Greg Halford to Sunderland

Martin Lol

...... so the BBC are saying:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6740687.stm

Sunderland manager Roy Keane is close to making Reading utility player Greg Halford his first summer capture, BBC Sport understands.

Halford had a medical over the weekend and Sunderland are awaiting the results before pushing through the deal.

The move comes as a surprise as the 22-year-old only joined Reading from Colchester in January in a £2m deal.

The fee is thought to be about £3m for Halford, who played at right-back, midfield and striker for Colchester.

He was part of the Colchester side that got promotion to the Championship in 2005-06.

His form for the U's and the England Under-20 side saw him linked with a number of Premiership clubs, including Manchester United.

Colchester turned down a bid from Sheffield United for him and dismissed his transfer request during last summer.

With his deal set to come to an end this summer Colchester opted to sell him in January.

Halford, who scored 24 goals in 154 games for the U's, made just three appearances for the Royals after his arrival in January.

But he was thought to be part of Reading manager Steve Coppell's long-term plans.

However, providing there are no problems with his medical and the two parties can agree personal terms the club could make an announcement on Monday.

Keane is expected to be busy in the transfer market this summer, with the club vowing to back him with significant funds as they prepare for life in the Premiership.

Defenders are a priority with Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans - a key part of last season's Championship-winning side - both returning to Manchester United after their loans ended.

Apologies if it's been posted here before.

Guest Magpiecn

Sky have reported it as £3.5m, BBC reporting it as £3m. Jesus christ transfer deals these days are f****** complicating

But Reading can earn not less than 1m from it.

I'd have loved Halford here. He seems an average defender but he seems worth it just for his 50 yard long throw.

Stozo clearly oblivious to the superb signing that was Oguchi Onyewu.

Guest Magpiecn

I'd have loved Halford here. He seems an average defender but he seems worth it just for his 50 yard long throw.

;D

To be honest I could never understand why we didn't utilize his long throw.

Onyewu isn't in the same league as Halfiord though. I've seen halford throw the ball from inside his own half into the penalty area.

To be honest I could never understand why we didn't utilize his long throw.

Onyewu isn't in the same league as Halfiord though. I've seen halford throw the ball from inside his own half into the penalty area.

Probably because it would only have been worth it around 90 yards away from his normal position.

A centre-back who's got a long throw. Ace. That'll come in handy. :)

Good signing for Sunderland. The fee is a bit high for Sunderland and it is a tidy profit for Reading but Halford is a good young proffessional with great physical conditions still with plenty of playing potential.