3-5-2

James

3-5-2 always sounds ace on paper, doesn't it.

I think the reason for why Allardyce is bringing in versatile players, is so that we have versatility in the squad. I know, sounds daft, but that's all it is imo.

Rozehnal and Edmilson can play in both defence and midfield, as can Geremi. Beye can play both at centre back and full back. In midfield, Dyer, Milner, N'Zogbia, Solano, Duff and Luque can take up a variety of roles. Effectively, we could switch to 442, 343 or 433 with a simple touchline order, each player being extremely comfortable at playing in the role they switch to.

This is the main point with any meat to it. He can chop and change during a match whenever he wants, thanks to the versatile squad that he's building. It's something we've very rarely had in our squad - the option to make a sudden and effective change to a tactic during the match. Nor have we had the manager with the ability to pull off any attempt to do so, Bobby being a strictly 4-4-2 man.

That's all it is i reckon, just some added versatility to the squad. Can't imagine he'll risk a 3-5-2 when it's had a history or never working in this country, both with the national squad and in the Premier League. Like Ohmelads said, i don't want us to be his failed experiment, and why would we be?

He'll stick to what he knows, i hope so anyway.

Really don't expect it to happen, but wouldn't rule it out.

N'Zogbia could end up as a wing-back in it, potentially. I would hope not though. Drenthe would be a good signing for this system I would think.

4-3-3 FTW, though.

I really hope that Sam concentrates on getting us defensively sound first and foremost. Then let's worry about what systems to play. In other words 4-4-2 for me and then once we have established ourselves we can look at others.

Guest mikefin

i would like to see it.

3-5-2/5-3-2

-------------- Given --------------

-- Beye? - Taylor - Rozenhal --

Geremi -------- Butt -------- ?????

--------- Barton -- Emre ----------

-------- Owen ------ Viduka ------

Guest Toonie

I would do this:

Given

Geremi    Taylor    Rozehnal