How many central defenders?

Toon Amy

A subject that has been raised recently on another forum I post on is this - if we buy 2 more central defenders - Ben Haim and Rozehnal have been mentioned, then what will happen to Steven Taylor and his development?

Will this make him unhappy so he wants to leave?

Is it a good idea to buy 2 more central defenders who will effectively be better than him at this stage of his development?

What do you think?

Personally I think we need to replace the ones who have left - Bramble, Moore and Gooch, and I think that Steven Taylor is still young and has a lot to learn, and that competition for places is a good thing.

Another suggestion that has been made is that Sam Allardyce might have a different formation in mind, like 3 at the back with wing backs... not sure about that, but it is possible, it has been mentioned about Dyer as right back, and getting Leighton Baines.

Anyway, everyone will probably have a different opinion on this, so what do you think? Is buying 2 new more experienced central defenders a good thing or not? Will it affect Taylor's development etc? Will he decide to leave in January if we do get both targets? The most important thing is the team isn't it?  :coolsmiley:

Guest teepee

whatever happens i seriously hope that taylor gets to play as many games as possible - our best bet for a john terry like character :D

A subject that has been raised recently on another forum I post on is this - if we buy 2 more central defenders - Ben Haim and Rozehnal have been mentioned, then what will happen to Steven Taylor and his development?

Will this make him unhappy so he wants to leave?

Is it a good idea to buy 2 more central defenders who will effectively be better than him at this stage of his development?

What do you think?

Personally I think we need to replace the ones who have left - Bramble, Moore and Gooch, and I think that Steven Taylor is still young and has a lot to learn, and that competition for places is a good thing.

Another suggestion that has been made is that Sam Allardyce might have a different formation in mind, like 3 at the back with wing backs... not sure about that, but it is possible, it has been mentioned about Dyer as right back, and getting Leighton Baines.

Anyway, everyone will probably have a different opinion on this, so what do you think? Is buying 2 new more experienced central defenders a good thing or not? Will it affect Taylor's development etc? Will he decide to leave in January if we do get both targets? The most important thing is the team isn't it?  :coolsmiley:

The competition will be good for him.

I think it's definately a good thing. Competition is extremely important in the top flight and if players didn't have the competition, they wouldn't gain the motivation to deserve there place because it will be automatically granted.

Also, with the injury woes of last season, even with the optimism from the new scientific approach, injuries are likely and I would rather have a decent defence with a decent bench, than a decent defence and a so so bench that would struggle to make the first team at say the likes of sunderland!

Guest alex

Taylor's not that good yet anyway. He needs to develop if he's going to be good enough for us imo. And we're desperately short of centre-halves in any case.

He'll still be a regular, i would have though. But, as has been said, the competition for places will be very good for his development - as will playing with the likes of Ben Haim. I'd still really like to see an experienced fella come in like Hyypia, just to aid the development of our younger ones, and to effectively nullify the Ramage effect.

we should buy 3 centre-halves. Taylor is the only premiership standard one we have at the mo. Huntington and Edgar can then go out on loan, and Ramage can transfer himself to Berwick Rangers.

Well for a start off, we can not afford to have just two good centre halves. So on that score just signing Ben Haim would not be enough. On the other hand i wouldn't want to slow Taylors progress, as he is going to be a star. There's no reason why we can't sign Rozenthal and make them fight for the centre back spot. I would not mind moving Taylor to right back for the time being but didn't Ben Haim play at left or right back too?

Oh f*** Ramage is still here!? You know what with all this positiveness, with new players coming in an rejects, well getting rejected.. I completely forgot that Peter Damage is still in our squad! Big Sam, get that screw up out!! He could do with at least a loan move away to the mackems!

I think it's definately a good thing. Competition is extremely important in the top flight and if players didn't have the competition, they wouldn't gain the motivation to deserve there place because it will be automatically granted.

Also, with the injury woes of last season, even with the optimism from the new scientific approach, injuries are likely and I would rather have a decent defence with a decent bench, than a decent defence and a so so bench that would struggle to make the first team at say the likes of sunderland!

I agree with you. It's highly unlikely we won't get injuries, even minor ones, and competition = motivation. If we are going to compete with the top clubs, it's exactly what we need.

Allardyce may opt to play 3 at the back on occasion too.

I wondered about this. He's not afraid to have different formations to fit the occasion. Unlike the previous manager, who was not clued up about it.

Guest alex

Allardyce may opt to play 3 at the back on occasion too.

And use Taylor right-back at times against "up and at 'em" teams who play long diagonal balls.

Aye, very true.

I agree with you. It's highly unlikely we won't get injuries, even minor ones, and competition = motivation. If we are going to compete with the top clubs, it's exactly what we need.

Compete?! We will lay waste to the PL in the coming years. :razz:

I can't wait Parky. :)

Your Jedi mind trick worked wonders didn't it? ;)

Exactly. We never had a squad of any depth last season so we're not used to it  :razz:

We need a large squad of quality if we are to achieve anything in the coming seasons  blueyes.gif

I can't wait Parky. :)

Your Jedi mind trick worked wonders didn't it? ;)

Now Anelka. Then everything is in place.

Exactly. We never had a squad of any depth last season so we're not used to it  :razz:

We need a large squad of quality if we are to achieve anything in the coming seasons  blueyes.gif

Exactly, if you look up and down the premiership table you will notice that teams with smaller squads very rarely get into the top half let alone battle for european places. It's because they have no depth and thus no creative choices! With options and Big Sams 'tactical genius' (not the long ball... the other one)  ;D we are sure to challenge better than we did in the last couple of seasons!

Guest Knightrider

Taylor will play a big part in the Allardyce revolution and I suspect he will improve vastly under his management to become a very good defender for us, which he more than has the potential to do so.

Id be quite happy with ben Haim, Rozehnal, Taylor as central defenders. But id like us to get someone more versatile in. Someone who can play both out wide and in the central defence. Kaladze?

Guest Breezer

Some competition would only do good for Taylor. He will also be able to learn more under the more experienced defenders hopefully.