Alou Diarra - Equipe.

Optimistic Nut

Bayern "let" him got because his contract ran out and he refused to sign a new contract. Liverpool let him go when they already had a midfield stocked with Alonso, Sissoko, Hamann, Gerard. Lyon later signed him for 6.25m Euro.

Edit: And he was a hit at Lens for two full seasons.

Liverpool should have just kept him instead of spending money on Sissoko. Diarra is just as good.

Benitez probably got rid of him just because he was a Houllier buy and brought his own man in. Cutting his nose off to spite his face at the bargain price of £6m. Then he cries poverty to the media.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9883/getimagead9lr2.th.jpg

According to this piece, Benfica have supposedly slashed their price from £12mil to £6mil!

I read this from a S***s forum.

Dont know how reliable that paper is though.

But i would really love him here, He's maybe not a real DM but he is class and his value will be higher in the future. Have been reading that Benfica wants £12M for him.

He is class, proven in this league, young. Simply one for now and the future.

Im sure that his value will rise alot over a season or two. He has almost everything you can ask for.

Get him in!! Even if it costs us £10m+

Guest optimistic nit

"surrenchérir sur les 8,5 millions proposés par Portsmouth à l'OL."

seems they find the idea of pompey being able to attract a player like diarra as funny as we do.

"surrenchérir sur les 8,5 millions proposés par Portsmouth à l'OL."

seems they find the idea of pompey being able to attract a player like diarra as funny as we do.

:lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Magpies' Diarra swoop reported

20070623 16:40 

Newcastle have made a late bid to hijack Portsmouth's move for Alou Diarra by bettering the personal terms on offer to the Lyon star.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce showed interest in the French World Cup player shortly after taking the St James' Park hot seat, but was thought to be concentrating on other areas of his squad after capturing Joey Barton. 

Portsmouth agreed a £5.5million fee with Lyon for Diarra, heading off rival interest from Werder Bremen and Bordeaux, but the player himself then invited Newcastle to make a rival bid, suggesting he would prefer a switch to Tyneside. 

Reports in France today suggest Newcastle have bettered the personal terms on offer from Pompey, which could enable Allardyce to steal him from under Pompey chief Harry Redknapp's nose if they can also agree a fee with the French champions. 

Source Clubcall (i know). However it is just a good translation of the story running in french papers today

Promising  O0

According to this piece, Benfica have supposedly slashed their price from £12mil to £6mil!

But i would really love him here, He's maybe not a real DM but he is class and his value will be higher in the future. Have been reading that Benfica wants £12M for him.

Im sure that his value will rise alot over a season or two. He has almost everything you can ask for.

The price is £12m.

The £6m or 9m euros is for Benfica's 50%. A consortium owns the other half.

The price is £12m.

The £6m or 9m euros is for Benfica's 50%. A consortium owns the other half.

Oh ok. I see. I did not know that. But still a good player..

I think it'll be similar to Lerner at Villa in that it won't be until January before we see the Ashley cash.

Not sure, our take over comes much earlier into the season than the Villa one. I was working in Birmingham at that time and the takeover took until August to be completed. At Newcastle most of has already gone through and Ashley can already be involved in the decision making.

Guest Darth Toon

Still nobody who´s actually seen this Diarra bloke play regularly? What is everybody basing their optimism on?

Have to admit I can't recall ever seeing this bloke play (probably have, but there's a lot of Diarras out there) so would base any optimism on Sam's record of digging out good players, epecially of the defensive midfield variety.

Certainly looks like his primary criteria for recruits is physical presence though - with the addition of Viduka, Barton, Rozehnal and possibly this bloke we won't be anyones pushovers next season.

I've done some reading up on him on a French Olympique Lyon site and it seems it's not so much his ability that's caused him to play as much as you'd expect, but a clash of personalities with Houllier.. It seems to have started with Diarra refusing to play for their reserves after a period of being out with injuries. It's put my mind at ease a bit; they seem to think he's talented at least, and I rate Allardyce's man management skills higher than Houlier's..

Im glad that we will have som taller players in our team/squad for this new season that starts.

Isn't there any french member on this forum that can light us up about Alou Diarra. I guess those french fans support Arsenal.

been reading abit on a Lyon forum. He wants to play in the EPL and is cool on the idea of joining Pompey, i also read somewhere that he has refused to sign for pompey. Dont know how reliable that is though

Rough translation from a Lyon Forum:

Me I do not know so much what to think, each match which it plays it is excellent, it undoubtedly does not play enough (done with av)

I guess it says that he doesn't now what to think, each game he plays in he is excellent, undoubtedly he doesn't play enough. (but i guess you could understand that yourself)

From what I remember Alou Diarra was actually asked back by Rafa after his first season at Lens because of how well he was doing there, but he chose to stay at Lens because they had showed so much faith in him and had helped him kickstart his career.

I've done some reading up on him on a French Olympique Lyon site and it seems it's not so much his ability that's caused him to play as much as you'd expect, but a clash of personalities with Houllier.. It seems to have started with Diarra refusing to play for their reserves after a period of being out with injuries. It's put my mind at ease a bit; they seem to think he's talented at least, and I rate Allardyce's man management skills higher than Houlier's..

sounds about right, houllier is a joker and if he thinks this lad is shite then the likelihood is he's not to be honest

remember this is the coach that called david ginola a "murderer" when france failed to qualify for USA '94 - he's a shit manager taking lyon backwards

Guest sicko2ndbest

In todays l'equipe. Translation anyone. Looks like a rehash of yesterdays story

Alou Diarra : Newcastle aussi. La liste des clubs s'intéressant à Alou Diarra s'allonge un peu plus. Déjà courtisé par Portsmouth, le Werder Brême, Bordeaux et Monaco, le milieu défensif international de l'Olympique lyonnais serait également sur les tablettes de Newcastle.