Newcastle win race to sign Alan Smith - Mirror gossip

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest teepee

it's got to be bollocks - maybe if ameobi is leaving, but smith is no substitute for martins or owen!

Guest Darth Toon

But wait, this can't be true anyway - I'm sure I heard that Roy Keane's Man U connections mean the mackems are guaranteed first choice on any players leaving there  unless of course they're not interested and have generously stepped aside to allow us to move in....

Don't really want him here but I hope Big Sam knows what he's doing...

Two nights ago I actually dreamt that Smith signed and that he scored a header against Bolton, keepers bottom right corner... For what it's worth, I was the one with the cross but hey... Watch this space! :)

I thought Smith & Viduka hate each other?

:undecided:

So If all those reports are true, were losing Owen to Citeh & Martins to Juve, and bringing Smith in.

Wow, fills me full of beans this fine AM.  :rolleyes:

Guest goal!

Not good enough for us imo or even what we need. Would MUCH prefer to see Shola or even Luque playing for us over him!!!

That is exactly the kind of attitude that has stopped us buying players like Ashton & Andy Johnson in the past "not good enough for us, we need to buy Adriano, he is class on Pro Evo" blah blah.

When SA first arrived everybody was saying lets build a sensible squad etc etc, now Mr Ashley has taken over the freaks are saying we should buy only the best.  Which is exactly the road we have been trying to go down the last few years and faild. 

Jesus wept, let SA do his work and lets see what happens.

WhereTF did I say lets sign only the best, Adriano, Kaka, Villa, Torres or whoever the **** else?

If you read my full post I said he's nowt but a trier that's good at harrasing defenders for the ball and holding the ball up better than Ameobi (although I credit him to the odd special goal his scoring record playing up front is far from great) doesn't mean he'd be 10000000!!!!!!! x better than Shola. All I was saying was I really don't rate him, IMO I'd prefer signing Harewood as a squad player for the same money or just give Carroll a chance, Viduka can hold the ball up, Shola hasn't even done that bad the times he's played up front by himself in the past couple seasons in that role.

Barton and Smith will add more bite yes but how many games would we finish with 10 men, not to mention the evidence of the match 2 nights ago when plenty of the England U21's showed they have "bite" and a poor Dutch team knocked them out due to us lacking in technical ability and good positive tactics, regardless of the 'pride', 'fight', '110% effort' and 'determination' that most of the English players showed. Smith is the exact match of all those 'qualities' and evidence how the game in this country is so wrong where players are coached in this mentality of determination and effort over skill and creativity like the European way.

Take your point that he may just be backup and a squad player which is fair enough but I can't see him leaving the ManUre bench to sit on ours.... he would be a good squad player due to his versatility - but I'd be bitterly disappointed if he was to replace Owen/Martins.

Read the article (link below) where Allardyce talks about his worries about Viduka not being ready for the start of next season. This along with the fact that Viduka isn't exactly guaranteed to play a full season due to niggles here and there I believe Sam sees Alan Smith as too good a deal to pass up as an alternative to Viduka. Don't think he fancied the idea of having to rely on Ameobi, I'm not sure he trusts him that much.

I would expect Ameobi to be the one moving on shortly.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_method=full%26objectid=19302003%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Didn't someone post a newspapers transfer accuracy recently? I've got a feeling the Mirror had come up with more than double the number of links than any other paper. It's a fairly scattergun approach to reporting transfers!

Not good enough for us imo or even what we need. Would MUCH prefer to see Shola or even Luque playing for us over him!!!

That is exactly the kind of attitude that has stopped us buying players like Ashton & Andy Johnson in the past "not good enough for us, we need to buy Adriano, he is class on Pro Evo" blah blah.

When SA first arrived everybody was saying lets build a sensible squad etc etc, now Mr Ashley has taken over the freaks are saying we should buy only the best.  Which is exactly the road we have been trying to go down the last few years and faild. 

Jesus wept, let SA do his work and lets see what happens.

WhereTF did I say lets sign only the best, Adriano, Kaka, Villa, Torres or whoever the **** else?

If you read my full post I said he's nowt but a trier that's good at harrasing defenders for the ball and holding the ball up better than Ameobi (although I credit him to the odd special goal his scoring record playing up front is far from great) doesn't mean he'd be 10000000!!!!!!! x better than Shola. All I was saying was I really don't rate him, IMO I'd prefer signing Harewood as a squad player for the same money or just give Carroll a chance, Viduka can hold the ball up, Shola hasn't even done that bad the times he's played up front by himself in the past couple seasons in that role.

Barton and Smith will add more bite yes but how many games would we finish with 10 men, not to mention the evidence of the match 2 nights ago when plenty of the England U21's showed they have "bite" and a poor Dutch team knocked them out due to us lacking in technical ability and good positive tactics, regardless of the 'pride', 'fight', '110% effort' and 'determination' that most of the English players showed. Smith is the exact match of all those 'qualities' and evidence how the game in this country is so wrong where players are coached in this mentality of determination and effort over skill and creativity like the European way.

Take your point that he may just be backup and a squad player which is fair enough but I can't see him leaving the ManUre bench to sit on ours.... he would be a good squad player due to his versatility - but I'd be bitterly disappointed if he was to replace Owen/Martins.

Marlon Harewood is a waste of space who is more suited to league 1. He had one good season and last year was a true representation of his complete lack of ability. 5 million for him would be unbelievably bad. Premier league needs players like Smith and we want a team not a group of individuals who are playing for themselves. smith is a team player and would aid us in creating the close knit unit that we need right now. 

Theres a difference in saying we're linked with,  and that we have actually managed to sign,  though.

They also came up with Allardyce to Newcastle,  and said he was bringing Barton with him - before he was appointed manager.  I believe this is going to happen.

Would only want him as a back up to others already here, and I suppose his physical approach could reap rewards away from home against soem of the smaller clubs. But against the top clubs - no thanks, he just not possess enough quality, either as a striker or a link midfielder. Fergie is rarely wrong when releasing players. There is also a huge doubt as to whether he has recovered fully from that horrific leg injury. I hope that this is just one of those rumours that will see him eventually going to soemwhere that his talents deserve - back to Leeds or the mackems.

i have a lot a friends that say Alan Smith was the key to that trouncing they gave Roma, while i didn't watch the match, i trust what they say somewhat.  That was post injury and required a lot more than just effort (them saying his passing was fantastic especially).

I made a sweeping statement about the general attitude of some of the people on here. 

Clearly people have forgotten already where we finished last season.

Guest SwissMagpie

I hope so,attack of Martins Owen Duke and Smit is great.and send Ameobi to Wigan(with Baba and Carr)

For some reason this sounds right.

Sometimes these stories are banded about and you just think........ bollocks (normally from the mouth of anal). This one just seems a little more accurate, maybe its the fact that are saying we HAVE won the race as apposed to we are going to win the race to sign him.

I've always been someone who likes versitile players of a good standard, Alan Smith certainly is that. Imagine we were to have the same injury crisis this season as we had for the last two years, an Alan Smith would come in very handy.

As for his technical ability, i think he's alot better than some of you are making out. Was Shearer great technically? No but his goals and workrate contributed massively to the squad. Smith has scored goals in the past but has some proving to do after his injury. Sounds a perfect signing for Sam.

Wish we would sign some defenders ffs.