Michael Owen to Man City?!

KaKa

Hills have opened a book on this.

Owen 7/1 to be a City player next season

1/14 he won't :hmm:

Hard to argue with that. While I'm pretty confident we want him - I'm sure Thaksin will want some big names to make a splash in Asia - still don't see it happening. There are few reasons he might come - I read he still lives in the north west and commutes to Newcastle, and we might(Doubt it, but maybe) be in a position to match his contract, plus the Sven factor - but I don't think any of the above are enough to turn his head. Still think the only way he'll go will be if Allardyce tells him he doesn't fit into his plans.

Hard to argue with that. While I'm pretty confident we want him - I'm sure Thaksin will want some big names to make a splash in Asia - still don't see it happening. There are few reasons he might come - I read he still lives in the north west and commutes to Newcastle, and we might(Doubt it, but maybe) be in a position to match his contract, plus the Sven factor - but I don't think any of the above are enough to turn his head. Still think the only way he'll go will be if Allardyce tells him he doesn't fit into his plans.

You need a goalscorer and to show your intentions, we just need not to be ripped off by a CL club taking him, so you'd have to pay proper money.

The deal works for everyone imo.

You need a goalscorer and to show your intentions, we just need not to be ripped off by a CL club taking him, so you'd have to pay proper money.

The deal works for everyone imo.

I don't think it works for Owen. He's got it made up there - earning a bajillion a week from a contract that would let him walk out at the drop of a hat should the opportunity arise. I don't think the prospect of moving closer to home is enough.

Only see him going there with Sven. And even then I highly doubt it. He didn't want to move here, why go through it all again without moving to a Champions League club?

That's not true is it, he's got a huge house in northumberland, i remember seeing it on sky sports when he got injured at the world cup.

Man City would have to pay 15m to get Owen where as Arsenal etc would have to pay 9/11m. As well as this there is every chance that Owen would not move anywhere unless it was a team in the champions league anyway.

The only arguement city have is that he's from the "north west", which is funny because i was sure he was from closer to liverpool than cumbria. He's also stated that his family are very happy in the north east (ponteland).

Add on to the fact that Newcastle like Man City have got a new manager and a new chairman, so there is no more attraction on the football side of things.

Basically i think Owen is staying put, however if he were to move i think it highly likely it will be to one of the champions league teams and not Man city.