The moral obligations of a football club... is signing Joey Barton moral?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Petay

I started this thread and I was trying not to let that influence my opinions, my intension was to look just at his own personal actions and not those by people related to him.  As for other people who knows.

I started this thread and I was trying not to let that influence my opinions, my intension was to look just at his own personal actions and not those by people related to him.  As for other people who knows.

Is anyone able to list the bad things that Barton has done to maybe compare against other players ?

Guest fraser

Difficult one this. I greatly admire Gascoigne as a footballer (goal v Scotland still thrills me) but he was also an alcoholic wife-beater. No doubt he had his demons. Barton clearly has his demons too, but apparently fights other blokes.

Bottom line, I'd love to be able to play football like them but I wouldn't want to be them. I wouldn't want them to be role models to my sons.

For me to stop going Barton would have to be worse, but not by much. He  could never be a true hero though, either.

It might be a sad fact but I think every successful team needs someone like Barton in their side.

Whether that be right or wrong is obviously the point of this thread but I think if we want to be successful, we might have to accept having someone with his temperament in the side

Is anyone able to list the bad things that Barton has done

Stubbed a cigar in the eye of some youth player who was setting his shirt a blaze.

Knocked 7 bells out of a French person (Dabo) :thup:

Showed his arse to a bunch of arseholes.

Assaulted a young Everton fan in Thailand, bit Richard Dunne's finger.

Arrested on suspicion of criminal assault and criminal damage after an alleged argument with a taxi driver.

Upset a few pricks who released books after a poor cup by saying "'We got beat in the quarter-finals. I played like s***. Here's my book."

They may be a few more bits

Guest khyberpass

Stubbed a cigar in the eye of some youth player who was setting his shirt a blaze.

Knocked 7 bells out of French person (Dabo) :thup:

Arrested on suspicion of criminal assault and criminal damage after an alleged argument with a taxi driver.

Upset a few pricks who released books after a poor cup by saying "'We got beat in the quarter-finals. I played like s***. Here's my book."

held the lad down to stub the ciggie in his eye....

when dabo was flattened, continued to put the boot in...

He hasn't got an off switch...really similar to Bowyer's problem.

The passion makes him a committed 100% player; the lack of an off switch turns him into a nucking futter...

He was hospitalized. It's cool though, as he's French.

I suppose, judging from your post, you're pro-Barton, even him as a person?

Aaach!Come on-the poor wee fella is always so misunderstood. 8)

held the lad down to stub the ciggie in his eye....

when dabo was flattened, continued to put the boot in...

He hasn't got an off switch...really similar to Bowyer's problem.

The passion makes him a committed 100% player; the lack of an off switch turns him into a nucking futter...

broad scouse accent

Guest khyberpass

The rumour was that Dabo called Barton a knob jockey :weep:

Barton can't have fancied him :D

He was hospitalized. It's cool though, as he's French.

I suppose, judging from your post, you're pro-Barton, even him as a person?

I still bear a grudge over the arrow in the eye incident of 1066.

I am not that bothered about Barton the person, if he joins us he needs to lead a life that doesn't distract or effect his or his teammates performance on the pitch. If he is incapable of doing this then we should not sign him, it is all about the team & not individuals.

Knocked 7 bells out of a French person (Dabo) :thup:

He also called Frank Lampard a fat cunt over breakfast with England if the interweb is to be believed :laugh:

But the thing that pissed us of most is the transfer request back last year. :huff:

The rumour was that Dabo called Barton a knob jockey :weep:

Barton can't have fancied him :D

JB was in stinking mood the morning of the pasting because Man City fans the night before had voted Richard Dunne their Player of the Season.

These are mostly wild working class men we're dealing with here not fuking ballet participants. It's football remember.

Parky were operating in a zone where fella's talk about how they pack there shopping.

Morals don't come into it anymore, if indeed, they ever did. Winning is the be-all and end-all. Points on the board and who the fuck cares how they're earned? Doesn't matter who scored the goals or how they were scored - a win's a win.  :rolleyes:

I doubt the whole "Putting a cigar out in a youth team players eye" episode was as bad as it sounds tbh.

As for knocking Dabo out, I don't remember people kicking up too much of a fuss when Shearer knocked Gillespie out.

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

Deserves a wider discussion in my opinion not just about Barton but the whole football and morals issue  :thup:

Is signing Joey Barton moral?

What moral obligations does a football club, our club have to fill, if at all?

none.

But it will be interesting to see how many people who supported the sale of Craig Bellamy for being a "cancer" change their stance on Barton.

Me ? If he's half the player Bellamy was, I'll be happy

In fact, he can stamp on Frank Lampards knackers as much as he likes .....

Talking of morals.... its it morally right for Beckham to cream £27 million for playing non league football

He is in LA a city where Kevin Costner can make 1 movie & get paid that sort of dosh so it seems fair to me.

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

Deserves a wider discussion in my opinion not just about Barton but the whole football and morals issue  :thup:

none.

But it will be interesting to see how many people who supported the sale of Craig Bellamy for being a "cancer" change their stance on Barton.

it's what they do here that matters to most...ie he may have been a twat elsewhere but if he keeps his nose clean here and does the biz,most will be happy.

none.

it's what they do here that matters to most...ie he may have been a twat elsewhere but if he keeps his nose clean here and does the biz,most will be happy.

exactly, as they were happy with Bellamy until Souness came along and called him a liar.

none.

it's what they do here that matters to most...ie he may have been a t*** elsewhere but if he keeps his nose clean here and does the biz,most will be happy.

exactly, as they were happy with Bellamy until Souness came along and called him a liar.

but that was bellamy not keeping his nose clean

here we go again..sorry folks!

But where do you draw the line?

We're owned by a personal friend of George Bush :(

Indeed. And I am conveniently forgetting Randy Lerner's considerable donations to the Bush election campaign(s).

I didnt know that.

You pair of bastards!  ;)