Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

shay given....for his testimonial season.

if you're looking for a leader,a true leader will do that regardless of wether he has an arm band or not.

My thoughts exactly, would Terry shut up if he didn't have the armband? Ofcourse not.

Shay deserves it.

Personally, I'd give it to Butt. Hes been outstanding for me. A close 2nd would be Given but I prefer the captain to be further up the park. :thup:

Either of those and I'd be happy. As long as they're vocal, have the ability to inspire and kick peoples arses when they're slacking :shifty:

The captain dosent have to play every game. If Solano is captain & Sam wants to drop him or rest him so be it, its no big deal. For me Solano should be playing a canny amount of games next season & is a big player for us. Just because your captain dosent mean your definetely going to start every game no matter what.

Butt isn't a leader in any way, why on earth would he be a good option!? You can't just throw the armband at someone after 1 good season, Parker is living proof of that. :thup:

How do people expect Given to organise a team, when he can't organise a defense?

The same could be said about Solano.

Naff post. :D

Our defense became considerably more organised when Nobby went into the backline; apart from his calmness back there, that was the thing that i was most impressed with.

No it didnt, Nobby brought some calmness to the right back position not the defence as a whole. He was also found out later in the season.

How you can say 'naff post' to Baggio is beyond me. The height of irony tbh.

if you're looking for a leader,a true leader will do that regardless of wether he has an arm band or not.

My thoughts exactly, would Terry shut up if he didn't have the armband? Ofcourse not.

Shay deserves it.

He deserves it for being at the club a long time?  Being captain is not a privilege, it's a responsibility.

Shay deserves it.

He deserves it for being at the club a long time?  Being captain is not a privilege, it's a responsibility.

heads or tails.....

Guest nufc 4 life

i think you lot make too much of what a captain does.

a captain is an integral part of the team and i'm not going to go into all of there duties as i am knackered, maybe some other time

Guest nufc 4 life

and i voted for Butt, but in a way i want to change this, because i think making Barton captain could be amazingly beneficial for club and him. He is starting a new leaf and giving him the arnband would show huge faith in him which he would want to repay. On the pitch he is exactly what you want from a captain it's just off it were there is a problem...

Guest super_shay1

Shay deserves to be captain, yes you could say for him being here for so many years, and he's like a adopted geordie and a true legend!!  :thup: :thup:

Guest kmdnufc

I went for Given. He's our most experienced player and he deserves to be captain, without a doubt.

Butt's been excellent this season but he hasn't been with us for as long. Taylor is way too young to be the captain of a club of our size. He's clearly still indisciplined, e.g. the DJ Campbell incident. I know he is passionate but he is not experienced enough. Taylor will almost certainly be captain in around 5-6 years, but for now, with competition coming in, his target should be to make sure he cements his place as our first defender on the team sheet.

Guest Magpiecn

Given is for me.But a captain should alway communicate with his teammates in a game,as a goalkeeper,Given isnt allowed to do it.So Solano is my another choice.

Guest kmdnufc

Given is for me.But a captain should alway communicate with his teammates in a game,as a goalkeeper,Given isnt allowed to do it.So Solano is my another choice.

I wonder if Nobby's English is good enough ...?

Guest Magpiecn

I wonder if Nobby's English is good enough ...?

:idiot2: I dont know.

For those saying Barton... :lol:

I cannot even begin to describe the disgust of the thought. To give the captaincy to someone who just joined the club, what kind of message would it send to the existing players? Would he have the respect of the players?

More importantly, how would Barton feel about it? I think players need to be at a club for a certain period before they can appreciate it fully. Besides, it would give the false impression that he's the star at the club now and we dont want that. What we want is a repentant player hungry to prove his doubters wrong. Giving him the captaincy would change all that.

Guest kmdnufc

Considering he could soon be off to serve a prison sentence, it's a ridiculous idea. Probably a joke ...

Guest Hodgson09

The official functions of the captain under the Laws of the Game are to participate in the coin toss prior to kick-off (for choice of ends and to determine who kicks off first) and prior to a penalty shootout. Captains have no special authority under the Laws to challenge a decision by the referee, however referees will sometimes talk to the captain of a side about the side's general behaviour. So who gives a shit who is captain? you are going to have a core group of leaders on a pitch no matter who is captain as long as the team are pulling in the same direction who is skipper means nothing, give it to Given it's just a title and I'm sure he knows to pick tails (it never fails).

Guest maznislav

I think Butt and Given are the best options for captain. I have voted for Butt, because I think it is better when the captain is a field player. As for the future if Taylor develop his talent and become an important first team player I think he should be our captain.

For those saying Barton... :lol:

I cannot even begin to describe the disgust of the thought. To give the captaincy to someone who just joined the club, what kind of message would it send to the existing players? Would he have the respect of the players?

More importantly, how would Barton feel about it? I think players need to be at a club for a certain period before they can appreciate it fully. Besides, it would give the false impression that he's the star at the club now and we dont want that. What we want is a repentant player hungry to prove his doubters wrong. Giving him the captaincy would change all that.

Does it matter how long he's been here? People are talking about Butt being captain yet he's only been back here a season after being sent out on loan because all the fans hated the bloke, how long a player has been at the club doesn't matter in the slightest as long he's capable of leading the pack.

Then you have to ask what you want from your captain, I want someone who refuses to be second best and has the mentality of a winner, someone who will bollock the remaining 10 players if they let their heads drop and lead by example by his hunger to succeed on and off the field, I want someone who has the balls to come out and say what we're all thinking if things are not going right, not like Shearer who backed Souness until the bitter end, someone who will grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag us kicking and screaming to victory.

All arrows point to Joey Barton as far as I'm concerned.