Darren Bent signs for Spurs, £16.5m fee confirmed

Guest sicko2ndbest

going to spurs

SSN now...

Waste of money for them imho, Last season their front line wasnt the problem it was their defence. LW and CM. Berb and Keane looked very good as a partnership so spending £17m on a pretty much back up player is a waste, Defoe always seemed pretty when he came on off the bench aswell.

Guest Morph

WTF?  No way is he worth that much.  Should consider spending their money in areas where they need to.  This is a silly transfer that I would have expected the likes of us to do 3 or 4 years ago.

I thought they said it was going to come in under £10m?

How? They had a 13m bid rejected last week.  :idiot2:

I thought they said it was going to come in under £10m?

How? They had a 13m bid rejected last week.  :idiot2:

Yes, made the mistake of believing some bollocks. Thought there might be a swap, conditions or something.

i hope that call for Martin Jol to be banned was a joke? just take the posted rumors with a pinch of salt and enjoy the speculation, m8. if we're going to ban people for wrong rumors no one will dare say anything in this board and that would take away a big chunk of entertainment.

16m for Bent is silly money, but if he fires spurs into the CL that sum would be irrelavent. yes henry cost the same but in 4 years time henry's value will be zero while Bent will still be worth a bit of dosh, if not more than what they're paying for him now. everyone knows strikers are always more expensive anyway. Bent has scored plenty of goals in the prem playing for a poor side, who's to say he won't score at the least the same amount playing in a better one (with Berbatov as his partner to boot).

people may look at the scoring record of their strikers last season - what was it, 60 goals in total? - and wonder why they need to buy Bent, but it doesn't highlight one problem that they have ie that Keane and Defoe can't play with each other - they lose out too much physically with those 2 up front. Bent, though not as good as Defoe in certain aspects, brings a better balance and would be able to play in tandem with any of their current strikers. they got lucky last season that Berbatov was able to play almost every match but with Keane and Defoe being such a heavily compromised duo it's too risky to expect another injury-free season from Berbatov and i think Jol is smart to recognize that. not to mention Defoe has 2 years left on his contract and reportedly refusing to sign a new one, i think Spurs learnt their lesson with Campbell and they won't be letting him run his contract out. i think we can learn from such pro-active management of the squad.

i know most Spurs fans feel they're getting robbed now, but personally i think they're making a good move, even if at face value it seems an expensive one.

on the subject of Defoe, i think he'd be a great buy for us should we lose Owen or Oba. him and Viduka up front would be a good combo.

Great stuff by Charlton.

Will you take £10m? We want £17m.

How about £6m plus £2m a year for the next 4 years then? We want £17m.

Will £12m do? We want £17m.

£12m plus an extra £2.5m on appearances? We want £17m.

£15m? We want £17m.

£16.5m? *chairman sniggers* yeah ok then.

Because fans of any club are welcome?

My point being, we have (as far as I know) 1 Villa supporter, 1 City supporter, 1 Liverpool supporter, and maybe a few others that aern't as noticable.

So why so many fans of Tottenham, of all places

Guest optimistic nit

£16.5m. :lol:

fucking ludicrous isn't it :lol:

Whats more, Defoe is probably the better player but will probably be sold for half that sum. Wasn't jol on here saying how spurs aren't stupid and wouldn't pay over 12 for this kid? :lol:

Mad price

Spuds linked to SWP's and Diarra aswell?

Id echo JS's comments really. Alot of money but I think will be worth it. Offers them the pace of defoe but with the power and great aerial prowess.

Wouldnt mind Defoe as a replacement for Owen or Martins, but would prefer Anelka classier version of bent, might not score as many goals though.

Mad price

Spuds linked to SWP's and Diarra aswell?

Id echo JS's comments really. Alot of money but I think will be worth it. Offers them the pace of defoe but with the power and great aerial prowess.

Wouldnt mind Defoe as a replacement for Owen or Martins, but would prefer Anelka classier version of bent, might not score as many goals though.

Would be a big fee, but any big number can be put to the media.  The true fee has to be reported to the Stock Exchange, if the true fee is big enough.

Our new #23 will be fine.

Great stuff by Charlton.

Will you take £10m? We want £17m.

How about £6m plus £2m a year for the next 4 years then? We want £17m.

Will £12m do? We want £17m.

£12m plus an extra £2.5m on appearances? We want £17m.

£15m? We want £17m.

£16.5m? *chairman sniggers* yeah ok then.

classic. Spurs must have the most timid negotiators...

not that we haven't had our number of ridiculous deals....

man i think we're getting on our high horses a bit here aren't we?  as the boy eaststar points our we're hardly in a position to laugh at or criticise anybody for paying high fees for players are we?

fact is i'd pay that for bent simply for the fact he's doing what he's doing at 22 years of age

name me another player who is basically GUARANTEED to get you 20 goals a season at 22 years of age for 16.5m....if he was italian or spanish no-one would care...torres is the same age as bent as is going for 27m and his scoring record is FAR inferior to bent

so where's the chelp coming from?  compare it that and it looks shrewd to me

fact is this time last year everyone went mental about carricks fee and look what happened there - my fear is that spurs have just concluded a similarly effective piece of business

man i think we're getting on our high horses a bit here aren't we?  as the boy eaststar points our we're hardly in a position to laugh at or criticise anybody for paying high fees for players are we?

fact is i'd pay that for bent simply for the fact he's doing what he's doing at 22 years of age

name me another player who is basically GUARANTEED to get you 20 goals a season at 22 years of age for 16.5m....if he was italian or spanish no-one would care...torres is the same age as bent as is going for 27m and his scoring record is FAR inferior to bent

so where's the chelp coming from?  compare it that and it looks shrewd to me

fact is this time last year everyone went mental about carricks fee and look what happened there - my fear is that spurs have just concluded a similarly effective piece of business

Yeah, but all this time they've had a laugh at us because of how great their transfer policy is supposedly, and now they've went and done a typical "Shepherd" signing.

Tell you what, if I was Villa now I'd put £8m on the table for Defoe, take it or leave it. Would Spurs really be in a position to reject a bid that high for their 4th choice striker? I can't see him staying there and staying happy as things stand.