Post takeover expectations

madras

Next season, with or without a takeover, with Big Sam I would have at least been wanting us to be much much closer to Spurs & Everton. Challenging (not necessarily finishing higher) with them has to be the bare minimum for me. Depending on funds and players he brings in will depend on whether we should be looking even higher.

One point unresolved that means I can't really answer this. We don't know any of Ashleys plans, did he really say Allardyce has got one season to show results?

How can he build a team in one season? If everything goes his way position six is within his reach, will that be good enough?

Ashley hasn't said anything about only giving Allardyce one season. This is newspaper invention which has been hardened into fact through repetition. Bit like Gullitt supposedly promising 'sexy football', when he actually said no such thing.

Tbh i think we will just spend as normally until MA gets to know the club and once we are establishing ourselves back in the top half i think then is when he will decide to put some money into the club.

I think we will do well next season and either get 5th, 6th or 7th spot.  Hoping for 5th or 6th though.

A fully fit Newcastle squad has very good players, but a shite defence.  Allerdyce has said he will sort the defence and I believe he will.  Viduka, Owen and Martin's goals will fire us in to the top 6 spot finish.

Big Four becomes the Big Five.

Not this season, but soon. Our ascend into CL football  will roughly mirror our fall. A couple of seasons of UEFA cup runs, and then some top four finishes.

In place of ?

Not this season, but soon. Our ascend into CL football  will roughly mirror our fall. A couple of seasons of UEFA cup runs, and then some top four finishes.

In place of ?

I really fear for arsenal no take over as yet and wenger not seeming interested in signing a contract extension I can see them dropping back.

Guest toon tone rudeboy

As I said in another thread... Intertoto (at least) next year.  That will lead into a strong UEFA run.  Following year will be UEFA outright (no more intertoto nonsense).

I just hope that the change in power at the top will allow a manager to be given a chance of more than one year.

In place of ?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, or Manchester United.

One point unresolved that means I can't really answer this. We don't know any of Ashleys plans, did he really say Allardyce has got one season to show results?

How can he build a team in one season? If everything goes his way position six is within his reach, will that be good enough?

I would find it amazing if Ashley was to axe Allerdyce after 1 season, unless he did terrible in charge.  Can't see him being terrible, so confident Allerdyce will be the man for Ashley to take the club forward.

In place of ?

Which one of them though clever shite.

January buys never work bud, only in very rare situations

You have been sucked in by bullshit by managers who signed a player in Jan & it just didnt work out. I reckon the same players were still shit after a pre-season with the same club.

In place of ?

Which one of them though clever s****.

arsenal have looked iffy the last couple of seasons,battling till late with bolton and spuds for 4th place and possibly without henry ????,liverpool,benitez sounds unhappy and the possibility of no fresh funds.

quite a possibility that the big 4 could become the big 2 with a group of 4 or 5 behind them

January buys never work bud, only in very rare situations

You have been sucked in by bullshit by managers who signed a player in Jan & it just didnt work out. I reckon the same players were still shit after a pre-season with the same club.

its more of the fact we still aint used to a split set transfer period, I guess alot of people think that a window such as january is too short alot of buys are "panic ones" and you never get the best players then as its a short ammount of time to get a new player in. I also think its harder for a new player to gell when they come in jan due to the team playing together for so long and having some of the summer together also. Always expections to this but I wish they brought back the old buy them all season approach.

In place of ?

Premier League Table - 2011/12

-------

1. Manchester United

2. Liverpool

3. Newcastle United

4. Chelsea

5. Arsenal

6. Stoke City

7. Tottenham

24. Sunderland

In place of ?

Premier League Table - 2011/12

-------

1. Manchester United

2. Liverpool

3. Newcastle United

4. Chelsea

5. Arsenal

6. Stoke City

7. Tottenham

24. Sunderland

Stoke? Do you know something we don't?

I'm very confident that the momentum will now be upwards, whereas before it was downwards and we were more likely to be relegated than get back in the top four. I'm not too worried about how quick the upward momentum is, because I'd rather build on good foundations than splash out on a few big money signings. The reality is, that unless you're prepared to spend Chelsea-type money, you really have to take things one step at a time now.

But so much has changed. We had a puppet manager dominated by an incompetent, interfering Chairman and limited funds for investment. We now have a strong, confident manager, a Chairman whose power has surely been severely curtailed (if he carries on at all), and a secure financial position.

This is probably the best summing-up of the situation - can't see us being title challengers, and a UEFA Cup spot would be a real achievement this season.

Would prefer to see Shepherd gone altogether ; we don't know how much power he has retained, OR how many of his retinue/hangers-on are still at the club or associated with it.

My concern is that Ashley, being a low-profile operator, may allow him too much leeway in the early days, and that will impede the club's recovery..he may also have had to guarantee Shepherd's position for at least a season in order to persuade him to sell without any hassle....

Also, in playing matters, Sam WILL take time to get the team as he wants it - as we have seen with Ben Haim, it is not easy to secure good players if we are competing with Top 4 clubs ; they want success as well as dosh, and they want it NOW, not in 3 years' time...

Once again I say - its a BIG job, and will take time to put right , as well as BIG money..

Guest teepee

i reckon sam will get a few cheap signings in (in terms of transfers, viduka, ben haim og rozehnal). and then after feeling he has his basic squad in place, he'll make a move for one or two big players.

this way no one will mess up our transfer plans by demanding silly money for their players like chelsea are experiencing at times.....

5 new players before the end of this transfer window!

I'm very confident that the momentum will now be upwards, whereas before it was downwards and we were more likely to be relegated than get back in the top four. I'm not too worried about how quick the upward momentum is, because I'd rather build on good foundations than splash out on a few big money signings. The reality is, that unless you're prepared to spend Chelsea-type money, you really have to take things one step at a time now.

But so much has changed. We had a puppet manager dominated by an incompetent, interfering Chairman and limited funds for investment. We now have a strong, confident manager, a Chairman whose power has surely been severely curtailed (if he carries on at all), and a secure financial position.

This is probably the best summing-up of the situation - can't see us being title challengers, and a UEFA Cup spot would be a real achievement this season.

Would prefer to see Shepherd gone altogether ; we don't know how much power he has retained, OR how many of his retinue/hangers-on are still at the club or associated with it.

My concern is that Ashley, being a low-profile operator, may allow him too much leeway in the early days, and that will impede the club's recovery..he may also have had to guarantee Shepherd's position for at least a season in order to persuade him to sell without any hassle....

Also, in playing matters, Sam WILL take time to get the team as he wants it - as we have seen with Ben Haim, it is not easy to secure good players if we are competing with Top 4 clubs ; they want success as well as dosh, and they want it NOW, not in 3 years' time...

Once again I say - its a BIG job, and will take time to put right , as well as BIG money..

It is difficult this, isn't it!!?  It is very difficult to 'forecast' what will happen in this new world we are in.

The future is likely to be so very different from the (very) recent past  -  more akin to what was happening during the 1992 to 1997 period (with all the progress and attendant excitement) only I suspect it will be much better and more permanent.

Also, I think it will see the 'progress' being anchored by winning things.  If that is the case, and 'winning cups' is not that great (in the grand scale of things) then we have to be talking about the League. 

When?

I don't know, but being realistic - we have to be challenging in the not too distant future, three seasons tops.

I stick by my "new realism" timetable, posted earlier in this thread . . .  exciting times ahead for us!

Guest philinho

manorpark, i like your talk of new realism - it's something i definitely agree with.

I think, next season good cup run in both cups (possibly winning the league cup & fa cup runner up?).

A finish in the top 7-8 and we can build on that from the next season.

I mean we still don't know what money is going to be spent, this time in 2 months time we could have spent £50m on an amazing squad and be seriously looking at title contenders - but again, the new realism way of thinking is the way to look at it.

Let's just get a good solid spine to the team to begin with (which is already shaping up well with the signings of Barton/Viduka).

manorpark, i like your talk of new realism - it's something i definitely agree with.

I think, next season good cup run in both cups (possibly winning the league cup & fa cup runner up?).

A finish in the top 7-8 and we can build on that from the next season.

I mean we still don't know what money is going to be spent, this time in 2 months time we could have spent £50m on an amazing squad and be seriously looking at title contenders - but again, the new realism way of thinking is the way to look at it.

Let's just get a good solid spine to the team to begin with (which is already shaping up well with the signings of Barton/Viduka).

To be honest, I am having a lot of trouble getting my head around (as I have just said on another hread) the 'enormity' of it all.

The enormity-factor is caused by our new billionaire owner, but I so totally agree with you about building the 'spine' of the team.  That is what Allerdyce brings to the table, that he is what he is good at.  The "Allerdyce Factor".

It will prove hard to "build" the team next year if we don't make it to the UEFA cup at least. The best players want to be playing in Europe - Fact. If they see us make a couple of places up to 8th or something like that it's not exactly too inviting is it...

Also to hold on to our "star" players (if they're still here) i.e. owen, martins, zoggy ...etc we will have to be in europe or expect transfer reqwuests / get out clauses being seen.

We should realistically be looking at 5-6 th place as I can't see anyone apart from Villa, if they have an injection of cash, doing as well as us because their managers are inferior (my opinion) and they don't have a home support that can make your stadium an inhospitable place for opposing teams.