Is there anyone good enough for Newcastle United?

Guest Knightrider

People seem to have this image they we're a massive club when in reality we're not.

I think this more than anything needs crushed.

Doesn't help when our own dear chairman still pontificates that we're one of the top clubs in Europe, biggest job in football blah, blah, blah. It raises expectation to a ridiculous level with some people.

d'you think it raised the expectation or did he go slightly over the top but he had to say things along those lines (couldn't really say "had to get rid of the last fellah and nobody wants to come within 200miles of this place"), lot's of people knew this but still used it to beat him with.

What I'm saying is, some people automatically believe something purely because 'it's in the paper'. These same people may also have access to the internet...

BTW, I'd be interested to hear rival fans' views regarding the same thing at their own clubs, whether it exists or not, I've noticed this mentality follows England a lot.

I can speak for another club.

Since we've had money, some of our fans have lost some of their grip on reality, and it is interesting reading here since the first whiff of your takeover, I can see the same thing starting to happen here.

The belief is that because we (or you) have money, that means we (or you) can afford anyone and should get them NOW, regardless of why they would want to come to us (or you).

BTW, I'd be interested to hear rival fans' views regarding the same thing at their own clubs, whether it exists or not, I've noticed this mentality follows England a lot.

Since we've had money, some of our fans have lost some of their grip on reality, and it is interesting reading here since the first whiff of your takeover, I can see the same thing starting to happen here.

The belief is that because we (or you) have money, that means we (or you) can afford anyone and should get them NOW, regardless of why they would want to come to us (or you).

WE have had a lot of money for a very long time.  we are still waiting . . . .

That's the other thing, having money does not equate to success.

I'm every bit as excited about our very productive youth academy as I am about our huge wad.

I like this fella.

Brum, what are your expectations for next season from O'Neill and Villa? What sort of players are you hoping to sign yourself? Carew/Young were already two fairly impressive coups for you, IMO, despite things not going entirely smoothly for either just yet.

Can't help but feel that what you describe is only natural and it just depends on people's personalities. I can't blame people for getting carried away/excited about things. It's a nice change from what we've had since 2005-ish.

That's the other thing, having money does not equate to success.

I'm every bit as excited about our very productive youth academy as I am about our huge wad.

Spot on!

We are a big club, not a successful one, but a big one. That does raise expectations and puts an extra bit of pressure on the players when the team is struggling. When we played Reading, who were about seven places above us, psychologically they still had the advantage of being underdogs.

Either expectations need to be lowered or standards need to improve, and I know what I'd prefer.

Do all your fans go on about signing Tevez too, mate? :lol:

I remember reading one of the Villa forums at the beginning of last season and some of the players they were talking about signing were fictional if I was being polite, I agree with you that some are getting that way on this forum too, I've seen posts comparing us with signing top players like Chelsea did in Abramovich's first season yet people are overlooking the fact that they were in the CL where as we haven't even qualified for Europe this time.

Guest Knightrider

Whereas I'm deeply troubled by wors and do hope this influx of new investment doesn't mean the academy which is just starting to show signs of a recovery gets neglected because OMG, we're loaded lol!!

Over the years an attitude of no-one is good enough for us has definitely creeped in.  :rant:

Current Toon Heroes: One paced ginger Manc DM, fast AWOL striker who has a good shot but nowt else, Milner is a hundred percenter who's shooting is shocking & this is matched by his poor crossing, the paddy in goal cant communicate to the morons in front of him, cant kick, is prone to the long shot & when given a choice of who to roll the ball out to Shambles or Nobby goes with Titus. AND THAT LOT ARE OUR BEST PLAYERS!!!! I think that proves we are the most understanding fans in the world, because as long as the player gives his his all to cause (WIN ANY TROPHY) & looks like he gives a shit then a place in our hearts is theres.

Whereas I'm deeply troubled by wors and do hope this influx of new investment doesn't mean the academy which is just starting to show signs of a recovery gets neglected because OMG, we're loaded lol!!

We did that once - under Keegan.  That was easily the worst aspect of the John Hall-onward revolution.

I cannot see it happening again, lightening doesn't strike twice.

er . . . .  ?

Guest Knightrider

We did that once - under Keegan.  That was easily the worst aspect of the John Hall-onward revolution.

er . . . .  ?

I'm talking more about not giving youngsters a chance because we can afford to go out and by a ready made player, or if a player does get a chance and doesn't shine straight away, the attitude becomes - lets ship him out, we can buy whoever we like. Something that has creeped into Stamford Bridge...

I like this fella.

Brum, what are your expectations for next season from O'Neill and Villa? What sort of players are you hoping to sign yourself? Carew/Young were already two fairly impressive coups for you, IMO, despite things not going entirely smoothly for either just yet.

Can't help but feel that what you describe is only natural and it just depends on people's personalities. I can't blame people for getting carried away/excited about things. It's a nice change from what we've had since 2005-ish.

We did this season what I expected, consolidation and mid table, given the fact we were shackled largely with O'Dreary's squad. Next season I want to see a top 7 or 8 finish. The season after that, top six. And onwards and upwards after.

When a club is as fucked up as we were and - to be honest - as fucked up as I think Newcastle is, it takes a long time to change things, it won't happen overnight. If Ashley has his wits about him, he'll do what Lerner has done this season and totally change the club from top to bottom. Every single aspect of that club has changed already. You've got to do that and focus on long term success rather than go shit or bust for short term results and risk screwing things up in the long run.

I'd like to see us sign a right back, a keeper (preferably Boruc), a defensive midfielder, a creative midfielder and a predatory goalscorer. I don't care how much we spend, I just want him to get the right players in. I'm not arsed if they're big names or not, so long as they do the job to a high standard.

I have to say, next season we're going to see good things from a few players we've blooded from the youth academy this year (Agbonlahor played up front looks lethal at times, although we cant rely on him yet, he's only 20), Craig Gardener looks very promising, Luke Moore is back from injury, Gary Cahill should get a decent run. I'd also throw in Shaun Maloney and Ashley Young (the latter looked very impressive the last few games of the season).

These are the future of the club. If we can mix in some experienced players, then I'll be very optimistic.

Guest MagicNumber9

I like how last season people were slating Mark Viduka calling him a fat australian shite, now this season alot of people are wanking over him

We did that once - under Keegan.  That was easily the worst aspect of the John Hall-onward revolution.

er . . . .  ?

I'm talking more about not giving youngsters a chance because we can afford to go out and by a ready made player, or if a player does get a chance and doesn't shine straight away, the attitude becomes - lets ship him out, we can buy whoever we like. Something that has creeped into Stamford Bridge...

Yes, know what you mean.  However, I do not think Allerdyce thinks that way.  OK, he is about to get 'influenced' by the Ashley money - but perhaps we will find that Ashley and Allerdyce share the same view  -  that an Academy is VITAL.  We just don't know yet, but we can hope.

It depends if Ashley is a short-termist, if you know what I mean.

Do all your fans go on about signing Tevez too, mate? :lol:

I remember reading one of the Villa forums at the beginning of last season and some of the players they were talking about signing were fictional if I was being polite, I agree with you that some are getting that way on this forum too, I've seen posts comparing us with signing top players like Chelsea did in Abramovich's first season yet people are overlooking the fact that they were in the CL where as we haven't even qualified for Europe this time.

In a way, it is understandable. You have to remember, we were so fucked financially towards the end of the Ellis regime that we were sending Erik Bakke back to Leeds because we couldn't afford his wages (he was on loan).

In fact, that was the straw that broke the camel's back, leading indirectly to the players statement last summer, O'Leary's sacking, Ellis' starting to really listen to potential buyers, and ultimately the sale.

Given that history, it isn't really surprising people react like they do.

The problem is that now, in that second tranche of clubs, there are lots of clubs with shit loads of money and only a certain number of players, and the fans of every one thinks they are going to be the next Chelsea.

We cant all be in the CL, can we?

We did this season what I expected, consolidation and mid table, given the fact we were shackled largely with O'Dreary's squad. Next season I want to see a top 7 or 8 finish. The season after that, top six. And onwards and upwards after.

When a club is as f***** up as we were and - to be honest - as f***** up as I think Newcastle is, it takes a long time to change things, it won't happen overnight. If Ashley has his wits about him, he'll do what Lerner has done this season and totally change the club from top to bottom. Every single aspect of that club has changed already. You've got to do that and focus on long term success rather than go s*** or bust for short term results and risk screwing things up in the long run.

I'd like to see us sign a right back, a keeper (preferably Boruc), a defensive midfielder, a creative midfielder and a predatory goalscorer. I don't care how much we spend, I just want him to get the right players in. I'm not arsed if they're big names or not, so long as they do the job to a high standard.

I have to say, next season we're going to see good things from a few players we've blooded from the youth academy this year (Agbonlahor played up front looks lethal at times, although we cant rely on him yet, he's only 20), Craig Gardener looks very promising, Luke Moore is back from injury, Gary Cahill should get a decent run. I'd also throw in Shaun Maloney and Ashley Young (the latter looked very impressive the last few games of the season).

These are the future of the club. If we can mix in some experienced players, then I'll be very optimistic.

We might have a fat Irish one going on the cheap if you're interested?

When a club is as f***** up as we were and - to be honest - as f***** up as I think Newcastle is, it takes a long time to change things, it won't happen overnight. If Ashley has his wits about him, he'll do what Lerner has done this season and totally change the club from top to bottom. Every single aspect of that club has changed already. You've got to do that and focus on long term success rather than go s*** or bust for short term results and risk screwing things up in the long run.

We might have a fat Irish one going on the cheap if you're interested?

Not after the shit Irish one you sold us last time, nein danke.

Guest Knightrider

Brummie, I'm not a big fan of MON, I certainly don't think he's as good as the media hyped him up to be for years, but I think he'll do very well for as he is a good manager.

Not after the s*** Irish one you sold us last time, nein danke.

It was worth a try, the one you got is better than the one we ended up keeping, at least he was when he was here.

Brummie, I'm not a big fan of MON, I certainly don't think he's as good as the media hyped him up to be for years, but I think he'll do very well for as he is a good manager.

I think it will be right man, right time. He's definitely the type to want to put his imprint on the whole club, and apparently, Lerner has involved him pretty deeply in everything he has changed at the club so far, so this is his opportunity to build the club in his image.

This year has been strange, he's dropped some bollocks along the way and we've seen some odd tactics (playing Aaron Hughes in midfield at Old Trafford is the strangest thing I've seen from a Villa side in a long time), but after that loathed gobshite O'Leary, he's a breath of fresh air.

He's got a decent team behind him, John Robertson and Steve Walford the main coaches as ever (incidentally, one reason I'd love Milner back is to see what Robertson could do with him, that man knew how to cross a ball in his time), plus Gordon Cowans runnng the academy and youth teams.

Despite the odd season - very good the first third, dreadful the second third, and at times excellent in the run-in - you'd struggle to find a Villa fan who is less than 100 percent behind the bloke.

It was worth a try, the one you got is better than the one we ended up keeping, at least he was when he was here.

That's true enough. He's a tryer, Hughes, and a nice, model pro style bloke, but he just makes the same mistakes over and over again. Stands off his man far too long, lets people start to go past him, sticks a leg out hopefully, gets away with it most of the time, but when he doesn't .....

Got a run out towards the end of the season after not getting a game for months, did precisely the above and we got punished by a goal within 20 mins of starting the game.

That's true enough. He's a tryer, Hughes, and a nice, model pro style bloke, but he just makes the same mistakes over and over again. Stands off his man far too long, lets people start to go past him, sticks a leg out hopefully, gets away with it most of the time, but when he doesn't .....

Got a run out towards the end of the season after not getting a game for months, did precisely the above and we got punished by a goal within 20 mins of starting the game.

Aaron Hughes all over. Was probably never really good enough for us, either, despite some outstanding performances. He has simply never changed his style of play since day one and will never be a success at a club with big aspirations. If we'd have had better fullbacks in the Robson era things could have been even better. The stand-off approach of his used to drive me crackers as well . He's like the ultimate soft-shite nice guy on the pitch.

Defenders shouldn't be like that. Shame though, because as you say he's a model pro sort of a bloke. Fairly average like, but probably not a bad lad to have in a dressing room. Saying that, nobody's perfect and he did have his moments for us, but what you've just described there is Aaron Hughes all over and you'll find posts saying that about him going back years if they're still on the 'net.