Newcastle win race to sign Alan Smith - Mirror gossip

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sven-Goran Eriksson will take over as Man City boss next week - and will launch an audacious bid for Newcastle striker Michael Owen. (Various)

Newcastle have won the race to sign Man Utd misfit Alan Smith for £3.5m. (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool will increase their bid for West Ham's Yossi Benayoun to £4.5m. (Various)

Charlton are ready to accept Spurs' £16m bid for striker Darren Bent. (Guardian)

Real Madrid say they are winning the race to sign West Ham's Carlos Tevez - and will pay £30m. (Various)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill wants to buy England Under-21 keeper Scott Carson from Liverpool for £3.5m. (Daily Mirror)

O'Neill is also keen on luring Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips for £10m. (Daily Star)

Sunderland will clinch the £7m signing of Preston's David Nugent next week. (Various)

Reading's Seol Ki-Hyeon is on the verge of a £1m move to Fulham. (Various)

Hibs want Newcastle's highly-rated Republic of Ireland winger Alan O'Brien. (Daily Record)

Charlton's £3m defender Luke Young is wanted by Bolton, Newcastle and Aston Villa. (Daily Mirror)

Crystal Palace want to sign Chelsea's Scott Sinclair on a season-long loan. (Daily Express)

Middlesbrough are chasing Fulham defender Liam Rosenior and could consider a swap deal involving James Morrison. (Daily Star)

Juventus are set to launch a bid for Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins. (Daily Star)

Bolton are ready to step up their £6m battle with Marseille to sign Djibril Cisse. (The Sun)

Bordeaux's Laurent Blanc wants to hijack Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp's attempt to sign France midfielder Alou Diarra for £5.8m. (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool's hopes of landing Fernando Torres have hit a setback as Atletico Madrid are refusing to drop their £27m asking price. (The Sun)

SMITH IN SWITCH TO TOON

EXCLUSIVE

By David Mcdonnell 22/06/2007

NEWCASTLE have won the race to sign Manchester United outcast Alan Smith in a deal worth around £3.5million.

Toon boss Sam Allardyce made his move for Smith after the England striker made public his dismay at not being offered a new deal by United.

But Allardyce failed in his bid to make it a United trio at Newcastle after the Old Trafford hierarchy rebuffed his attempts to sign defensive duo Wes Brown and Mikael Silvestre.

AdvertisementSmith revealed his desire to stay at Old Trafford only last week but admitted he had received no assurances about his future from Sir Alex Ferguson, a revelation which sparked a scramble for his signature.

Despite his reluctance to leave United following a £7million move from Leeds in 2004, Smith has been assured of regular football at Newcastle under Allardyce, something Fergie could not give him at Old Trafford.

And Smith is said to be relishing the challenge to prove he can get back to the level he was at before breaking a leg at Liverpool in February 2006, which ruled him out for seven months.

A host of Premiership clubs including Tottenham and Aston Villa made clear their interest in signing Smith but Newcastle have won the race

If it's reliable (I don't think it is), then it probably means that one of Owen or Martins will leave.

More like the end of Shola tbh.

I sincerely hope so. But Viduka, Martins, Owen, and Smith seems a little too good.

Or maybe Allardyce wants to play him in midfield...I hope not.

If it's reliable (I don't think it is), then it probably means that one of Owen or Martins will leave.

Or Carroll will going on loan to a Championship side...

Martins - Viduka - Owen with Smith as a rotation player isn't anything impossible.

EDIT: Oh...there's one Shola as well :blush:

I think he's shite tbh, however he could do the job of holding the ball up better than Shola in a 4-5-1 formation.

I can only see him being back up to Viduka anyway, keep the F.A.B on his toes anyway.

Still no defender.

As long as they're all in before the season kicks off I couldn't give a shit what order they get here in.

True. Its looking good now. Smith and Barton are the type of player that like to break a sweat for their team. They are natural at wanting to win, it doesn`t have to be the team they support.

Guest eyeball_tickler

this is a terrible idea. god help us if we have to start ameobi and smith together upfront.

plus a brilliant quote from ferguson:

"Sir Alex Ferguson was quoted saying that he planned to replace the departing Ruud van Nistelrooy by returning Alan Smith to his natural position on centre-forward"

Guest Darth Toon

New central midfield?

Smith -- Barton

Well there certainly wouldn't be any backing out of challenges!!  :o

Reckon if he does come it increases the possibility of Sam using 4-3-3 with Smith as one of the wide players up front - certainly has the workrate:

Viduka

Martins              Smith

Smith is versatile midfield or forward. For 3.5 million he would be a bargain

That must put shola`s value at about 50 pence. I suppose its something I have never considered that Sam may only see Shola as a squad player which is a good sign.

Northern Gimp, were you in Shearers Bar dressed as a gimp before the Liverpool home game last season? because someone was standing beside me with his mates when i was there dressed as a gimp!