German model season ticket prices - 0% Toon warning.

brummie

From next season, Villa have moved the away fans from their usual spot behind the goal in the lower north stand (those of you who have been to games as an away fan at VP will know, these are fucking awful seats, next to no leg room and a poor view of the pitch) to the corner section, upper and lower, of the Witton Lane stand, so Villa fans will be behind that goal next year.

What is interesting though, is that the club are announcing on Monday that they are punting season tickets in that section at 200 quid for adults, and *50* quid for kids. Apart from the fact that these will be easily the cheapest STs in the PL, this raises an interesting thought - firstly, the availability of exceptionally cheap season tickets concentrated in one part of the ground might lead to that part of the ground becoming more edgy / atmospheric.

Secondly, is this the first indication of a premier club taking a German style approach of flogging tickets cheap as chips? The pile them high, flog them cheap approach, if you like?

Thirdly, given that those seats are so fucking uncomfortable, and that pretty much the only way to put up with being there is to stand (as done by almost every set of away fans there last year), and given that the stewards take a pretty lax approach to standing in any case, is this effectively a tacit approval by the club of standing from home fans in an area where they specifically expect it (although the upper Holte mostly stands anyway), with prices pitched appropriately?

Apols for the non Toon content, but I thought it was interesting. Oh, and don't bother with the "maybe you'll fill the ground every game then" comments, either, just in case you were thinking along such lines.

I think it is fair, they certainly are shite seats. For a few games last year against clubs who bring a taxi load (Blackburn, Bolton, Boro, Fulham etc), those seats were punted to our fans at 15 quid, and we just gave the away fans the overflow part in the lower Witton, and they were very popular tickets.

200 quid a season means a touch more than 10 pounds a match, which is awesome value. 50 quid for kids is a near negligible amount per match, which says something about trying to get future generations hooked (something which is difficult these days given prices)

That stand only has a few years left before it's demolished and rebuilt though, so I wouldn't expect it to last long. It will only be repeated at grounds which rarely sell out.

What is interesting though, is that the club are announcing on Monday that they are punting season tickets in that section at 200 quid for adults, and *50* quid for kids. Apart from the fact that these will be easily the cheapest STs in the PL, this raises an interesting thought - firstly, the availability of exceptionally cheap season tickets concentrated in one part of the ground might lead to that part of the ground becoming more edgy / atmospheric.

Interesting thought regarding the atmosphere, nice to see tickets being made more affordable in any case.

Demolished within 2 years, apparently, but even so, it is an interesting move.  I think we sold out 7 games last year, and although season ticket sales are apparently up 350 percent, which will help, it is still interesting to see the board do something which is almost visionary in approach. Even if it is a short term gesture, I wonder what impact it will have.

I'm almost certain it will practically be a sanctioned standing area.

I don't want the pikeys to get in. Especially within invading distance of the pitch.

I sit in the expensive seats in the Trinity Road. I want them all segregated and a long way from me

:)

Secondly, is this the first indication of a premier club taking a German style approach of flogging tickets cheap as chips? The pile them high, flog them cheap approach, if you like?

Nope. Heard that there is another team that are doing this - Wigan selling STs at £13 a game was it? Thats for all the shite seats too - The ones in Wigan.

:boomboom:

Nope. Heard that there is another team that are doing this - Wigan selling STs at £13 a game was it? Thats for all the shite seats too - The ones in Wigan.

:boomboom:

*slaps thigh*

theirs are 250 quid a season, and that's to watch a team which has both Emile Heskey and Titus Bramble in it.

Actually, that sounds highly entertaining.

is this the first indication of a premier club taking a German style approach of flogging tickets cheap as chips? The pile them high, flog them cheap approach, if you like?

I doubt it. You can only pile them as high as the number of seats you have. German stadia still have terraces so they can pile them higher. They're also very poor compared to English clubs (barring Bayern).

Like Sparks said, it'll only happen at stadia that don't sell out.

It's nice to see an English club employing a sensible pricing policy. Aye, we sell out league matches no bother, but League cup, early FA Cup rounds, and UEFA Cup attendances have been shite. Let's get some cheaper kids tickets for those and try to fill the ground.

Guest Micktoon

is this the first indication of a premier club taking a German style approach of flogging tickets cheap as chips? The pile them high, flog them cheap approach, if you like?

I doubt it. You can only pile them as high as the number of seats you have. German stadia still have terraces so they can pile them higher. They're also very poor compared to English clubs (barring Bayern).

If you think that the only modern stadium in jormany is Bayern you are seriously mis-informed

I think the most interesting thing about this is the kids season tickets at 50 quid.

City are doing that too. £95 for a kids ST, anywhere in the ground. Think its a good move myself, get as many kids in as possible so we can get the poor little buggers hooked before they know what they're letting themselves in for. :laugh:

If you think that the only modern stadium in jormany is Bayern you are seriously mis-informed

Sorry, that was extremely badly written. They have some excellent stadia. What I meant to say was that German clubs are financially poor compared to English ones. Except Bayern.

I wish we had some sort of student price. I only just turned 16 last month, and I'm having to fork out £429 for me season ticket next season. And thats in one of the cheapest areas in the stadium - Level 7.

I wish we had some sort of student price. I only just turned 16 last month, and I'm having to fork out £429 for me season ticket next season. And thats in one of the cheapest areas in the stadium - Level 7.

im from the south of england and go to all the newcastle away matches in london. im also 16, do they actually care whether you get in on a child ticket becasue so far ive noticed they have so many people to let in, they cant be bothered to check ID or anything!! saves me about £20 a game anyway, because im poor and as such i refuse to pay £40 plus £15 rail fare to see some of the shite served up last season by roeder!!

Charlton are one of the best teams for cheap prices, even if you discard their free season ticket offer for next season if they come back up. Pretty sure they had £99 kids season tickets last year as well. Still, I guess it's easy to offer up cheap tickets if you're not selling out......... (not a dig at anyone..)