Owen and Martins contract clauses

Guest Brazilianbob

Can't see what the problem is with either of the clauses tbh.

We paid way over the odds for Owen and getting £9m for a bloke with just 2 years left on his contract is decent business imo. (straight-line depreciation etc...)

We paid way over the odds for Urberfemi and turning a £3m profit in 11 months represents good value and a good move on behalf of Shepherd.

If we lose both then fair enough - they don't want to be here. Fuck 'em. Don't want to see anybody at the club who doesn't want to play for NUFC.

Money in the bank > unhappy player.

Submitting to player/agents' demands, in the form of these minimum release fee or 'escape clauses', is indicative of how far our stock had fallen in the transfer market during and in the wake of Souness' reign where European Football is no longer a guaranteed but vital commodity in terms of being a bargaining tool used to attract established blue-chip players in the form of Owen, and the best of the up & coming crop ala Martins.

Souness' damage inflicted upon the club wasn't just limited to onfield performances & and of course losing our best players for next to nothing. These contract deals relating to Owen and Martins' contracts are reflective of this collateral off-field damage.

Can't see what the problem is with either of the clauses tbh.

We paid way over the odds for Owen and getting £9m for a bloke with just 2 years left on his contract is decent business imo. (straight-line depreciation etc...)

We paid way over the odds for Urberfemi and turning a £3m profit in 11 months represents good value and a good move on behalf of Shepherd.

If we lose both then fair enough - they don't want to be here. f*** 'em. Don't want to see anybody at the club who doesn't want to play for NUFC.

Money in the bank > unhappy player.

Thing is the money is no longer the most important thing for us. With Ashley on board we won't be a selling club, so it's about keeping the quality players ahead of bagging the cash.

I said not long ago that £9m isn't that bad for a player with two years left on his deal and on the back of almost 18 months without football. If it was the amazing bargain it's made out to be, someone would have paid it by now. Other clubs will be looking at him saying he's barely kicked a ball since December 2005 and wanting assurances before they pay £9m and sign him up on a 5 year deal worth god knows how much. They know fine well that our problem could become their problem.

But Owen's not all that replaceable because we can't attract anybody of his calibre once we lose him. The best we can do is get someone with that kind of potential, or someone more suited to our team's style of play (whatever that will be). Owen can be the difference for us in tight games, he can separate us from the Evertons and Tottenhams, and if we get to a cup final you know you want someone like him in your team. For those reasons I do hope he stays.

Guest Brazilianbob

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, our problem is not the minimal amount of the £9m buy out clause, rather the fact that any interested clubs will not lodge early bids for Owen.  They will want to avoid a bidding war as in the Rooney scenario, and will wait until the transfer window is about to close before activating the clause with a bid of £9m.  If the offer is attractive to Owen he will go and we will be left without striking cover until at least January, when we will have to pay way over the odds for a striker because everyone will know we are desperate for for a striker to replace Owen.

Of course in a worst case scenario, both Owen and Martins could leave in the situation i have described, and we will be left with Viduka, Ameobi and young Carroll as cover.  Not good enough to get us back into Europe.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, our problem is not the minimal amount of the £9m buy out clause, rather the fact that any interested clubs will not lodge early bids for Owen. They will want to avoid a bidding war as in the Rooney scenario, and will wait until the transfer window is about to close before activating the clause with a bid of £9m. If the offer is attractive to Owen he will go and we will be left without striking cover until at least January, when we will have to pay way over the odds for a striker because everyone will know we are desperate for for a striker to replace Owen.

Of course in a worst case scenario, both Owen and Martins could leave in the situation i have described, and we will be left with Viduka, Ameobi and young Carroll as cover. Not good enough to get us back into Europe.

That is why Sam wants Eidur Gudjonsson. He knows he'll lose 1 if not both. And only Man U will meet Owens financial aspirations.

Unless the two contracts are renegotiated, which would mean a vote of confidence from both players, then we can wave goodbye to both of them this transfer window:

Owen: Undoubted world class and at 9 million a snip!!

Martins: First season in prem and scores 17 goals playing for a shite team, imagine what he could do in a good team!!

Guest icemanblue

Owen + 5 million for Wes Brown

That is the only player i would negotiate with

You. Are. Nuts.

Guest johnson293

In this mornings Journal, Sam states that the contracts of Barton, Viduka and Rozehnal have NO escape clauses, and any future signings wont have either, and they are something that he (with the help of Christopher Mort) wants eradicating from the club.

Not sure if this means that the club are also seeking to try, or have tried to renegotiate the contracts of both Owen and Martins - but good to see that errors have been spotted, and won't be made again.

I'm slightly indifferent to the situation at the moment - while I want both to stay, I would be prepared to lose them for their full respective release clauses (£22m total), if they go now.

However, if they dont go soon, we need to try and put some agreement in place that they dont leave us without any time to replace them.

I know there isn't much Loyalty in football these days, but surely they both owe us that much at least??

Probably been asked and answered a thousand times already in other threads..but with these clauses...once a club offers the amount...is it then up to the player to decide to stay or not...so in theory if oba or owen is convinced to stay, it wouldn't matter if there were a ton of bids? Hypothetically of course....

Probably been asked and answered a thousand times already in other threads..but with these clauses...once a club offers the amount...is it then up to the player to decide to stay or not...so in theory if oba or owen is convinced to stay, it wouldn't matter if there were a ton of bids? Hypothetically of course....

Pretty sure that's right. All the clause means is that we have to accept a bid that matches it, then it just becomes like a normal transfer, and the player can turn them down if he so wishes (e.g. Bent and Wham)

Yup, and that gives us a little bit of insurance, because if someone bids for Owen they'll have to match his wage demands, which given his recent lack of matches makes signing him a massive gamble.

The only reason to put release clauses in is to stop players leaving. You see this in Spain where Torres had a 90 million euro clause, which was basically a way of saying he was off the market. When they decided to sell him they dropped it to 40 million euro, which ended up being almost what they accepted.

Our problem is the clauses have been there to give players a route out if things go badly, and the only reason you'd do that is to convince them to sign when you're desperate. Oh.

Unless the two contracts are renegotiated, which would mean a vote of confidence from both players, then we can wave goodbye to both of them this transfer window:

Owen: Undoubted world class and at 9 million a snip!!

Martins: First season in prem and scores 17 goals playing for a s**** team, imagine what he could do in a good team!!

Couldn't agree more, hence Wenger's interest. 17 goals in a team which lacked a transition passing game for two thirds of the season - ie. with Parker being the dominant/negative factor in the team's midfield engineroom - is a tidy return. The sort of team pattern of play needed to compliment Martins' attributes.... those being his pace and shooting power with both feet.

We caught a glimpse of Martins' EPL potential during the six week period when Butt ran the show in the middle of the park, the only period of the season when the necessary counterattacking pattern of play came into effect. I like him as a footballer.

Guest lebowski

I think the situation with Martins is understandable if he was purchased as a stop gap measure to cover the Owen injury. It wasn't forseen how well he would go for us, he did seem to be a little bit of a panic purchase at the time. However if the club was well run the person making the decisions (preumably Fat Fred) re these get out of jail clauses should have considered the situation we now find ourselves in ie potentially losing our 2 top strikers as the transfer window closes. Scary shit.

Just reading through some of these posts have made my blood boil, not the posts but remembering what happened to us when we last bought a player with a release clause.  It would boil my piss if Owen left under a clause for £9 million then received a loyalty bonus.

Owen wanting clauses fair enough, dont agree with the value of it.

Oba was going to be Inters 4th or 5th chocie striker,IIRC he did not start many games for them, he should not have been given a clause.

couple of points

firstly; fuck owen, never wanted to be here, money ain't an issue any more so let him go and sign defoe for the same money, we'd get more games out of the lad and consequently a similar goals return

secondly; martins hasn't even spoken to fat sam yet about his intentions, as admitted by fat sam himself....the rumours surrounding him are twofold, that he wants to go to back to italy and that arsenal will trigger his release clause

assuming him wanting to go back to italy is correct then i'm not sure we've much of a chelp - if it's "homesickness" with the lad and he's failed to settle here then it'll be better in everyones best interests if he goes

assuming the arsenal rumour is true then i can only see him leaving if fat sam doesn't get chance to talk to him first....at the end of the day arsenal are in transition, as are we, but our transition is headed one way only and arsenals might not be in the direction everyone thinks....if martins had any sense he'd reject arsenals approach and see what happens

just because a release clause is triggered doesn't mean the players gotsta go!!

personally i like the lad and would love to see what allardyce could do with him, he's got so much desire/pace/strength/skill - can you imagine how good he could be with a good manager channelling it correctly?

Guest Geordiesned

Owen to stay?

The story isn't available online yet but these are the front and back pages of today's Chronicle.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/jun2007/9/5/7C306B51-BD97-C45C-5D1AA1661112AE6A.jpg http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/jun2007/2/7/7C33F6AF-E096-E1B1-DA76ACD212D8A192.jpg