We badly need a playmaker/creative player

Guest Knightrider

SAy we do sign Barton and we do pay the full £5.5m is there any chance he could go to prison?

Look at the attack on Dabo and how it left him afterwards, then remember back to Duncan Ferguson headbutt which did fuk all yet he got 3 months.

I don't see how its possible for any club to sign him right now as Dabo is pressing charges and Barton will be found guilty where public opinion will surely see him get a custodial sentence.

Guest khyberpass

Well here are some stats from this year!

Suggests Milner and Martins compared well with most in the league...

Suggests NRC is NOT as good as what we have...Barton looks to add to our team BUT ...Arteta & Pedersen (or Cahill when fully fit) add more?

and if its true that Berbatov is only on £22k a week, double his wages NOW and get the man to the Toon! (if we cant get Zigic). He out performs Crouch for goals and assists and knocks spots off Bent...

Viduka is a brilliant value option....

Most assists  2006/07

1 Ronaldo (Man Utd) 14

2 Fabregas Soler (Arsenal) 13

3 Arteta (Everton) 11

4 Pedersen (Blackburn) 11

5 Rooney (Man Utd) 11

6 Bentley (Blackburn) 10

7 Berbatov (Tottenham) 10

8 Lampard (Chelsea) 10

9 Giggs (Man Utd) 9

10 Crouch (Liverpool) 8

11 Lennon (Tottenham) 8

12 Anelka (Bolton) 7

13 Downing (Middlesbrough) 7

14 Gerrard (Liverpool) 7

15 Milner (Newcastle) 7

16 Agbonlahor (Aston Villa) 6

17 Davies (Bolton) 6

18 Diouf (Bolton) 6

19 Kilbane (Wigan Athletic) 6

20 Little (Reading) 6

39 Viduka (Middlesbrough) 5

42 Barton (Man City) 4

64 Solano (Newcastle) 4

98 N'Zogbia (Newcastle) 3

121 Dyer (Newcastle) 2

122 Emre (Newcastle) 2

142 Martins (Newcastle) 2

156 Sibierski (Newcastle) 2

167 Ameobi (Newcastle) 1

177 Bent (Charlton) 1

209 Jagielka (Sheff Utd) 1

229 Nolan (Bolton) 1

235 Reo-Coker (West Ham) 1

246 Scholes (Man Utd) 1

255 Taylor (Newcastle) 1

Top Scorers

1 Drogba  20

2 McCarthy  18

3 Ronaldo  17

4 Rooney  14

5 Viduka  14

6 Bent  13

7 Doyle  13

8 Berbatov  12

9 Kuyt  12

10 Yakubu  12

11 Anelka  11

12 Johnson  11

13 Keane  11

14 Lampard  11

15 Martins  11

16 Van Persie  11

17 Zamora  11

18 Defoe  10

19 Henry  10

20 Kanu  10

21 Silva  10

22 Agbonlahor  9

23 Arteta  9

24 Crouch  9

25 McBride  9

26 Adebayor  8

27 Barry  8

28 Davies  8

29 Heskey  8

30 Hulse  8

31 Saha  8

32 Speed  8

33 Taylor  8

34 Bellamy  7

35 Gerrard  7

36 Kalou  7

37 Lita  7

38 Nonda  7

39 Solskjaer  7

40 Tevez  7

41 Barton  6

42 Bouazza  6

43 Camara  6

44 Jenas  6

45 Mwaruwari  6

46 Pedersen  6

47 Scholes  6

48 Ballack  5

49 Bocanegra  5

50 Cahill  5

53 Dyer  5

59 Bentley  4

63 Jagielka  4

75 Ameobi  3

98 Milner  3

101 Nolan  3

103 Parker  3

107 Sibierski  3

124 Emre  2

163 Solano  2

178 Butt  1

192 Duff  1

195 Edgar  1

231 Pedersen  1

234 Reo-Coker  1

Guest khyberpass

Do you have the stats for tackles made & completion?

Nah m8. Parker quoted as most tackles and amongst best tackle % in the league, with NRC and then Barton, but can't find the Opta or Actim stats to back this up

from the chronicle....

And he confessed to a close friend on Merseyside last night: "I just want my future sorted - and it's now between Newcastle and West Ham where I will be next season."

excuse me, but unless Lee Ryder is that close friend, how the fuck does he know this?

That paper just does get worse by the day.

from the chronicle....

And he confessed to a close friend on Merseyside last night: "I just want my future sorted - and it's now between Newcastle and West Ham where I will be next season."

excuse me, but unless Lee Ryder is that close friend, how the f*** does he know this?

That paper just does get worse by the day.

Just maybe this close  friend's day job is a football agent & his name could be Willie & he thought he would contact the local paper of one the clubs he wants his mate to go to next year.

Guest khyberpass

new i'd find it somewhere....

Tackling Player Tackles Tackle %   

1 Scott Parker      166      78.9%   

2 Nicky Butt          107      70.1%   

3 Nolberto Solano  78  73.1%   

4 Belozoglu Emre 74    78.4%   

5 James Milner 56      83.9%

new i'd find it somewhere....

Tackling Player Tackles Tackle %     

1 Scott Parker       166       78.9%     

2 Nicky Butt           107       70.1%     

3 Nolberto Solano   78   73.1%     

4 Belozoglu Emre 74    78.4%     

5 James Milner 56       83.9%

Nicky Butt missed more tackles than Nobby. Get Jimmy Milner in the midde of the park  he looks like he knows when to time a tackle.

Guest khyberpass

and the others....

Tackling Player      Tackles Tackle %    

1 Nigel Reo-Coker 135   87.4%    

1 Morten Pedersen 101 84.2%

1 Tal Ben Haim       107  76.6%    

2 Gary Speed         86    75.6%    

5 Kevin Nolan        65     67.7%

1 Mikel Arteta       113    81.4%

3 Joey Barton         87    79.3%

1 Paul Scholes        95    75.8%

1 Mikel Arteta        113    81.4%    

2 Francesc Fabregas 117 73.5%  

Emre is the most accurate passer at Toon, followed by Scottie..

Passing Player Passes Pass %    

1 Joey Barton        1,414 70.8%    

1 Paul Scholes       2,070 91.3%

2 Nigel Reo-Coker 1,008 78.0%    

1 Nolberto Solano 1,218 70.2%    

2 Scott Parker       1,160 78.8%    

3 Nicky Butt           1,135 72.6%    

4 Belozoglu Emre    962 81.9%    

5 James Milner         923 72.2%

2 Mikel Arteta        1,349 76.6%

WOW!!!    

1 Francesc Fabregas 2,585 81.3%

The reason to have Barton is puzzling...do we need him as a winger?

Crossing Player Crosses Cross %    

1 Joey Barton       255    30.6%    

Scholes less than 50...

1 James Milner     292     23.3%    

2 Belozoglu Emre 108     20.4%    

3 Nolberto Solano 92     25.0%    

4 Damien Duff       86     22.1%    

5 Charles N Zogbia 39   12.8%

1 Mikel Arteta         318 30.8%    

1 Francesc Fabregas 178 28.7%

Cheers

Guest khyberpass

For somone who is apparently lazy MGP puts his fair share of tackles in!

Hes not bad on the passing/crossing front either - as well as taking the most shots for Blackburn - however Bentley has the beating of him this season!

Passing Player Passes Pass %   

3 Morten Pedersen 1,123 63.3%   

4 David Bentley      1,076 71.4%   

Crossing Player Crosses Cross %   

1 David Bentley      282 23.4%   

2 Morten Pedersen 265 20.0%

Guest s0ftcore

Strange, I am anything but a big fan of Emre and recently spoke to fierce Italian Inter fan who goes to loads of games. He said that Emre still lives a lot of the hype around him from the 2002 world cup. He had a couple of very good games at Inter, but mostly was in and out of the team, sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to indifferent form. Basically he agreed with a lot of concerns I have about Emre.

I did not really pay any particular interest in Italian football then, but found it strange as loads of people on here as well as Turks I know do as if Emre was a lynchpin at Inter during his time.

The reality seems to be a bit different. I had a look later at his league stats.

2002/03: 25 of 34 games, in three of the games brought on as a sub, 3 goals

2003/04: 21 of 34 games, in six of the games brought on as a sub, 0 goals

2004/05: 19 of 38 games, in seven of the games brought on as a sub, 0 goals

Yes, but he is certainly proven world class and it's only Newcastle who are dragging him down...

Harsh. His league stats certainly don't show anything, but it's quite unfair to leave out his contributions in the cup competitions. Newcastle aren't dragging him down, no you'd have to be a Viana or a Luque to warrant that label  :-X

The reason I feel Emre is was world-class wasn't based on the stats but the way he played. A fine example, especially the game that made me realize Emre was a class among the rest was Arsenal Inter at Highbury in 2003. He gave Arsenal a hell lot of problems that night! Caught a few other games he played in and he was usually good.

Granted, Emre does lack the consistency. His best performance this season for us was against Pompey at SJP and I wish he could maintain that kind of high-level performance week in and out.

I feel he's very under-rated because he's not usually the one that gets the assist but starts the move from the back. He's more of a secondary play-maker.

khyberpass mentioned that Emre, proven by stats, was our most accurate passer of the ball and I guess that's what makes me rate him so highly because I'd get the feeling he knew what to do with the ball. This season when we were going forward, we seemed quite wasteful with the ball which was one of the reasons why we were always kept on the backfoot. That is one of the things we need to work on.

Strange, I am anything but a big fan of Emre and recently spoke to fierce Italian Inter fan who goes to loads of games. He said that Emre still lives a lot of the hype around him from the 2002 world cup. He had a couple of very good games at Inter, but mostly was in and out of the team, sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to indifferent form. Basically he agreed with a lot of concerns I have about Emre.

I did not really pay any particular interest in Italian football then, but found it strange as loads of people on here as well as Turks I know do as if Emre was a lynchpin at Inter during his time.

The reality seems to be a bit different. I had a look later at his league stats.

2002/03: 25 of 34 games, in three of the games brought on as a sub, 3 goals

2003/04: 21 of 34 games, in six of the games brought on as a sub, 0 goals

2004/05: 19 of 38 games, in seven of the games brought on as a sub, 0 goals

Yes, but he is certainly proven world class and it's only Newcastle who are dragging him down...

Harsh. His league stats certainly don't show anything, but it's quite unfair to leave out his contributions in the cup competitions. Newcastle aren't dragging him down, no you'd have to be a Viana or a Luque to warrant that label  :-X

The reason I feel Emre is was world-class wasn't based on the stats but the way he played. A fine example, especially the game that made me realize Emre was a class among the rest was Arsenal Inter at Highbury in 2003. He gave Arsenal a hell lot of problems that night! Caught a few other games he played in and he was usually good.

Granted, Emre does lack the consistency. His best performance this season for us was against Pompey at SJP and I wish he could maintain that kind of high-level performance week in and out.

I feel he's very under-rated because he's not usually the one that gets the assist but starts the move from the back. He's more of a secondary play-maker.

khyberpass mentioned that Emre, proven by stats, was our most accurate passer of the ball and I guess that's what makes me rate him so highly because I'd get the feeling he knew what to do with the ball. This season when we were going forward, we seemed quite wasteful with the ball which was one of the reasons why we were always kept on the backfoot. That is one of the things we need to work on.

The odd great game doesn't make a world class player. As I said, the Italian I spoke to and who watched him regularly said he was in and out of the team. You need to play on a consistent level to deserve the praise he gets from some.

As for his passing stats. The problem with his passing is that 90% of the passes who find its addressee are in the own half. That of course isn't bad. The problem with Emre's passing is that it is becoming erratic as soon as he is under pressure. Especially in the opposition half he loses awfully often possession and spoils everything he has done well (defensively) before.

I am very biased regarding Emre as I can't stand his unsportsmanlike antics, but I think the viewpoint of a lot of his fans is also very deluded.

For somone who is apparently lazy MGP puts his fair share of tackles in!

I don't know about this season, but the season before when he had his breakthrough, he was the player at Blackburn who ran longest in almost every game.

Stats are fairly useless when talking about central midfielders. Jermaine Jenas rarely looses the ball because he often passes to the player next to him whilst someone like Nicky Butt will try and switch the player 3 or 4 times a match..it doesn't mean Jenas is a better passer.

Parker or Reo Coker may make more tackles than Makelele or Essien but that doesn't make them more effective. Positioning and knowing when it's best to keep the team shape is as important as lunging into tackles... Parker might make a crowd pleasing tackle and take the ball out for a corner whilst Makelele might wait for the opposing player to kick it against his legs.

You also have to consider that Everton finished 6th and WestHam/Newcastle/ManCity all finished below 13th place so it is only natural that Arteta would have more assists than the others.

Guest khyberpass

Stats are fairly useless when talking about central midfielders. Jermaine Jenas rarely looses the ball because he often passes to the player next to him whilst someone like Nicky Butt will try and switch the player 3 or 4 times a match..it doesn't mean Jenas is a better passer.

Parker or Reo Coker may make more tackles than Makelele or Essien but that doesn't make them more effective. Positioning and knowing when it's best to keep the team shape is as important as lunging into tackles... Parker might make a crowd pleasing tackle and take the ball out for a corner whilst Makelele might wait for the opposing player to kick it against his legs.

You also have to consider that Everton finished 6th and WestHam/Newcastle/ManCity all finished below 13th place so it is only natural that Arteta would have more assists than the others.

Think you are a bit simplistic in your approach of..."Stats are fairly useless when talking about central midfielders".  for example your comment on Arteta naturally having more assists because Everton are further up the league is illogical. Everton's success is due to players like Arteta who not only had more assists but also a great tackling ethic at a high % completion...your argument doesn't work both ways..his assists helped Everton to move up the league, not the other way around...

Likewise, whilst Essien and Makelele do not have as many tackles (90(79%)/72(81%)), they do show there passing prowess with some of the highest pass % and number of passes in the league...

Michael Essien      1,760 85.8%   

3 Claude Makelele 1,445 83.8%

I agree that stats cannot measure the skills a player displays, but they do reflect some key attributes.eg Ronaldo was the best player this season - he was also the player with the most dribbles /runs (190) and the most shots (145).

this was Toon shooting....

Shooting Player Shots Shot %   

1 Obafemi Martins 77 39.0%   

2 James Milner 38 36.8%   

3 Scott Parker 35 42.9%   

4 Antoine Sibierski 34 47.1%   

5 Kieron Dyer 21 52.4%

and this is Toon dribbling..         

Dribbling Player Dribbles Dribble %   

1 James Milner 99 49.5%   

2 Obafemi Martins 68 50.0%   

3 Charles N Zogbia 60 43.3%   

4 Belozoglu Emre 57 56.1%   

5 Damien Duff 42 47.6%

And (on the whole) the more shots you have, the more goals you have, the higher up the league you are...We were only 15th for both shots taken and shots on target...Despite being 6th for passes, 6th for tackles,  and 8th for our defence!!!

Team          Goals  Shots    On Target    Shot Accuracy  Succ Passes   

Arsenal        63      512          226              44%              14876   

Aston Villa    43      367          154              42%                9251   

Blackburn      52      373          155              42%              10051   

Bolton          47      296          120              41%                8094   

Charlton      34      340          133              39%                8700   

Chelsea        64      496          216              44%              13338   

Everton        52        364          153              42%                8001   

Fulham        38        351          142              40%                7706   

Liverpool      57        540          214              40%              13068   

Man City      29          362        147              41%                8611   

Man Utd        83        552        256              46%              14958   

Middlesbrough 44      361        144                40%              8996   

Newcastle      38      348      140                40%            10483   

Portsmouth  45        425        186                44%              8543   

Reading        52        345        132                38%              7160   

Sheff Utd      32          377        147              39%              6946   

Tottenham    57        415        184                44%            11028   

Watford        29          336      135                40%            5762   

West Ham    35          342      134                39%              9377   

Wigan            37        363      148                  41%            7052

The fact was that Newcastles stats prove that they have forgotten how to attack...they can pass well ,but we were 15th for shots, 17th for crosses (and 19th for cross %)..this may explain why Sam is interested in Barton, who was one of the top 10 crossers last season... we have become the opposite of the team most of loved in the mid 90s, and my concern on the Big Sam front is that Bolton were one of the teams worse than us!

Emre could do the job for us as long as he is played as the attacking midfielder. Roeder's bumming of Parker meant that Emre was always playing behind Parker which severely reduces his impact. Not saying that Emre is close to Kaka, but try playing Kaka in the DM role (which was affectively the role Emre was playing in under Roeder) and see how useless even Kaka will be.

Emre was never realled played as a DM under Roeder, he just used to wander around like a clueless fucker.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Why did they finish 6th? Because they had a half decent playmaker? Might have contributed

Guest gggg

The Reo Coker stats say everything you need to know about stats, he never misplaces a pass because he never passes to anyone over 10 yards away.

Guest Invicta_Toon

stats are held up when looking at good players, and dismissed when looking at shit players

prozonetastic