Glenn Roeder on C4 now

Aphrodite

Footballers contribute enough with all the Income Tax and N.I. they pay, surely?

I doubt very much if the bulk of footballers money is paid PAYE, tbh. Footballers may be dim, but they tend to have decent accountants these days.

Kieron Dyer didn't give any money.

No suprise there then.

Fulham and Watford had the most players giving money!!

Not the most glamorous of clubs and one of them even got relegated.

The reason no Chelsea players contributed is because Cashley Cole has been handing out financial advice in the changing room again...

He has a poster on his wall saying 'I must work to Glenn time'

Christ!

Am having a head in hands moment tbh.

Is he or was the David Brent of Football.

Imaging GR doing that dance?

:lol:

With Terry Mac as Gareth.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Glen was funny.

What was it, a days wages?

What a bunch of tight bastards.

Originally I thought it was a week's wages, thought fair enough. A day's though, and still under 50% gave it, bunch of twats tbh.

The actual money dontated is not going to make a difference - it'll be a million or so.  Split that between all the nurses in England and it won't be a lot.  The whole reason they're getting footballers to donate is to raise awareness and put pressure on the government.  Nurses have been offered a 2.5% payrise - this is below the rate of inflation so they will actually be worse off than before.

Newcastle - 12 players Titus Bramble, Celestine Babayaro, Pavel Srnicek, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Shay Given, Stephen Harper, James Milner, Scott Parker, Peter Ramage, Nolberto Solano

Michael Owen canny as ever.

Guest thenorthumbrian

These poor nurses on the poverty line  :rolleyes:

Plenty more worthy causes for money to be donated to

My mates lass is a nurse and she is on over £27,000 a year, I am not saying she doesn't deserve it but the myth that nurses on on the breadline is about 20 years out of date.

There's another lass I know who gets paid even more than that for wearing a nurses uniform - but thats a different story...

Guest nufc_geordie

In my opinion every player in the premiership should be asked to donate a % of their wage to charity and even more so, every player should offer at least one afternoon a week for community work. For the wages they earn and the way youngsters especially look up to them, after a few hours training in the day one morning or afternoon a week isn't going to hurt them is it?

If footballers gave away their money to everyone who asks for it, they'd have nowt left. Why should thye be pressurised into giving to something they don't support? Fucking cheeky, if you ask me.

Guest Bramble OG

dont really agree with the way she raised this cash, and also publishing a list of whos paid and who hasnt, id guess theres alot of players who didnt give to this who do give alot to various charitys.

as for people saying £27,000 a year is a decent wage, yes it is but IMO anyone who has spent any length of time in hospital can see what a specialized job they do which desrves a better pay.

And as for glenn...CRINGE!!

Guest johnson293

I watched that programme last night, and the first thing I said to the missus when she got to Newcastle, and said she was gonna talk to Glenn Roeder, was "This'll be where he lost the dressing room, for asking them to give up a days wages!"  ;D

But that sign on the wall... "Glenn Time".. very David Brent!!!  :uglystupid2:  Can't imagine what Big Sam must have thought going in and seeing that!

Seriously though, in the grand scheme of things, I found it pretty shoddy that these players, some/most of the them on tens of thousands a week, woudln't give up one days pay for a very public, and decent cause.

One days pay wouldn't bankrupt even the youngest/lowest paid footballers, would it?

Though maybe the reluctance came from the fact that if they did it so easily once for one cause, then next week there'll be another cause wanting a similar thing, and it would never end.

do ya recon he practiced how to look like a tit on camera or just him being natural ???

Will he ever get a job in football again. ?  There are no clubs clamouring to get him but  he might find his true level managing Stenhousemuir in the lower Scottish leagues.

My mates lass is a nurse and she is on over £27,000 a year, I am not saying she doesn't deserve it but the myth that nurses on on the breadline is about 20 years out of date.

There's another lass I know who gets paid even more than that for wearing a nurses uniform - but thats a different story...

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

dont really agree with the way she raised this cash, and also publishing a list of whos paid and who hasnt, id guess theres alot of players who didnt give to this who do give alot to various charitys.

as for people saying £27,000 a year is a decent wage, yes it is but IMO anyone who has spent any length of time in hospital can see what a specialized job they do which desrves a better pay.

And as for glenn...CRINGE!!

Im not the brummies biggest fan but Adrian Chiles hit the nail right on the head on that show. Wages are determined by demand and supply, not by how morally and ethically pleasing their duties entail. Premiership footballers fanny about kicking a ball for 90 minutes and dont save lives, but there is a miniscule amount of players who can play to that level. Obviously some people slip through the net like Amdy Faye and cannot believe their luck, but that is another story. Nursing is a worthy profession and they do great jobs but obviously the talent pool is far bigger.

Like many have said on here, i think there are far more worthy causes. Many other professions involve people working on the poverty line, but due to the nature of their job are given no sympathy whatsoever.

Newcastle - 12 players Titus Bramble, Celestine Babayaro, Pavel Srnicek, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Shay Given, Stephen Harper, James Milner, Scott Parker, Peter Ramage, Nolberto Solano

Michael Owen canny as ever.

Lets not forget Steven Taylor, Kieron Dyer, Emre, Obafemi Martins, Mark Viduka, Antoine Sibierski, Craig Moore, Oguchi Onyewu, Matty Patisson, Albert Luque, Charles N'Zogbia, Paul Huntington, David Edgar, Tim Krul, Shola Ameobi, Olivier Bernard and Andrew Carroll.

Besides, a couple players may be unaware of the appeal having spent much oftheir time training separately from others.

I'm sure the majority of our players give to charity, but they can't give to everyone, and I think it is scandalous that someone can effectively name and shame non-participants, who as far as we know, could be donating thousands to many other equally worthy causes.

Chelsea did the right thing by donating a collective amount on behalf of the club rather than leaving the players to make individual contributions.