Newcastle win race to sign Alan Smith - Mirror gossip

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest LucasUnger

smith would be a perfect addition to our squad. wouldn't mind playing him on the left or right side of midfield if milner or someone is injured.

If we were to sign him (big if as far as im concerned) I can see the reasons for the move.

He can play in more than one position and possibly SA is resigned to the fact that he cannot get a pile of players in so getting versitile players in is the key. The why's and wherefores of why someone would choose us and as usual we never do get to know.

Guest Darth Toon

Don't worry guys, Oliver's on the case:

"The talk today in the North West was of Manchester United striker Alan Smith moving to United in a £3.5m move, which was a surprise to the St James' Park hierarchy"

Typical.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=sven-in%26method=full%26objectid=19340230%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

"The talk today in the North West was of Manchester United striker Alan Smith moving to United in a £3.5m move, which was a surprise to the St James' Park hierarchy"

Typical.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=sven-in%26method=full%26objectid=19340230%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Does he mean the wifey at reception he asked before being told to leave?

If Smith arrives, it means either Owen or Martins are on the way out, although Smith could also be played behind the front 2(or in a slightly withdrawn role behind Viduka in away games).

I feel he will be more competitive than either Ameobi or Martins(Owen too, come to that)and maybe Sam DOES have him in mind more for away games(more competitive bite etc).

However, he is NOT a true replacement for Owen(he's never going to get 15-20 goals a season), and I still remember how severe his leg-break was ; hopefully, this is now OK, but had it been his ankle, I would have had considerable reservations about his signing...

Not a bad price, though, and to date, the only disappointment has been losing Ben Haim..

It's looking good unless we have to start replacing Owen - where do you start ? Huntelaar would be my choice, but we would be way down the list of his preferred clubs.

Still feel Martins will end up at Juve...

Guest Triglett

Decent price in the current market for an English player with a good reputation and some caps to his name. He's still pretty useless though. Not a particularly good striker or a midfielder, and he wouldn't settle for a place on the bench.

Typical.

Does he mean the wifey at reception he asked before being told to leave?

"Indeed I understand that reports that Alan Smith is heading to St James's Park are wide of the mark.  A source close to the current heirarchy today told me........hey let go of my jacket you.......don't you know who I am.........you can't do this to me..........I'll have you for this I will.........argghhhh"

Decent price in the current market for an English player with a good reputation and some caps to his name. He's still pretty useless though. Not a particularly good striker or a midfielder, and he wouldn't settle for a place on the bench.

I agree. He's a bit of a Mr. Mediocre as far as I can tell, and can't really see where he'd fit into our team, given that he'll want to be first choice.

Has this been mentioned anywhere else yet, other than a simple rehash of The Mirror report?

I would have expected Sky Sports to pick up on this by now, if there was any truth in it.

Though, we await Mr Olivers analysis - no doubt Ray Ranson rang him this morning to say that these reports are wide of the mark or summit!

Sky sports mentioned it earlier but only in their rumour bit.

I for one believe it's true. Newspapers certainly aren't a reliable source and it's really out of the blue and I would have thought it would have leaked from the other clubs involved. However, it has been in a few newspapers, on SSN and now on Five Live... well that tells me that this is closer to the truth that most think.

My opinion of Smith has varied over the years, just like his form, but as of right now I would certainly welcome him into the Newcastle outfit. He is versatile and has determination to burn! He is a player that goes out for the win at all costs and that's what we have been lacking for quite a few years! You never know, it could rub off onto other players. Big Sam can keep players like Smith and Barton in place and tune them up to really show what they're worth.

He will be coming as a Midfield/Support Striker IMO and is exactly what we need if we are uncertain about the futures of certain players at our club. He was absolutely outstanding for Man Ure in the centre of midfield when Keane left, before Risse f***** up his leg. But a player that young and with his determination leaves no doubt in my mind that he could do the job for Newcastle Utd!

Let's hope it's true though... we will no doubt find out more tomorrow!

smith would be a perfect addition to our squad. wouldn't mind playing him on the left or right side of midfield if milner or someone is injured.

Wow, the creativity we would have then. Smith can't pass and has poor vision, so how in the name of hell would that work??? There's a reason SAF tried to turn him into a DM.

Here's their league game results. All in the Premier, Smith with Leeds and Man Utd, Ameobi with us

Shola 93 starts, 69 sub, 28 goals

Smith 191 starts, 42 sub, 45 goals

I think Ameobi is edging that one, although you have Smith spending some of his time in midfield at Man Utd, but then you also have Shola spending some of his time in bloody awful sides.

Didnt' Smith also play left wing for Leeds in their relegation season?

He played on the right wing against us the season before they got relegated when Venables was in charge. Then some mugs took Fowler and Kewell off them and it was him and Viduka leading them all the way to the chumpionship the season after.

Btw, Alan Smith is absolutely fucking abysmal. Wouldn't have him for nowt. Nothing to do with him being a rag either...he was absolutely shocking for Leeds too. Speaks volumes that so many different managers have tried to convert him....they like his huff and puff for some reason...but he has no real footballing ability whatsoever. I mean, watching him against Brazil the other week. I was genuinely embarrased that this muppet was representing my country. Absolutely fucking abysmal. :huff:

Here's their league game results. All in the Premier, Smith with Leeds and Man Utd, Ameobi with us

I think Ameobi is edging that one, although you have Smith spending some of his time in midfield at Man Utd, but then you also have Shola spending some of his time in bloody awful sides.

He played on the right wing against us the season before they got relegated when Venables was in charge. Then some mugs took Fowler and Kewell off them and it was him and Viduka leading them all the way to the chumpionship the season after.

Btw, Alan Smith is absolutely f****** abysmal. Wouldn't have him for nowt. Nothing to do with him being a rag either...he was absolutely shocking for Leeds too. Speaks volumes that so many different managers have tried to convert him....they like his huff and puff for some reason...but he has no real footballing ability whatsoever. I mean, watching him against Brazil the other week. I was genuinely embarrased that this muppet was representing my country. Absolutely f****** abysmal. :huff:

He's no Samaras like...

Btw, Alan Smith is absolutely f****** abysmal. Wouldn't have him for nowt. Nothing to do with him being a rag either...he was absolutely shocking for Leeds too. Speaks volumes that so many different managers have tried to convert him....they like his huff and puff for some reason...but he has no real footballing ability whatsoever. I mean, watching him against Brazil the other week. I was genuinely embarrased that this muppet was representing my country. Absolutely f****** abysmal. :huff:

He's no Samaras like...

No, he isn't, as Samaras does actually posses some level of abilty even if he's a complete sissy.

However, he is very Paul Dickov. Huff and puff all he wants, but he ain't gonna blow anyones house down. Cos he's absolutely fucking absymal.

IMO anything that was good enough for Man Ure will be good enough for us at the moment! We will have to see who was right if the deal gets sorted!

Agreed, although Smith wasn't good enough for Manure so i don't get your point.

Poor mans Gudjohnsen.

Would take him here, especially at that price.

But..

A) its bollocks

B) as mentioned why would he swap bench at the league champions to similar here, I cant see him fitting in much better than what we have in midfield.

C)Id start Shola ahead of him.