Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've already mentioned Given's dodgy season last year, which is the exception, not the rule to his other years here.

Aside from that, of course we'll never know what the situation will be come August. Might as well just say that for every debate going at the minute though!

I'll wager you that Given plays more than Nobby next term and that he'll be captain though, if you like?? Nothing too extravagant though, I'm in debt up to my eyeballs!

I'm not really into betting but if you want to bet on last season I'd consider it as long as I get first attempt.  :D

I've already mentioned Given's dodgy season last year, which is the exception, not the rule to his other years here.

Aside from that, of course we'll never know what the situation will be come August. Might as well just say that for every debate going at the minute though!

I'll wager you that Given plays more than Nobby next term and that he'll be captain though, if you like?? Nothing too extravagant though, I'm in debt up to my eyeballs!

I'm not really into betting but if you want to bet on last season I'd consider it as long as I get first attempt.  :D

Was just looking for a resolution mate, because we're not going to agree on things are we? ;D

Whatever happens, let's just hope that both Nobby and Shay stay fit/play well and that whoever gets the nod as Captain does a bang-up job and stays fit too (if it's not either of those two.)

I honestly don't mind much either way, although it's obvious who I'd prefer of the two.

Guest Samkk

Well, if we didn't select  a regular as Captain (I can only think of Given, and to a certain extent Owen barring injury) we will be rotating the armband quite a lot next season). The likes of Babayaro, Milner, Taylor and just about everybody would have a go at being the captain.

A Captain is also the Manager's right hand man or confidante, the link between players and management, leader on and off the pitch. Imagine the headache Sam would have if he got to discuss something confidential or tactical (i.e. the roles he wanted from every player, his football philosophy, his fears or doubts about certain players, specific encouragement needed for certain player, and all those informations that the manager wants to convey on pitch through the captain) and he got to repeat it all over again every week just because his designated captain is not a regular.

Imagine Sam talking to Butt one day about Dyer mental fragility and the following week telling Dyer about Butt diminishing pace (well it's a bit extreme, but I hope you get my point)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alan_Shearer

Not a clue why people are voting for Butt...

1) He's crap

2) He's never shown any leadership skills, he just goes about his business

3) He ain't even gonna get a game...a captain is a starter for every game...

Shade surprising but I can definitely see the logic.

Seems he's been pin-pointed as the man we're building a defence around, can see him playing all the time when fit.

STEVEN TAYLOR

Is the new Club Captain.

Take that as fact!

Interesting.  Makes Allardyces comments today about trying out different players in pre-season as a load of bollocks then.

Seriously hope he's strong enough to handle it.  It could either spur him on to the next level,  or make him do a Scott Parker.

There are positives and negatives for all of the likely candidates:

Given: long affiliation with the club however plays in goal and very rarely do they make good captains as they cannot communicate properly with the midfielders/strikers

Barton: captained man city, very passionate, but is a new signing and whether he should be made captain so soon after the move is questionnable

Taylor: young, passionate for the toon however might lack respect from others because of his age and may be too much responsibility

Butt: very experienced but probably wont play week in week out and still hasnt won 100% of the fans over with his love for manUSA

Owen: might make him stay but he will probably leave in january or the summer, doesnt want to be here and was a poor captain for england imo

Barton is my choice for captain as it is the start of a new era with new blood with Given keeping vice only through his brilliant loyalty so far

Guest redmayne

i wouldn't be against barton but i'd like to see his behaviour for 6 months before hand but we do need a driving captain and i dont think solano or even given

given would me more out of respect than being a good captain

either way though i'll accept what happens and support them

Guest Verlaine

Barton would be a good choice. Don't pull your weight and it's a cigar in the eye, bitches. All the motivation I'd need, personally.

Barton would be a good choice. Don't pull your weight and it's a cigar in the eye, bitches. All the motivation I'd need, personally.

Probably more motivational than anything our previous captain dished out. Unless the players ran shit scared of someone standing with their hands on their hips.

Giving Barton the arm band would be a sick joke, it's bad enough that we've imported another known thug without rewarding him with that.  Barton would be last on my list because of his baggage, if he plays and keeps his head down then that could change but as far as I'm concerned he has a lot to prove.

Giving Barton the arm band would be a sick joke, it's bad enough that we've imported another known thug without rewarding him with that.  Barton would be last on my list because of his baggage, if he plays and keeps his head down then that could change but as far as I'm concerned he has a lot to prove.

My thoughts exactly, except I'd describe him as more of a psycho than a thug.

Guest Toon83

Michael Owen should be added to that list, now that he says he is staying, what better way to show his commitment than getting the armband.

He has done it before for england so why not Newcastle, lead from the front kind of skipper

Michael Owen should be added to that list, now that he says he is staying, what better way to show his commitment than getting the armband.

He has done it before for england so why not Newcastle, lead from the front kind of skipper

Owen, lead? :lol: