Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

i also would prefer Martins than Bent

Martins scored 17goals altogether in his opening season in England

bent would oviously come to more money, so martins is cheaper

and who knows...Martins might score 20goals+ next season

my point isnt who would you rather have. its that martins isnt worth any more than 13mil. if we sold him for that i would be extremely happy tbh. also how can you think martins is better than bent. martins was pretty poor last season tbh

i also would prefer Martins than Bent

Martins scored 17goals altogether in his opening season in England

bent would oviously come to more money, so martins is cheaper

and who knows...Martins might score 20goals+ next season

my point isnt who would you rather have. its that martins isnt worth any more than 13mil. if we sold him for that i would be extremely happy tbh. also how can you think martins is better than bent. martins was pretty poor last season tbh

true but he still scored enough for his opening season

i think he will only get better but will not be worth much more money than £13mil

Martins is a very different sort of player to Owen or Viduka. IMO Bent is very much a poor version of Owen, a poacher who is very good at finishing off chances when they are presented to him. Martins has more ability to create goals of his own and with the finishing ability he has in both feet from long range he is a very useful weapon. He does need to improve his composure but its really not the hardest thing in the world to do and its not impossible to coach. Next season he will have 2 players who can help him improve upon these things and one of these (Owen) is one of the best in the business at it. I am sure given a defined role alongside a quality partner we will see his movement improve as I really feel last season he was trying to do the running for both strikers (often witnessed when he was winning headers flicking the ball onto Sibierski!).

The reason Martins signed for us is he wanted to play week in, week out. He wouldn't be guaranteed that at Arsenal, and he knows it.

Inter didn't exactly put up much of a fight to keep him, which is surprising considering Crespo was 32 and Martins only 21, so could easily have taken his place by now with "proper coaching".

The reason Martins signed for us is he wanted to play week in, week out. He wouldn't be guaranteed that at Arsenal, and he knows it.

Inter didn't exactly put up much of a fight to keep him, which is surprising considering Crespo was 32 and Martins only 21, so could easily have taken his place by now with "proper coaching".

Inter hardly have a record of developing players do they?

Another Newcastle striker, Obafemi Martins, has said he will meet Allardyce tomorrow to discuss his future. Martins, touted for a £13m move to either Arsenal or West Ham United, was speaking in Nigeria yesterday and said of recent speculation: "Right now all I know is what I read in the papers. I have a meeting with the manager when I get back to training. We will see what happens then."

From today's Guardian. Surprised that this wasn't settled in Austria, but looks like tomorrow will be D-day in any case. Allardyce has worked his magic with Owen, remains to be seen whether he can do the same with Martins.

Another Newcastle striker, Obafemi Martins, has said he will meet Allardyce tomorrow to discuss his future. Martins, touted for a £13m move to either Arsenal or West Ham United, was speaking in Nigeria yesterday and said of recent speculation: "Right now all I know is what I read in the papers. I have a meeting with the manager when I get back to training. We will see what happens then."

From today's Guardian. Surprised that this wasn't settled in Austria, but looks like tomorrow will be D-day in any case. Allardyce has worked his magic with Owen, remains to be seen whether he can do the same with Martins.

Linked with West Ham! I doubt he would go to West Ham from us.

I've noticed that the same people slagging off Owen before, haven't had a go at Martins for not coming out and telling us he's staying.

Strange that.

Thst becuase he has!!

A few days before the get out clause story hit the papers he said he is happy here and wants to stay!

Obafemi Martins Is Happy At Newcastle United – The Magpies Striker Escapes Armed Attack in Nigeria

June 20th

When Sam Allardyce took the reigns at Newcastle United in his hands, he had vowed to keep Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins at St James’ Park. Although speculations on Owen’s future are mounting, Nigerian ace Martins has pledged his future to the Magpies.

Martins, who arrived at the Tyneside club last summer for £10.1 million and made a slow start to go onto score 11 Premiership goals, had reportedly gone AWOL in the Magpies final match of the season at Watford raising doubts over his commitment to Toon. However, the former Inter Milan player had claimed that he had an injury and pulled out of the Hornets clash.

However on Wednesday, the 22-year-old told The Chronicle: "I signed a contract with Newcastle and I am happy at the club and the way the fans supported me even when I wasn't scoring great.

"If I am fully fit there is no way I will back out from playing any game for Newcastle. But it wouldn't be right for me to wear the shirt and play when I know that I will not be giving my best. That will be like cheating the fans.

"Everytime I play I want to give my best and it upsets me when people suggest that I tried to dodge a game by faking injury. I have never done that and I will never do that."

Martins also revealed that he had a miraculous escape when on his recent visit to Lagos to play for his country, he was shot at.

"They shot indiscriminately and tried to kill all the occupants of the car. They weren't there to rob me, but to finish me off,” he recounted the horrendous incident.

"I thought I was going to die. They executed it like professional hired assassins. They didn't say anything to me but just started shooting at the car. It was hell. I was dead in my heart and soul. It all happened like in the movies."

From Mediawatch:

'Sam Allardyce faces the prospect of losing both of Newcastle United's first-choice strikers before the start of next season after it emerged that Obafemi Martins, like Michael Owen, has a buyout clause in his contract at St James' Park' - Jason Burt, The Independent, June 22.

'Attention will also now focus on who Wenger will sign to replace Henry, who arrived from Juventus in 1999 for a fee of £10.5m and who has blossomed into the club's record goalscorer and a superstar of world football. It is understood that Wenger is seriously considering a move for Newcastle United's Obafemi Martins who has a £13m buy-out clause in his contract ­ to the annoyance of manager Sam Allardyce' - Jason Burt, The Independent, June 23.

'Arsenal have identified Obafemi Martins as their main transfer target this summer and are planning to make a £13m move for the Newcastle United striker in the next few days' - Jason Burt, The Independent, June 28.

'William Gallas yesterday confirmed the rumours that he wants to follow Thierry Henry out of Arsenal by claiming they lacked ambition and stating that "several players are questioning the club's future" ­ even though they are poised to launch a £13m bid to sign Newcastle United's Obafemi Martins later this week' - Jason Burt, The Independent, July 10.

'The situation with Martins is delicately poised. It now appears that the Nigerian has told Newcastle that he wants to leave and the £13m buy-out clause in his contract means they are powerless to stop him. Arsenal are showing the keenest interest' - Jason Burt, The Independent, July 11.

'Arsenal are close to announcing the £7m acquisition of right-back Bakary Sagna, from Auxerre, and are still mulling over whether to trigger the £13m buy-out clause in the contract of the Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins' - Jason Burt, The Independent, July 12.

I've noticed that the same people slagging off Owen before, haven't had a go at Martins for not coming out and telling us he's staying.

Strange that.

The situations aren't exactly identical though. Owen never really wanted to come here, we paid his wages for months while he was crocked, it stands to reason fans expected something in return. If Martins had spent most of his time here injured then jumped off his sick bed to activate a release clause I think people would be pretty pissed off to say the least.

Was'nt it reported that Owen wanted the get out clause and he would only sign with one, but  the Martins get out clause was more down to his agent demanding it rather than Martins himself.

What pissed me off with Owen was when asked by the chairman to come out and tell the fans what he was going to do he said nothing, yeah okay maybe both situations are very much the same but it still remains we could lose both of them down to stupid deals being done.

Its seems Owen though has no options so he feels its time to say he will stay, where as Martins seems to be the wanted man yet he has already said he will stay.

We are only going to find out 2 ways, 1st being both sign new deals with no get out clause or  bids are made and both players refuse to move to a new club and choose to stay here!

Why did Owen have to come out and say it then though? How was he to know what Allardyce's plans were, Ashley's plans, etc?

He now knows the score and is happy with it. That's all that matters in my eyes.

We could still lose both of them, Martins to Arsenal and Owen to Man ure, both players have said they will stay and thats great but this is the real world and we all know the lure of Man ure or the Gooners may be to great to resist.

Signing new deals is the only real way to prove their dedication t o the club..

From Mediawatch:

'Sam Allardyce faces the prospect of losing both of Newcastle United's first-choice strikers before the start of next season after it emerged that Obafemi Martins, like Michael Owen, has a buyout clause in his contract at St James' Park' - Jason Burt, The Independent, June 22.

'Attention will also now focus on who Wenger will sign to replace Henry, who arrived from Juventus in 1999 for a fee of £10.5m and who has blossomed into the club's record goalscorer and a superstar of world football. It is understood that Wenger is seriously considering a move for Newcastle United's Obafemi Martins who has a £13m buy-out clause in his contract ­ to the annoyance of manager Sam Allardyce' - Jason Burt, The Independent, June 23.

'Arsenal have identified Obafemi Martins as their main transfer target this summer and are planning to make a £13m move for the Newcastle United striker in the next few days' - Jason Burt, The Independent, June 28.

'William Gallas yesterday confirmed the rumours that he wants to follow Thierry Henry out of Arsenal by claiming they lacked ambition and stating that "several players are questioning the club's future" ­ even though they are poised to launch a £13m bid to sign Newcastle United's Obafemi Martins later this week' - Jason Burt, The Independent, July 10.

'The situation with Martins is delicately poised. It now appears that the Nigerian has told Newcastle that he wants to leave and the £13m buy-out clause in his contract means they are powerless to stop him. Arsenal are showing the keenest interest' - Jason Burt, The Independent, July 11.

'Arsenal are close to announcing the £7m acquisition of right-back Bakary Sagna, from Auxerre, and are still mulling over whether to trigger the £13m buy-out clause in the contract of the Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins' - Jason Burt, The Independent, July 12.

:lol:

Yeah I read that as well, this Jason Burt character must be dying for it to happen

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007320366,00.html

Obviously not as impressed with the pilates and bike rides as what Owen was...wants to wait until today before he decides what he wants to do.

SAM ALLARDYCE today hopes to persuade Oba Martins to follow Michael Owen’s example by pledging his future to Newcastle.

The Nigerian hitman, 22, is a target for Arsenal and has a £13million release clause in his contract.

Owen has a similar get-out option but this week announced he was staying at Toon despite speculation over a move.

Martins, who hopes for permission to play in a match to honour Nelson Mandela next week, said: “Right now, all I know is what I read in the papers.

“I am meeting with the manager when I get back to training. We will see what happens then.

“I will rejoin training on Friday and that will give me a chance to speak to the manager.”

Toon striker Albert Luque, 29, has given up his honeymoon in a bid to impress the new boss.

The Spanish international has endured a nightmare two years since his £9.5m move from Deportivo La Coruna.

He has been offered a fresh start and Allardyce said: “He got married at the weekend but has not had a honeymoon. His attitude is exceptional.”