Tuncay apparently signs for Boro

KaKa

Its really hard to say if a player from the turkish league is good or not. Its always a bit of a gamble isnt it..

From what ive seen of him he looks lika a really good player and boro would be just too boring!

Boro have apparently tied things up, shame...

If thats true, I think I'm gonna cry.

Tuncay is CL class, and to go to boro will destroy his career IMO, because he should go to a club that is better than fenerbahce, not the other way round.

Fenerbahce's highly-rated striker Tuncay Sanli will play in the Premiership for Middlesbrough next season. The player's agent, Erdinc Sehit, told a Turkish news agency on Tuesday night that Tuncay will sign a four-year contract with Boro worth £2.2 million a year.

Ambitious Middlesbrough Win Race For Tuncay

zoom - galleria

Earlier in the day, rumours were rife that a move to England was imminent, but y Fenerbahce's chairman Aziz Yildirim suggested that Birmingham City were in pole position to snare the striker.

Yildirim said Fener were doing their best to persuade Tuncay to stay at the Istanbul club: "We want him to be a Fenerbahce legend," he said, "but he insists to play in Europe. I asked him 'Where will you go?', and he answered me, 'I want to play in Birmingham.' I told him that Birmingham don't play in Europe. It's not a

more important team than Fenerbahce. He asked me for two days to think about it.

"But after our meeting with his agent yesterday, I understood that he hadn't changed his mind. He is in contact with Birmingham and Manchester City. We'll wait until he changes his mind."

However, Middlesbrough appear to have outflanked both Fenerbahce and their own Premiership rivals.

Boro chief executive Keith Lamb flew to Istanbul for talks with Tuncay's representatives as they sought to plug the gap created by Mark Viduka's departure.

Tuncay was out of contract at Fenerbahce and had effectively issued a 'come and get me' plea to Premiership club. He cited Middlesbrough as one of the clubs he'd like to join, possibly because his friend Emre is up the road from Teesside at Newcastle United, on Tyneside.

The tall 25-year-old striker has scored 12 goals in 38 appearances for Turkey, and 77 in just over 200 appearances for Fenerbahce.

From Boro's point of view an additional attraction was that Tuncay was a free agent, so no transfer fee would be payable and that would enable the club to boost the player's salary.

Meanwhile, it is understood that Lamb could also head to Spain for talks with Levante officials regarding right-sided midfielder Mustapha Riga. Boro reportedly had a bid of £1.3 million for Riga turned down by Levante, who are seeking twice that amount for the 25-year-old.

Other reports in Holland have linked Boro with Feyenoord striker Romeo Castelen.

The moves confirm that Boro chairman Steve Gibson is targeting some major signings before the start of the new Premiership season.

He has suggested that the club will be trying to bring in four major signings this summer, and is backing manager Gareth Southgate's side to finish in the top six in 2007-08.

Gibson told BBC Radio Cleveland: "We're talking to players who will improve the attacking part of the team. Players with flair, pace and strength.

"I honestly think we have the chance of pulling off one or two spectacular signings that will excite the fans.

"We feel that if we get the right players and with the current spine of the team that looking for a place in the top six or top seven is not beyond us.

"We have some big targets. Obviously, we need one striker, preferably two.

"We need somebody on the right, we would like another midfield player and we are looking hard at the right-back situation.

"Gareth has his targets and we have more knowledge of players globally than we have perhaps ever had before.

"It is no more difficult for us than it is for our peers to attract players. We are on a virtually level playing field once you get outside the big-hitters."

The club have already secured Jonathan Woodgate on a permanent basis in a £7 million transfer from Real Madrid, and reached agreement with Arsenal for French striker Jeremie Aliadiere.

link  http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=326617

Hmm normally I'd question why we weren't interested in a player like Tuncay for free.  But I trust Allardyce so I assume he's either not good enough or doesn't fit our plans.

Hmm normally I'd question why we weren't interested in a player like Tuncay for free.  But I trust Allardyce so I assume he's either not good enough or doesn't fit our plans.

1st touch of an Ameobi tbh.

Very hit and miss, can see him winning them the odd game, but for the other 34 he'd just not be there.

I reckon he's need a good team to perform well in, and he hasn't got that.

Yildirim said Fener were doing their best to persuade Tuncay to stay at the Istanbul club: "We want him to be a Fenerbahce legend," he said, "but he insists to play in Europe. I asked him 'Where will you go?', and he answered me, 'I want to play in Birmingham.' I told him that Birmingham don't play in Europe. It's not a more important team than Fenerbahce. He asked me for two days to think about it.

:lol:

Guest AceDeuce

really a bit dissapointing that he's going to boro.

but it doesnt really matter where he plays because he's that kind of player

who works 99 minutes for his team and who wants to win every game.

he choose a weaker club so that he can show himself and i bet he will do well.

also i heard that he can leave after 1 or 2 years for 5 M.

Where is that turkish gadgy that was convinced he was signing for Inter, and Newcastle wouldnt even come into his thinking?

Dissapointing we havent wanted to take a punt on him, but Giuly would probably be a better bet, plus he is good on either wing, whilst Tuncay is more left sided, good signing for Boro though, will be interesting to see how he does.

That said we might not be interested in getting anyone for those positions.

Guest maddog2

77 goals isn't a very good return for 200 odd games - especially as it's the turkish league, he should be banging in a goal every second game atleast.