On Yer Bike, Mike

Shak

Bit long so the likes of Jon may struggle with it, but a few of my thoughts on the Michael Owen situation at the club.

Any comments appreciated.  :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The last month at Newcastle United has seen the landscape of the club change almost inconceivably. While a month ago our fans were united in frustration at our clueless manager and much maligned chairman, we are now united in a sense of optimism not seen since the peak of Bobby Robson’s tenure.

A new manager, Sam Allardyce, renowned for improving his clubs not only on the pitch but off of it as well. A new owner in Mike Ashley who seems intent on turning us into a major force, and is apparently willing to spend significant portions of his vast fortune to do so. Fans of The Toon could be forgiven for pinching themselves to make sure this last month hasn’t all been one cruel dream.

Yet, despite all the positives that have come from the last month or so, there is still one major issue that hangs over us.

Is Michael Owen happy to stay and be part of the revolution at Newcastle?

Well, no, he’s not. Anyone who thinks that he is is kidding themselves quite frankly.

The silence from Owen regarding the issue of whether he wants to stay says it all quite frankly. Especially given he’s been publicly challenged by our chairman, Freddy Shepherd, to commit to staying at the club and still hasn’t said anything on the matter, preferring to focus on his England future. Nothing new there of course, but would a few words be too much to ask for? Sam Allardyce publicly announcing that Owen’s rumoured release clause (believed to be £9m) means he’s powerless to stop him leaving is a pretty good indication that Sam has gotten his answer from Owen, and is now keen to peddle him as soon as possible.

On the face of it, losing Owen would seem like a massive blow to the club, given that he’s unarguably our most proven player on a world stage. He’s scored goals in The Champions League, World Cup, European Championship, every big competition you can think of that he can feasibly appear in. One would think, based on that, we should be desperate to hold onto him.

Personally, though, I’ll be glad to see the back of him.

First of all, he doesn’t fit into any position in Allardyce’s preferred formation, namely the 4-3-3/4-5-1 system that he predominantly played in his time at Bolton. Much like Chelsea’s system, this requires a powerful center forward ala Drogba or Kevin Davies to be the focal point of the attack. You then have two pacey, skillful players either side of him that can both score goals and create them, players like Robben and Joe Cole at Chelsea or Diouf and Anelka at Bolton. Owen isn’t physically imposing enough to be our target man, while he’s not got the skill to really worry defenders in wide positions as a wide man.

Trying to fit him into either of these positions would be just a waste of time really, and a waste of his talents i.e playing alongside a player who really gets involved in the game a lot, allowing Owen to pop up now and again to convert chances while generally contributing sparsely in the build up play.

If he does stay, however, he will have to play. You can’t leave him on the bench, especially if the team is struggling. So Allardyce would have to find a way to accommodate him, almost certainly through finding a new system to the one he knows best. While this may help somewhat in the short-term, it would hinder the long-term development of the team. Especially when Owen leaves, which he doubtless ultimately will. While Shearer was one of the greatest servants our club has ever seen, there were times in his last season or two where the team would probably have benefited from him being excluded now and again, but due to his sheer stature no manager had the guts to do so. Same with Parker last year. His form was woeful at times, most of the time in fact, but as Roeder had made him club captain he couldn’t drop him.

I’m sick of us accommodating players based on something other than their present usefulness to the team, and while Owen would doubtless be a lot more use to us than Parker was last year, I still believe he’d be hindering our long-term progress.

Aside from any tactical mumbo-jumbo, however, he clearly doesn’t want to be here either. He’s not said a word in the public about wanting to stay here which, given the level interest in his situation, is all you need to know. Of course he won’t come out and say he wants to leave, just like he didn’t when he left Liverpool. That would go against his squeaky clean, model professional image that he’s built up for himself while really being little more than a snake in the grass who won’t look back as he leaves town, just like he didn’t after manipulating his way out of Liverpool to go to Madrid.

The only problem is that we may struggle to find someone willing to take him off our hands, which I’m sure will bruise his ego. Liverpool clearly don’t want him back, and he’d not fit into the Chelsea system. Arsenal and Man U are possibilities as both could do with an out and out goalscorer to take advantage of the fabulous football the other members of the team play. But even they could be put off by his massive wages and questionable fitness.

I’ll be very disappointed if he starts the season here at Newcastle, because all he’ll be doing is auditioning for the next transfer window, or the one after that or whenever he can get out of Toon. So get rid of him now, save ourselves shelling out massive wages to a guy who doesn’t want to be here just so he can put himself in the shop window.

No doubt if the summer goes on long enough and it becomes evident that nobody is interested then that’ll be the time for Owen to reveal his plans for the future, saying that he’s always been happy at Newcastle and really wants to stay and be part of something special here. Lies which will be forgotten as soon as he gets half a chance to leave us.

For me he represents everything that I hate about the outgoing regime at boardroom level at St. James’ Park. An expensive signing, one we payed spectacularly over the odds for, on massive wages with ridiculous clauses allowing him to leave for significantly less than what we paid for him. A signing we made while ignoring other pressing needs in our team in order to placate the fans, the ultimate trophy signing.

With our new owner and new manager, it’s time for a fresh start.

That means clearing out all the mistakes from our previous regimes, which Owen is the epitome of.

everyone has an opinion of lil owen but I dont remember it was that long ago he came out to say he wanted to play for the club and make up for the fact he has missed so much footie, followed by fresh speculation and he doesnt want to comment. While I admit the longer it goes on the more we all think "its so easy to say your loyal to the club/contract why doesnt he"

Now I want him to stay if he goes I have confidence that SA will find someone to fill the gap, though we wont be able to say we have one of the best forwards of this generation, which is really what he is minus the injuries he is pure world class.

wHAT peeves me the most about this signing is the 9 million get out clause,  for god's sake at least get the money you paid out back...

Good read and agree mostly but think Allardice will play "his" system only away from home and think we will see a much more attacking system at St James.

This clause is way overblown imo. Let's say there is no clause and Owen wants to go, how much do you think we'd get for him right now? I'd say £10m maximum anyway.

if bent went for 18 we should be wanting at least 12 he isnt that old and still more of a regular in england side than bent i.

He was worth £12m when we signed him. We only paid £16m to completely blow Liverpool out of the water. I'd also say if West Ham weren't about and willing to pay that much, Bent would end up at Spurs or Liverpool for closer to £10m.

its true RVN was a class act also and didnt leave for a bomb, but I really think he isnt that old the knocking factor on his value is the poor injury record he has had the last two seasons we have had him. I would hope we would get more than 9 for him if he is meant to go but as ive always said this summer seems filled with "buyable" strikers and with a bigger budget we could in theory go for another big money one. Really do feel disappointed if he went but no massive loss to the side due to the manager in place and the likelyhood of fresh money comming in

(1) Regarding Owens not fitting into the 4-5-1/4-3-3: I hope to God that we will not be playing 4-5-1/4-3-3 for the entirety of the Allardyce reign. He played 4-5-1/4-3-3 (let's be honest about it-- 4 5 1) at Bolton because he had to to be successful on a budget. He came to NUFC because the club has the finances to buy the talent to compete with the big four.

(2) Owen is a world-class striker: The idea of squeezing him into a 4-5-1 is silly... you are right about that. It isn't going to happen. Owen and Viduka. Up top. 4-4-2. End of.

(3) Owen not wanting to be NUFC: Complaining about Michael Owen's attitude or commitment in light of the signing of a headcase like Barton and the notoriously lazy Viduka is nonsensical. We've gone all in with Allardyce already. If he can turn around Bolton; he can get the best out of Barton, Viduka, and Owen. We're betting on it.

(4) Owen's injuries: Allardyce has had success in the past with players who are past it. He has had great success reducing injuries in his squad. TRUST SAM.

(5) Hating what he represents about the old club / Fresh Start: I see what you mean. I think the reason every one wants to see the backside of Dyer, Carr, Babayaro etc. is in part because they are reminders of that era. My memories of Owen in a NUFC shirt are a little different. Yes, he was injured most of the time. But I keep running the WBA game through my head. His absence thoughout the Roeder era is something of a saving grace.

(6) Fresh Start II: If anyone merits a fresh start it is Michael Owen. Not that he deserves it--- deserving has nothing to do with it. It's a gamble. If we sell him now we gain very little. If he comes back strongly and the club is successful, he might feel the desire to stay. If he is past it and the club falters, sure he'll want to go. Let him. If the release clause drops again next season, it won't matter much because none of the big four will want him then anymore than they do now.

Edit: I expect Duff will perform when he returns as well.  O0

(1) Regarding Owens not fitting into the 4-5-1/4-3-3: I hope to God that we will not be playing 4-5-1/4-3-3 for the entirety of the Allardyce reign. He played 4-5-1/4-3-3 (let's be honest about it-- 4 5 1) at Bolton because he had to to be successful on a budget. He came to NUFC because the club has the finances to buy the talent to compete with the big four.

(2) Owen is a world-class striker: The idea of squeezing him into a 4-5-1 is silly... you are right about that. It isn't going to happen. Owen and Viduka. Up top. 4-4-2. End of.

(3) Owen not wanting to be NUFC: Complaining about Michael Owen's attitude or commitment in light of the signing of a headcase like Barton and the notoriously lazy Viduka is nonsensical. We've gone all in with Allardyce already. If he can turn around Bolton; he can get the best out of Barton, Viduka, and Owen. We're betting on it.

(4) Owen's injuries: Allardyce has had success in the past with players who are past it. He has had great success reducing injuries in his squad. TRUST SAM.

(5) Hating what he represents about the old club / Fresh Start: I see what you mean. I think the reason every one wants to see the backside of Dyer, Carr, Babayaro etc. is in part because they are reminders of that era. My memories of Owen in a NUFC shirt are a little different. Yes, he was injured most of the time. But I keep running the WBA game through my head. His absence thoughout the Roeder era is something of a saving grace.

(6) Fresh Start II: If anyone merits a fresh start it is Michael Owen. Not that he deserves it--- deserving has nothing to do with it. It's a gamble. If we sell him now we gain very little. If he comes back strongly and the club is successful, he might feel the desire to stay. If he is past it and the club falters, sure he'll want to go. Let him. If the release clause drops again next season, it won't matter much because none of the big four will want him then anymore than they do now.

Good points.  :thup:

1 & 2) Personally I feel that the basic 4-4-2 system is on its way out and that 4-3-3/4-5-1 is the way forward at this point. Barcelona and Chelsea both utilise it. Man United more or less abandoned the 4-4-2 last year in favour of something that generally looked like a 4-3-3, allowing Ronaldo in particular to benefit from a more advanced role, and the results were plain to see.

4-3-3 is a lot more flexible which is why I'd like to see us utilise it. It also suits pretty much every player in our squad a lot better than a 4-4-2 does, particularly in midfield.

Think you're also being a shade unfair on Allardyce saying he played 4-5-1, as his "wingers" were generally Anelka and Diouf, who are both basically strikers to be fair.

3) This goes back to my point about Owen wanting to leave. I find it nearly impossible to envision him saying here beyond the next two seasons, though I may be wrong. Just believe we're better off getting rid now than keeping him around and then losing him for nowt.

6) If we sell him now we'll get £9m and save on roughly another 5m in wages in just the next year alone. The longer he stays the less we get back for him. I se your point about us potentially doing well and convincing him to stay, but I can't see us getting instant success. We're going to have to rebuild slowly, and Chapions League qualification in the next two years may be just out of reach. By then Owen's contract will be up, and as I'd imagine he'd leave for a CL club for nowt then.

EDIT: I really, really don't share your confidence regrading Duff, but to each his own.  :razz:

I see Shearer has also backed Owen to be here to start the new season... because other clubs won't want to pay good money until he's proved his fitness. Allardyce on the other hand, seems to be making plans around having committed players and according to the Guardian today is hoping to persuade Martins his future is here and also considering a move for Djiouf.

Guest steppa

I am past the point of caring about the MO situation. If he stays great, if not - see ya. Nothing will happen until August anyway, possibly after the season has started. All the speculation is a media fuelled frenzy preying on our insecurities. Phuck that man. Ho'way the lads!

Great stuff Shak! I agree with the original article completely.

I also agree about the 4-3-3 formation too, it definitely suits our squad better and I do think that this formation can produce very entertaining football depending on th e players who feature in it. I believe that with better players than he had at Bolton the system will produce better football.

You only have to look at pretty much all the top Spanish and Dutch teams and this is the system they use, and they play brilliant football. The players in the system clearly play a big part. Rather than Kevin Davies we will have someone like Viduka for instance and that is a huge upgrade.

It is Sams first season and he will have a big job in trying to re-establish a Newcastle side that is in pretty bad shape. I would be a lot happier if in his first season he goes with what he knows has worked very well for him in his time at Bolton. This was the 4-3-3 and I would much rather have him go with that, as I would be a lot more confident about our chances of making quick progress.

Shak it is also a good point you make about the wide forwards in Allardyces 4-3-3 at Bolton, as they were genuine forwards who had the ability to create opportunities from wide positions; rather than out and out wingers. It was definitely a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-5-1. I believe Martins has the ability to be utilised in the same way Anelka was at Bolton as a wide forward but Owen certainly does not fit into this system at all.

I would not be adverse to Owen leaving at all. A hypothetical front three of Martins, Viduka and Diouf would certainly create a lot of goals.

However sharp and quick he is around the penalty box, his touch on the ball is poor and that limits his contribution. The game has moved on in the last 10 years and the top teams don't want a player like that.

I basically agree with the article. If he's going to be here (and I think he will be), we may as well take advantage of the abilities that he's got, but his departure wouldn't be a tragedy.

Guest philinho

In regards to this £9m release clause, doesn't anyone realise this was the only way we were going to buy a player like Owen? By having various clauses in his contract to cover himself. We are currently a very mediocre club and at the time had a manager that was a knacker.

Shearer obviously helped us get him but everyone knew Shearer was retiring so Owen was only covering his back in case we say, got relegated. I don't blame the lad, although now we have a new manager and he is back fully fit he owes us all at least 1 season. If he has a crap season, then we know Owen is a wreck and we can sell him to a Tottenham or Villa. Alternatively if he has a good season and still wants to leave, we'll get most of the £17m back from a bigger/equal team.

Guest graemeh72

From what I've gathered that release clause was a non European qualification clause...

When it was included, I don't suspect that many people thought it would be kick in....

As things stand I'd rather he stays. If he goes it is likely to be fairly late on in the transfer window & we will struggle to replace him. We will not buy another big name striker whilst he is here & may not have the time (or available players) if he goes.

For the good of the club he really should be forced to say whether he wants to stay. If he declines to state his wishes I'd tout him to all the clubs going as soon as possible.

On second thoughts I'd rather he goes. If he does stay & does well he may well leave in January. We don't need this will he/ wont he. Get rid & replace him whilst we still have a couple of months before the season. Let's face it - he does want to go.

Or will he stay?

The problem with him staying is, it's only to prove his fitness to other clubs. He will effectively be playing on trial for whichever big club he hankers for. I think this is why Sam wants a commitment, because while he is trying to make a new start, he'll want everyone busting a gut for the club 100%. We don't want him busting a gut for someone else ideally.