match itself.

Guest Knightrider

Most definitely, but then you're never going to please everyone - especially when we never have anything to show for it. Comes with the territory when you're a "big" club that's underachieving, I'm afraid. Still not sure if this attitude is as tiresome as the opposite end of the scale like, where we could sign anyone and they'd be mint. It's less funny, most definitely.

It's the way of the world these days, man. No patience anymore is there? *Gets pipe out*

You're right of course and I agree, but the "lets sign Ronaldo" brigade are harmless, where as the "no-one is good enough for us" brigade... well I'm not so sure they are.

No one is good enough for us, not even Ronaldinho..i think our brains are a little fucked up from faliure after faliure..

I think in our current squad we have players who are good enough to wear the jersey, Given, Taylor, Parker, Owen, Martins ,N'Zogbia are all usefull to have in a squad once they are played in the proper position and with a good manager..

I always said that being manager of our club is one of the hardest jobs in the world, the squad is full of talents but none of them really produce a peformence that live up to their names, we have Alberto Luque in our reserves team ffs! 

I think with our faliures in the last 3 years  and how every "good" player we signed turned up to be just another flop is just factors that made our fans think that virtually no player is good enough for us.

I'll just leave the signings to Big Sam and won't judge anyone before i see them get a fair chance under him.

Its not just the "not good enough" its when players clearly have some talent but are "complete shit" and suddenly anyone would be a good replacement.

As someone who's been guilty of this in the past re: Carr/Babayaro, I understand what you're getting at, but there were times last season when a lot of people got to the end of their tether with certain players at this club - and probably rightly so in some cases. Clean slate with Allardyce here, though, I have to say. I wouldn't even mind Carr/Babayaro staying under Big Sam and his potential new regime to see what he could do with them. Nobody is ever past the point of no return... well usually. They'd have to do something pretty fucking disgusting to ever be in my eyes.

I think these people are in the minority to be honest.

Are they?

Every single player in our team had a thread about them being "not good enough", aside from Tim Krul and Andy Carroll who never really got a fair chance to play.

Guest Knightrider

People seem to have this image they we're a massive club when in reality we're not.

I think this more than anything needs crushed.

Impatience has been rotting this club for so long now.

Hopefully Mike and Sam will exterminate them with weed killer and plant some fresh flowers for the future  :D

I personally feel the local papers can have a lot to do with it. I wish they were more restrained and blocked from so much intrusion into daily life at NUFC. Is it me or do our players talk to the papers every day, do other clubs have it so bad?

I mean as in 'Shola: This morning I had Weetabix but next season all I'll be eating are GOALS for breakfast'

They ask the same old crap questions and its as if the players have no choice but to answer em all. Why can't they just ignore the press, get on with training and do their talking on the pitch, if you'll excuse the cliche.

I cringe at every chronicle/journal shitty exclusive at what Nobby or Given say before a match.......'We'll have to put last Saturday behind us and win it for our super fans on Wednesday!'................then they lose again....repeat x 30 times  >:(

Goin off the topic a bit but its what really annoys me..

Guest Knightrider

BTW, I'd be interested to hear rival fans' views regarding the same thing at their own clubs, whether it exists or not, I've noticed this mentality follows England a lot.

No one is good enough for us, not even Ronaldinho..i think our brains are a little fucked up from faliure after faliure..

I think in our current squad we have players who are good enough to wear the jersey, Given, Taylor, Parker, Owen, Martins ,N'Zogbia, MILNER are all usefull to have in a squad once they are played in the proper position and with a good manager..

I always said that being manager of our club is one of the hardest jobs in the world, the squad is full of talents but none of them really produce a peformence that live up to their names, we have Alberto Luque in our reserves team ffs! 

I think with our faliures in the last 3 years  and how every "good" player we signed turned up to be just another flop is just factors that made our fans think that virtually no player is good enough for us.

I'll just leave the signings to Big Sam and won't judge anyone before i see them get a fair chance under him.

FYP ;)

People seem to have this image they we're a massive club when in reality we're not.

We got the stadium of a massive club, the spending abillty of a massive club, the fans of a massive club, the players of a massive club(if you take our defenders off), but our peformence is nowhere near that of a massive club, wich is exactly why Newcastle are described best as "Sleeping giants" .

BTW, I'd be interested to hear rival fans' views regarding the same thing at their own clubs, whether it exists or not, I've noticed this mentality follows England a lot.

i'm telling ye man,it's not an england thing,it's an english thing and it is not just in football

Doesn't help when our own dear chairman still pontificates that we're one of the top clubs in Europe, biggest job in football blah, blah, blah. It raises expectation to a ridiculous level with some people.

Guest Invicta_Toon

you spacka's

just when the club has hit the big time you wanna crush everyone's expectations

FOOLS!

Doesn't help when our own dear chairman still pontificates that we're one of the top clubs in Europe, biggest job in football blah, blah, blah. It raises expectation to a ridiculous level with some people.

d'you think it raised the expectation or did he go slightly over the top but he had to say things along those lines (couldn't really say "had to get rid of the last fellah and nobody wants to come within 200miles of this place"), lot's of people knew this but still used it to beat him with.

Guest Knightrider

We got the stadium of a massive club, the spending abillty of a massive club, the fans of a massive club, the players of a massive club(if you take our defenders off), but our peformence is nowhere near that of a massive club, wich is exactly why Newcastle are described best as "Sleeping giants" .

I just think the whole massive club thing is irrelevant. It is the InterToto cup of football.

I just think the whole massive club thing is irrelevant. It is the InterToto cup of football.

Financial success is still the only way to become a success on the field.

. . .  and one day . . . . .

Guest Knightrider

I should clarify, Newcastle is a big club, even most mackems will concede the obvious, but it doesn't really mean anything and it most certainly doesn't win you 3 points on a saturday afternoon. Now big successful club...