Newcastle win race to sign Alan Smith - Mirror gossip

Guest sicko2ndbest

A front two of Viduka and Smith would be too slow. If he's a squad player then fine, otherwise it doesn't make sense. The Mirror is unreliable with transfer rumours anyway, I'll wait for confirmation before taking this as a done deal.

Seems a weird signing, and I wouldn't want him replacing either Owen or Martins, both of whom are goalscorers, instinctive players up top. If Shola were to leave, however, he would be a decent signing in that he could cover a few positions. Not one that inspires me, however.

Very good move. If he can back to his peak he can be the best partner of Owen or Martins,

or at least he could act as cover for midfield or forward. For only 3.5m nowadays this definitely worths a gamble.

Guest lebowski

I think he's s**** tbh, however he could do the job of holding the ball up better than Shola in a 4-5-1 formation.

I can only see him being back up to Viduka anyway, keep the F.A.B on his toes anyway.

when fit and in form I would have him ahead of Viduka anyday, can play up front or in the midfield. Gives everything on the field. Wouldn't complain (unless we miss out on all the defenders we are linked with).

I think £3.5 million (plus big wages) is a lot of cash for a striker who doesnt score many goals, and tries to play midfield, but isnt good enough there.

Cant see Shola leaving, cant see Smith coming either.

A front two of Viduka and Smith would be too slow. If he's a squad player then fine, otherwise it doesn't make sense. The Mirror is unreliable with transfer rumours anyway, I'll wait for confirmation before taking this as a done deal.

They were good enough for Leeds!

I was expecting some news today, but thought it would be about defenders. Owens or Martins is gone (possibly both!) if this comes true.

I do not think Owen or Martins will leave, whether we buy Alan Smith or not.

The future here is so strong now  -  even they must know that!

Guest maznislav

I would love to see Smith in Newcastle, but I don't think that Big Sam will bring him here. He already has enough forwarders.

If my club were buying him to play as a striker, I'd be pretty worried, he's not going to be prolific.

If we were buying him as a decent, versatile addition to the squad, I'd be less concerned. Quite happy, in fact.

Yes they were many ages ago. Viduka is now 33 and weighs quite a bit more. Smith won't have his old pace after smashing his leg in two. If we play those two together we'll have one of the least mobile forward lines in the Premier.

Anyway, I think this story is pure BS. I don't expect it to be confirmed so it doesn't matter in any case.

Yes they were many ages ago. Viduka is now 33 and weighs quite a bit more. Smith won't have his old pace after smashing his leg in two. If we play those two together we'll have one of the least mobile forward lines in the Premier.

Anyway, I think this story is pure BS. I don't expect it to be confirmed so it doesn't matter in any case.

Viduka is 31 mate

Guest elbee909

Viduka is 33 is he?

09/10/1975

Viduka is 31 mate

My bad. He looks about 35. Anyway, the point being, I don't see him and Smith as a forward line that will work. Put either of those two alongside Martins or Owen and we might be onto something.

Viduka is 31 mate

My bad. He looks about 35. Anyway, the point being, I don't see him and Smith as a forward line that will work. Put either of those two alongside Martins or Owen and we might be onto something.

I agree, I see Smith as a link up if we play 4-3-3 or cover for Butt in a holding role!

Reasons Alan Smith would be a fantastic signing:

1 - At 3.5 mil he represents fantastic value when figures like 7mil for Nugent, 5mil for Kamara, 17 mil for Bent are being banded about

2 - Smith is equally at home in midfield or up front. Can you imagine how tenacious a midfield of Barton and Smith would be

3 - He will have a massive point to prove, especially to Fergie.

4 - He is English and knows the league inside out. We will have one of the most english squads in the premiership

5 - He has a winning, never say die attitude which will help us at Wigan, Fulham and Reading etc, which is and has been an achilles heel for us.

All 100% true and everything said in there sums it up!

Viduka is 31 mate

I agree, I see Smith as a link up if we play 4-3-3 or cover for Butt in a holding role!

Why would Smith come here as cover for Butt in a holding role? To take his first team place maybe. That's the only possible reason I could see for signing Smith, as a midfielder.

Viduka is 31 mate

Why would Smith come here as cover for Butt in a holding role? To take his first team place maybe. That's the only possible reason I could see for signing Smith, as a midfielder.

Well it depends who trains hardest I suppose