Roman: I Want top kids ( a very, very good read, shows what top scouts think)

Guest nufc 4 life

Guest nufc 4 life

ROMAN: I WANT TOP KIDS

EURO UNDER-21 CHAMPIONSHIPS: PEARCE'S KIDS ARE READY FOR GLORY BID HE ORDERS CHELSEA'S SUPER SCOUT TO LAND BEST THREE YOUNG STARS

By Simon Mullock 10/06/2007

More Football

Have your say: Football forum

ROMAN ABRAMOVICH will send his personal super scout to the European Under-21 Championships with a simple message: "Get me the three most talented players in Europe."

Piet de Visser, who travels the globe for the Chelsea owner, will join almost 200 scouts and managers from European clubs during the next fortnight.

The scouts are determined to buy the best talent for their clubs. In fact, such is the demand by clubs for tickets that the tournament organisers have decreed there are no more complimentaries available. The clubs must buy tickets for their scouts.

De Visser, 71, says he has already done his homework on every team in the tournament. "There are four players with their names written in capital letters on my notepad. Players who are not under contract with a big club yet."

De Visser won't reveal the men he's recommending to Chelsea but he has delivered his verdict on four players who he thinks will have huge impacts on the tournament.

FOUR TO FOLLOW

NANI Portugal and Man United

DE VISSER'S VERDICT: "This boy is, as far as his skills are concerned, a super talent. He had his training with Sporting Lisbon. Technically he is so good, he is almost perfect.

"I am convinced he will be one of the big entertainers in this European Championship.

"But I also stress that despite all his talent he may not be right for the Premier League. His crosses are sometimes OK, sometimes bad. And he dribbles too much with the ball.

"He dribbles because he wants to entertain, not because he wants to be effective. Cristiano Ronaldo had the same problem when he first played for Man United, so there is still hope for the boy under United's training regime."

MONTOLIVO Italy and Fiorentina

DE VISSER'S VERDICT: "Ricardo Montolivo is the superstar of all young midfielders in Europe. You can compare him with Pavel Nedved. Ricardo played 36 league matches this season, which underlines his value to the team.

"He has very good skills, but the best thing about him is that he combines his skills with fantastic running power. Ricardo can run all day in midfield. Because of his pace and endurance he switches from attack to defence within a second.

"He also knows how to distribute the ball. In all the times I watched him, I could not spot a weakness in his game. He has a fabulous future in football."

AISSATI Holland and PSV

DE VISSER'S VERDICT: "Despite his lack of height, Ismail Aissati is head and shoulders above all his team-mates.

"He is a typical talent from the Dutch school, although he has Morrocan parents.

"Ismail has fabulous skills. He can set himself free with the ball in the smallest of spaces and create quick openings in the opposition's defence.

"He can also pass the ball so accurately. His biggest asset is what I call the cutting pass.

"He cuts open the defence with one straight pass into space.

"Only the most gifted and best players in the world have those superb abilities."

PAZZINI Italy and Fiorentina

GIANPAOLO Pazzini made a huge impression at the opening of the new Wembley stadium when he scored a hattrick in Italy's 3-3 Under-21 draw with England.

"Although he is only 22 years of age, he did play 23 times for the first team of Fiorentina last season and has already made 116 appearances for his club in total.

"He scored seven goals last season and plays alongside former Chelsea star Adrian Mutu. Pazzini is involved in all the play while Mutu looks for the knockdowns.

"He is actually a striker with a non-Italian style. Normally their strikers are quiet assassins. This boy is a complete footballer, who wants to be involved.

"He could play at any level at any club."

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/06/10/roman--i-want-top-kids---98487-19274096/

Isn't the scout supposed to report back to the manager, rather than the owner?

If this indicates a further bout of Shepherditis - the irresistable desire to meddle in football matters - then this is good news for the rest of the league.

"There are four players with their names written in capital letters on my notepad. Players who are not under contract with a big club yet."

Wonder who they are?

And who is your tip to make an impression on the tournament?

Mine:Jan Kysela - Czech Republic

Guest Knightrider

I'd be wary of signing players based on their international pedigree whether at senior level or youth level, especially within a cup/knockout enviornment.

I'd be wary of signing players based on their international pedigree whether at senior level or youth level, especially within a cup/knockout enviornment.

I'd agree with that view.  There is an argument for signing a youngster after having seen him at the World u17 Championships, there may be a kid there who has slipped through the radar, but at the Euro u21's??  Any scout worth his salt would know all the players in all the squads.

Guest Knightrider

Only way to guarantee success with a player is by studying that player week in week out over the course of a league and cup season and even then, other variables can still play havoc with the "dead cert to succeed" thing.

I'd agree with that view.  There is an argument for signing a youngster after having seen him at the World u17 Championships, there may be a kid there who has slipped through the radar, but at the Euro u21's??  Any scout worth his salt would know all the players in all the squads.

But you need to see if a player has got the temperament to do well in big stage.

Aissati is going to be a fantastic player.

Definetly disagree with that. I've watched him several times in both the Eredivisie, CL and for Holland's youth teams and never has he been better than average.

He's only 18 so their is time for improvement but right now he is nowhere near the finished article.

While Chelsea's scouts are looking at the u21's, Wenger has been out to Norway to sign Haugesund's CB Håvard Nordtveit.

Only 16 but has a huge future in front of him.  Pissed off about that news tbh.

Haugesund said he's not for sale today