Newcastle win race to sign Alan Smith - Mirror gossip

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wish we would sign some defenders ffs.

You're forgetting how early on in the window it is.

True, true but i was saying the same thing this time last season. Fuking roeder!

Can't see why Smith would want to leave Man Utd as a squad player that doesn't play up front much, to come here to seemingly perform the same role.

I was thinking the same. Does make you wonder whether Sam expects Owen or Martins to be leaving.

Can't see why Smith would want to leave Man Utd as a squad player that doesn't play up front much, to come here to seemingly perform the same role.

How reliable is Viduka though and even Owen! as far as injuries and niggles go.

Smith could play with either as he has the ability to hold the ball so can partner Owen, but at the same time has good anough mobility and a bit of pace so would compliment Viudka too.

He will play quite a bit I would imagine. He will also start the season up front with Owen as Viduka will be recovering from his trip to Asia.

Barton and Smith will add more bite yes but how many games would we finish with 10 men, not to mention the evidence of the match 2 nights ago when plenty of the England U21's showed they have "bite" and a poor Dutch team knocked them out due to us lacking in technical ability and good positive tactics, regardless of the 'pride', 'fight', '110% effort' and 'determination' that most of the English players showed. Smith is the exact match of all those 'qualities' and evidence how the game in this country is so wrong where players are coached in this mentality of determination and effort over skill and creativity like the European way.

Games away from home last season we serioulsy lacked commitment from players on the pitch/leaders/winners.

Granted you wont win anything with whole team of players running around like headless chickens flying into tackles.  You need a blend of players of all aspects and skills. 

You do need players who are willing to put the foot in to allow the skillful players to do their job.  Especially away from home. 

I agree that the mirror sound awfully sure about this.

Still, I'd much rather see Shola stay in the side. Now he's finally fit he deserves a decent crack at things, and I reckon a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised. Smith's a decent player, but he's on his way back and has gone a long time without regular football.

I agree that the mirror sound awfully sure about this.

Still, I'd much rather see Shola stay in the side. Now he's finally fit he deserves a decent crack at things, and I reckon a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised. Smith's a decent player, but he's on his way back and has gone a long time without regular football.

Does Smith not sound like the type of player Sam would like to get back on track?

Oh I think he could do a good job, and Allardyce would certainly like him - it's a credible rumour I think.

I just think Shola deserves first crack at this. If we sell him I'm sure we'll end up regretting it. Should one of Owen or Martins go the Viduka, Smith, Ameobi, Owen/Martins remainder looks OK to me.

Would mean we'd only have one front player with real pace, but we would have a lot of  muscle.

Guest exilim

Considering that nugent is worthed 5-7m. Keane should also be interested in smith?

Everyone knows his relations with man utd and i believe that smith is x2 better than the players in Sunderland currently.

So does keane knows something we doesn't?

3.5m is a rip off, if Sam could get players back to their peak.  :coolsmiley:

Why would Man Utd want sell him though? Especially given that Saha is out for a while, Solksjaer isn't exactly reliable (or a spring chicken)?

Granted, they're bound to have a new Striker coming in but I still don't understand why they'd want rid of Smith?

Perhaps its a sweetener in preparation for a deal involving Owen?

Why would Man Utd want sell him though? Especially given that Saha is out for a while, Solksjaer isn't exactly reliable (or a spring chicken)?

Granted, they're bound to have a new Striker coming in but I still don't understand why they'd want rid of Smith?

last year of contract,next year he leaves for nowt....................................i think

last year of contract,next year he leaves for nowt....................................i think

Cheers, hadn't realised that.

I might have imagined this........but didn't he get quoted in the national press a few weeks ago saying he wanted to stay at Man Utd for the rest of his career, sign a new contract etc etc?

If he replaces Shola, then good. Anything else and it's a worry.

But again, if this is the intention, why would he do that when he could be a starter elsewhere?

Edit - same question to madras. He could play purely up top elsewhere.

Given that they need the cover (with the Saha injury and the ageing Solksjaer) I would have thought they would take the hit on the £3.5m and let him go on a free in a couple of years?

Especially after they've been blowing their dollars all over Portgual and Germany this summer.

Here's their league game results. All in the Premier, Smith with Leeds and Man Utd, Ameobi with us

Shola 93 starts, 69 sub, 28 goals

Smith 191 starts, 42 sub, 45 goals

I think Ameobi is edging that one, although you have Smith spending some of his time in midfield at Man Utd, but then you also have Shola spending some of his time in bloody awful sides.

Here's their league game results. All in the Premier, Smith with Leeds and Man Utd, Ameobi with us

Shola 93 starts, 69 sub, 28 goals

Smith 191 starts, 42 sub, 45 goals

I think Ameobi is edging that one, although you have Smith spending some of his time in midfield at Man Utd, but then you also have Shola spending some of his time in bloody awful sides.

Didnt' Smith also play left wing for Leeds in their relegation season?

Guest johnson293

Has this been mentioned anywhere else yet, other than a simple rehash of The Mirror report?

I would have expected Sky Sports to pick up on this by now, if there was any truth in it.

Though, we await Mr Olivers analysis - no doubt Ray Ranson rang him this morning to say that these reports are wide of the mark or summit!