Very interesting Souness article ......

Guest graemeh72

"Let me tell you, in my time at Newcastle one man and one man alone decided what player came to the club and what player left — and it wasn’t the manager. It was the chairman.

"He controlled how much Newcastle paid for a player, how much salary that individual received and how much the agent would be paid.

"I wasn’t involved in any discussions or meetings about those transactions. Not about the fee, the salary or the agents’ fees.

"The only exception was the Boumsong deal. I knew the details of that transfer fee because he was coming in from Rangers and I’m a close friend of their chairman David Murray. But the rest was the chairman’s business."

Well that can't be right...

Guest graemeh72

Thats what I'm not sure about......

Dunno whether I believe him.....

Love his comments about Kenny ...."As for Kenny Shepherd, why should I be held accountable for his testimony? I’m not even sure why he was there. He is basically a fan who just happens to be the chairman’s son. I don’t see why my evidence should be questioned against his."

Guest graemeh72

So if what Souness is true...then Emre wasn't a Souness purchase

yeah right ... FFS found Emre all by himself

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

"Let me tell you, in my time at Newcastle one man and one man alone decided what player came to the club and what player left — and it wasn’t the manager. It was the chairman. "

Not surprised at this in the slightest. He's not a proper chairman. I mean, you won't win anything with 11 Freddy Shepherds.

Guest graemeh72

"Let me tell you, in my time at Newcastle one man and one man alone decided what player came to the club and what player left — and it wasn’t the manager. It was the chairman. "

Not surprised at this in the slightest. He's not a proper chairman. I mean, you won't win anything with 11 Freddy Shepherds.

apart from a pie eating contest (sponsored by Greggs)

The Boumsong transfer is the one that needs explaining.  No wonder they couldn't sign off on it.  8m for a free transfer from Auxerre, who played 23 games for Rangers, and who turned out to be crap.  Souness and Murray are close friends.  Willie McKay is the agent.  Hmmmm.

Maybe Souness has something to hide, and has decided to get his damage in early. 

Fucking hell. Everyone knows Fat Fred interferes but i have never thought he would interfere that much. Souness could just be talking out of his arse now though. His reputation is already totally ruined so he won't do himself any harm passing some blame on to the man who sacked him and give him a £3m pay off. I hope this is Souness lying here because i already despise that fat one as it is.

Ashley wants troubleshooter to sort out Newcastle

Louise Taylor

Thursday June 21, 2007

The Guardian

A summer of revolutionary change at Newcastle United will not be restricted to Sam Allardyce's overhaul of his first-team squad and backroom staff. While the club's new manager pursues fresh signings, Mike Ashley, Newcastle's new owner, will shortly appoint a troubleshooter charged with scrutinising all areas of the business.

The resulting extensive review will encompass Allardyce's role and its findings are likely to define the scope of the former Bolton Wanderers manager's powers. The future of Freddy Shepherd, who still holds the role of chairman despite selling his shares in the club to Ashley, a sports retail billionaire, will also hinge on the troubleshooter's review. Shepherd, currently recovering from a serious bout of pneumonia, hopes to remain as a salaried chairman and effectively play a chief executive's role.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It will be the sort of thorough, objective, stragetic review that invariably happens when businesses are taken over," explained a source. "It will show how the club operates at every level including team manager and above."

Although sources close to Ashley are anxious to dismiss suggestions that the fact that Allardyce was named in the recent Stevens report on the probity of football transfers - Lord Stevens was unhappy about a potential conflict of interest at Bolton involving Allardyce and his son Craig, then an agent - might have placed the Newcastle manager's job security in doubt, it is understood that Quest's findings will also be considered by the troubleshooter.

Ashley is said to be "supportive" of Allardyce and enjoyed convivial and productive meetings with him at the training ground, but he did not appoint the manager, so Glenn Roeder's successor, hired by Shepherd literally days before Ashley's surprise takeover, inevitably has much to prove.

"There's no great change in mood because of Quest. Mike is supportive of the manager," said a source. "But there is about to be a long, hard look at the way Newcastle is run."

This will encompass the role of Kenneth Shepherd, Freddy Shepherd's influential son, who was mentioned by the Stevens report when it highlighted a potential conflict of interest in having relatives work so close together. Although there was no suggestion of wrongdoing by United officials, four of the 17 transfers that Quest refused to clear involved signings made by the club, namely Jean-Alain Boumsong, Albert Luque, Amady Faye and Emre Belozoglu.

In fact eight of those 17 deals involved either Newcastle or Allardyce, the latter in his former capacity as Bolton manager and featuring the incoming transfers of Ali Al-Habsi, Tal Ben Haim, Blessing Kaku and Julio Correia.

It has not been revealed whether the troubleshooter will be recruited from the ranks of Ashley's existing employees or be an external appointment but no one on Newcastle's payroll, from Allardyce and Shepherd to the tea ladies, can expect to be shielded from intense scrutiny.

Meanwhile, Obafemi Martins has said he is happy at Newcastle after his future had been put in doubt when he failed to turn up for the club's final game of the season at Watford claiming injury. "I signed a contract with Newcastle and I am happy at the club, and the way the fans supported me even when I wasn't scoring was great. If I am fully fit, there is no way I will back out from playing any game for Newcastle," he said.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Honestly, I don't buy a word of what Souness is saying, he's covering his arse. Everyone knows that ALLEGEDLY Bungsong was some dodgy shit and Souness' bumchums came off very well from it, the guy's a cunt. He's just trying to make himself not look as shit, I mean, the Luque deal, what waws that about? Souness' mate saw a video of him let's buy him yeah brilliant. Also he said Owen was his top target at the time, basically, SOUNESS TALKS SHIT.

Guest graemeh72

Ashley wants troubleshooter to sort out Newcastle

Does that explain what happened to Oba in Lagos?

They way I read it, Freddy decides who comes in because he negotiates the fee with the selling club & the wages of the player, not by selecting which players we go for. As he was Chief executive & Chairman that seems spot on to me. As for dumping players we have known about this since the sale of Les, one of Fred biggest crimes ever as far as this board member is concerned.

Guest nufc_geordie

Honestly, I don't buy a word of what Souness is saying, he's covering his arse. Everyone knows that ALLEGEDLY Bungsong was some dodgy s*** and Souness' bumchums came off very well from it, the guy's a c***. He's just trying to make himself not look as s***, I mean, the Luque deal, what waws that about? Souness' mate saw a video of him let's buy him yeah brilliant. Also he said Owen was his top target at the time, basically, SOUNESS TALKS s***.

I'm not going to get into another argument about the Luque deal but people on here really need to think before they write. I am not defending the guy because he has been a joke since he signed in my opinion, but when we did sifn him I was very pleased. Having watched Spanish football for many years now I thought Luque was an excellent, proven quality player, and a great signing at the time.  He was a Spanish international, and he got man of the match in the champions league semi? when Deportivo hammered Milan. OK things haven't worked out here for him but to blame Souness and imply a lack of scouting on the signing tells me you know bugger all about football mate!

Souness's account is very consistent with Sir Bob's, in terms of Shepherd's manner of conducting transfer business. He's not pulling any punches, and I see no reason to disbelieve him.

Guest lebowski

So that's now two previous manager's saying Shepherd has interfered in transfers...

Spot on. I think that it is very plausible especially when you consider the escape clauses in Owens and (apparantly) Martins contract. No manager would agree to such a ludicrous clause.

While I certainly don't count myself as a Souness fan I thought the article was a good one and if what he states is correct he has every reason to be very pissed off with the enquiry. Having said that you always had to think the Boumsong transfer had the potential to be dodgy.

They way I read it, Freddy decides who comes in because he negotiates the fee with the selling club & the wages of the player, not by selecting which players we go for. As he was Chief executive & Chairman that seems spot on to me. As for dumping players we have known about this since the sale of Les, one of Fred biggest crimes ever as far as this board member is concerned.

Another possibility is that the manager selects the player(s) to be bought, and the chairman negotiates the purchase, bungs and backhanders, salary and contract terms along with Cushing and his cronies.  That's also consistent with what Souness says. Tbh I doubt many managers negotiate the details of their players' contracts

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Hopefully all this extra stress will cause Souness' heart to pack up in the not too distant future, the horrible scotch lying cunt.

:D

I think it would have worked like this. The manager goes to the Chairman with a list of targets and if he make s a good enough case the chairman goes off to get them. So far so normal.

But in our case the chairman also has a list of targets and if he thinks the manager needs a new striker he buys him Patrick Kluivert. Then you get this alleged situation where Shepherd handles all the finances himself so the manager only finds out about buyout clauses or whatever later on.