Chelsea have increased their bid for Chimbonda

Martin Lol

The Sun have got it right again, another increased bid.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007300911,00.html

Jose's £12m bid for Chimbonda

By DAVE KIDD

July 05, 2007

CHELSEA have upped their bid for Spurs defender Pascal Chimbonda to £12million after being priced out of a move for Daniel Alves.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho was snubbed in a £10m offer for the French right-back last month but has tested the resolve of Tottenham chief Martin Jol with an increased bid.

Mourinho was trying to hijack Liverpool’s bid for Brazilian full-back Alves but has been put off by Seville’s £20m asking price.

Chelsea were only prepared to stretch to £13m for Alves, who is likely to move to Anfield.

Chimbonda was a £4.5m signing from Wigan last summer and Jol wants to hang on to the player, despite a large potential profit.

Mourinho is desperate for a right-back even though Glen Johnson will return to Stamford Bridge after a season-long loan at Portsmouth.

The Blues boss has lost faith in his fellow Portuguese Paulo Ferreira as a first-choice right-back.

France midfielder Florent Malouda fuelled reports he could be joining Chelsea in a £12.5m deal after he left Lyon’s training camp yesterday.

I think it will happen this time when a replacement has been brought in.  Corluka, Boswinga and Sagna are all options to replace him, Lassana Diarra and/or SWP are distinct possibilities to move to WHL.

Kaboul has joined for £8m.

Let's hope he's the next Boumsong.

Christ, i hope not!!  :lol: :lol:.  Hope he's worth it, it's a lot of money.

I'd  almost given up on him ever being announced, signed last month but been waiting for Auxerre to get a replacement in. 

Chimbonda is massively overrated, and if I ran Spurs i'd snap Mourinho's hand off and make a bloody killing on a player albeit a solid recruit, is overrated and nowt special all the same. Sorry, but the fee being bandied about is ridiculous, and the club's valuation of him is just delusional.

Nah, I like Chimbonda a lot. £12m is a huge fee mind, but who would Spurs get who's better for much less?

Dont really give a dog's bollock who they get who's better and for much less. It's their problem. Just think they could take advantage of the profit they can make on a player who's just overhyped. Not saying Chimbonda's shite mind....but I'd sell at 7M nevermind 12!!!

Big gamble. I think Spurs are at the stage where they need players for here and now, not 3-4 years down the line. Over £30m on Bale, Bent & Kaboul? Huge huge risk.

Big risk agreed, I can't remember ever seeing him play so I can't say how good he is.  Comolli thinks Kaboul is good enough to take Dawson's position now (better than Desailly at the same age he reckons) but King won't be fit for the start of the season in any case so probably Kaboul and Dawson to start off with Rocha and Gardner (if he hasn't left) the backups.  Bent has already proved himself able (if not brilliant) in the premiership but a definite upgrade on Mido, Bale I don't see starting too often to start with tbh.  LW and a strong central MF still being sorted, another RB assuming Chimbonda does go, it wouldn't surprise me to see 4 more still coming in.  The one who will get plenty of playing time I think will be Taarabt, all the coaching staff are raving about his ability.

Big gamble. I think Spurs are at the stage where they need players for here and now, not 3-4 years down the line. Over £30m on Bale, Bent & Kaboul? Huge huge risk.

Big risk agreed, I can't remember ever seeing him play so I can't say how good he is.  Comolli thinks Kaboul is good enough to take Dawson's position now (better than Desailly at the same age he reckons) but King won't be fit for the start of the season in any case so probably Kaboul and Dawson to start off with Rocha and Gardner (if he hasn't left) the backups.  Bent has already proved himself able (if not brilliant) in the premiership but a definite upgrade on Mido, Bale I don't see starting too often to start with tbh.  LW and a strong central MF still being sorted, another RB assuming Chimbonda does go, it wouldn't surprise me to see 4 more still coming in.  The one who will get plenty of playing time I think will be Taarabt, all the coaching staff are raving about his ability.

Better than Desailly at his age? Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.

I'll believe this when I see it.

I'm not convinced Mourinho would go for him and I'm not convinced Spurs would turn down that much money.

He doesn't strike me as Mourinho's type of full back. Small and not great defensively. I know Mourinho signed A.Cole, but that was because of his sheer quality at the time (considered one of the best in the world) and the fact he's English. Mourinho's generally regarded to like more defensively capable full backs, preferably with a bit of height. I don't think Chimbonda would suit such a disciplined defensive unit such as Chelsea's for much the same reasons that A.Cole hasn't - he's an attacking full back.

Chimbonda is massively overrated, and if I ran Spurs i'd snap Mourinho's hand off and make a bloody killing on a player albeit a solid recruit, is overrated and nowt special all the same. Sorry, but the fee being bandied about is ridiculous, and the club's valuation of him is just delusional.

Seems like when we have signed a replacement, Chelski will have themselves a new RB.  Levy was intending to say no, Chimbonda wants to go to the bluescum (no surprise there) so it'll be another Carrick deal, take them for as much as we can.  Levy wants SWP and Diarra thrown into the mix.  I wouldn't be surprised if this goes all the way to the end of the window.  The saving grace for Spurs is that Chimbonda has 3 years left so if we can't get the right replacement, there isn't any desperation for the sale to go through.

Guest Guinness

Chimbonda to Spurs has been denied by Kenyon on SSN. Apparently Malouda and Alex will be their last signings.

Chimbonda to Spurs has been denied by Kenyon on SSN. Apparently Malouda and Alex will be their last signings.

Kenyon is talking out of his arse then.

Chimbonda is already at Spurs ;)

Guest kingdawson

SWP would be a strange one considering you have Lennon.

Who can't cross.

7 premiership assists say otherwise.

Guest kingdawson

/ Mark Viduka, Joey Barton, David Rozehnal, Geremi.

= £8.7m

/ Gareth Bale, Darren Bent, Younes Kaboul

= £34.5m

:lol: :lol:

Darren Bent = £16.5 million

Gareth Bale = £5 million which COULD rise to £10 million depending on success, appearances ect....

Younes Kaboul = £ 6 million

Total = £27.5 million which could rise to £32.5 million

Who can't cross.

7 premiership assists in the premiership say otherwise.

Did he have any premiership assists in cup competitions?

Alves would be far better value for money at 20m than Chimbonda would be at 12m.

Guest kingdawson

Who can't cross.

7 premiership assists in the premiership say otherwise.

Did he have any premiership assists in cup competitions?

Alves would be far better value for money at 20m than Chimbonda would be at 12m.

;D Sorry about that.