Edmilson agrees move to NUFC. Or not? - SSN

magorific

Ask any Barcelona fan what they think of Edmilson and they'll tell you he's mediocre.

In fairness, when they have the likes of Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Henry, Messi, Deco, Xavi, Puyol, etc. I think Barca fans would consider the vast, vast majority of our first-team squad "mediocre" as well! Not saying what you've just posted there isn't right, but I'd imagine the Nou Camp isn't the easiest place in the world to be merely "good", if you see what I'm saying. The bloke hasn't been great whenever I've seen him (which has actually been a fair bit over the last few seasons due to how much Barca are on Sky/ITV) but I'd imagine he might still look a cut above when he's taken out of a team full of world-class players like at Barcelona/Brazil and put into a team like ours - which is light-years from either of those two at the moment.

Just because he doesn't stand-out in two of the biggest teams in the history of fussball doesn't mean he's an atrocious player, surely?

The things that are worrying are his injuries, the obvious lack of involvement until almost 2008 and the fact he might see us as nothing more than a cash cow. It's yet another one of those ones where we'll have to trust Sam's judgement, but a lot of the signs do point towards it being a flop, I can't argue with that. Let's not write the bloke off before he's even coming/comes though.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Marquez is just as comfortable playing in DM than he is at CB.

I'm aware of that, but fact is, he is a CB and still played ahead of him.

Guest exilim

He's not world class but he's an experienced centre back / defensive midfielder, probably amoung those players Sam is targetting to bring stability for the club. He played in the top flight and definitely not past his best, just like how everyone thought campo was.

Maybe campo was deemed surplus to requirements at Madrid too, but does that means he's shit or mediocre? I remember reading from somewhere that Sam likes to live on the edge, risk taking is probably his cup of tea, especially for established players who wants to prove a point again. But seriously, if you don't take risks in life, you won't get anywhere.

I admit that 2m for a 31 years old with a proven injury record and with no resell value is not a good deal in business terms. But if this guy is going to be another campo, will you not want him here for 2m or less?

...I'd imagine he might still look a cut above when he's taken out of a team full of world-class players like at Barcelona/Brazil and put into a team like ours...

That might have the reverse effect, it certainly did on the Chelsea players who have come here and on Nicky Butt too. Every single one has gone dramatically downhill.

Barca often dominate games with 60% possession and teams line up against them to defend and try and nick a goal on the counter. At Newcastle he won't always be recieving passes in neat little triangles and in plenty of space, he'll be expected to pull his finger out and lead the defence or the midfield, people will look up to him for inspiration, he'll be right in the spotlight which he wasn't at Barca. I don't even think he speaks English, it's a big ask. He'll probably be walking into the team in January in freezing conditions and a lot will be expected of him, big name player, Brazil international etc. He could rise to the occasion or he could be a big flop.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

It's hard to say if he'll be a flop or not. A lot of foreigners find it very difficult to adapt to our league. Like you said, he'll be 31, returning from injury in the cold and having to adapt to a whole new ball game. I'm not confident about signing him.

by whos definition is he a CB, he can play either comfortably and is world class in both positions

Guest exilim

Let's say if Sam really brings Edmilson in for 2m, and we signed Rozehnal recently for 2.9m isn't it? a 26 years old czech international for 2.9 m compared to a 31 years old brazil international with a terrible injury record doesn't sound right to me.

Tbh, none of our f****** first 11 could walk into the barcelona's first squad now. Will you not select henry before martins? Eto before owen? Ronaldhinho before duff? Deco before barton? Zambrotta before BABAYARO??

Sam is not stupid, he won't buy a mediocre for 2m. Nuff said.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

by whos definition is he a CB, he can play either comfortably and is world class in both positions

WORLD CLASS?!

:rant:

An injured player who is two weeks away from his 31st Birthday and is out for possibly 4 months shouldn't even be mentioned as a possible target, this is madness.  He's had at least two serious knee injuries so far, I doubt he's going to get stronger with age, if anything, he'll go the other way.

Could he pass a medical?

I suppose he could if we've got the same people carrying them out.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

An injured player who is two weeks away from his 31st Birthday and is out for possibly 4 months shouldn't even be mentioned as a possible target, this is madness.  He's had at least two serious knee injuries so far, I doubt he's going to get stronger with age, if anything, he'll go the other way.

Could he pass a medical?

Exactly, by the time he comes back he's halfway to being 32.

...I'd imagine he might still look a cut above when he's taken out of a team full of world-class players like at Barcelona/Brazil and put into a team like ours...

That might have the reverse effect, it certainly did on the Chelsea players who have come here and on Nicky Butt too. Every single one has gone dramatically downhill.

Barca often dominate games with 60% possession and teams line up against them to defend and try and nick a goal on the counter. At Newcastle he won't always be recieving passes in neat little triangles and in plenty of space, he'll be expected to pull his finger out and lead the defence or the midfield, people will look up to him for inspiration, he'll be right in the spotlight which he wasn't at Barca. I don't even think he speaks English, it's a big ask. He'll probably be walking into the team in January in freezing conditions and a lot will be expected of him, big name player, Brazil international etc. He could rise to the occasion or he could be a big flop.

The key fact you've missed in regards to the first line can be summed up by saying Shepherd, Souness and Roeder.

The second part of your post makes perfect sense and is something I wholeheartedly agree with. It'd be a hell of a gamble.

Guest exilim

Could he pass a medical?

At least he's 1.5 years younger than butt :lol:

WORLD CLASS?!

yes Marquez is world class in both positions

Guest Johan

A lot depends on how much money Sam will be given by Ashley. If the 50 millions are correct, then 2 million for Edmilson could be a good buy. We could be getting a very competent dm and cb for very little money as well as experience and leadership. I think Sam knows what he is doing, if he signs Edmilson it will be for a good reason.

Btw, how nice it feels to write that last sentence. Has not been since Bobbys early years you felt that.

I've just had a quick look at his stat's and he seems to have averaged less than 20 games a season over 14 years.

Edit

He's averaged almost 26 games per season for the last 6.

Guest mr quimbys beard

Could he pass a medical?

32 isnt a great age for a defender!

Guest Bellers

I think it's pretty well known Edmilson isn't world class, but can you really complain with the garbage we've had to put up with for years. He'll bring stability if anything along with a wealth of experience which may bring the best out in the likes of Taylor and Huntington. Even if only signs for a couple of years until we bring in a younger player with greater quality we're benefiting

Personally I'd bring him in as a defensive midfielder, although his reading of the game isn't a significant improvement on Butt, his passing game and general abilities on the ball are superior.

The major stumbling block for me will be his wages. I'd be reluctant to pay a world class player £80,000 a week, let alone an above average player who's out until November, we'll have shelled out two million pounds before he's even kicked a ball it's just not on. Ideally I'd like to offer him a pay as you play contract, but in this day and age I can't see any player biting at that.

32 isnt a great age for a defender!

I'd agree under normal circumstances but not when the soon to be 32 year old is injured for up to 4 months, has a poor injury record, has never played in this country and probably thinks 20'C is cold, he could regain his fitness when our daily temperature is averaging 6-7'C.

Add to that, his use of English seems to be close to zero.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

WORLD CLASS?!

yes Marquez is world class in both positions

Oh, yes he is. I thought you were talking about Edmilson.

Marquez blows, simple as that. Edmilson is a DM  and a much better player then Marquez was at barca this season. He was the reason they lost to Getafe 4-0 and the reason they got eliminated by Liverpool in the Champions League, ive lived in mexico for the alst 2 years, and hes the most overrated player and the mexican people agree with me. Theres better players.

Guest exilim

Seriously Barca would rather offload thiago motta whose 24 than Edmilson whose 31, you could see how good Edmilson is! :lol:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Could he pass a medical?

He's 16? Anyway, if Edmilson comes here I think he will be a success under Allardyce and to date I've never been wrong about anything