Milner signs new four-year deal

Guest hindu times

Only hope big sam can teach him how to play.  IF he learns to cross he may be useful squad rotation member.

I remember quite a few goals arising from a cross from Milner. He is young and has a future. I hope Sam does bring him on but he is worth a place at this club

"Should be the complete article at the age of 21."

True he aint beckham or a gillespie.  I guess we are used to accepting second best these days.

tbh i do think he should be in the squad.  Maybe he can develop into a good player.  Personally though i dont feel he should be the first choice in our midfield.

I acknowledge he proved invaluable in europe last season, he was too good for the opposition we played;  worldbeating teams like palma and howsyadog FC

I would play milner in cup games and in euro, and find better for our important games.

Guest DavB93

Only hope big sam can teach him how to play.  IF he learns to cross he may be useful squad rotation member.

:idiot2:

True he aint beckham or a gillespie.  I guess we are used to accepting second best these days.

tbh i do think he should be in the squad.  Maybe he can develop into a good player.  Personally though i dont feel he should be the first choice in our midfield.

I acknowledge he proved invaluable in europe last season, he was too good for the opposition we played;  worldbeating teams like palma and howsyadog FC

I would play milner in cup games and in euro, and find better for our important games.

You obviously weren't at the games last season, he was only of a couple of players who had a decent season. Quality player.

:lol: I was being sarcastic. Milner is a good player.

Guest Morph

He's got potential.  Should prove his worth in the next two seasons.  If he doesn't - then we can always sell him to spurs for 7 or 8 million.

Guest David Kelly

He's a half decent player and one of our best last season (does that really say much though) but lacks any sory of pace and his delivery is generally poor (although it has at least shown signs of improvement).

I agree with whoever said that he shouldn't be our first choice.

i saw milner play plenty last season.  he was average.

His passing was dodgy, his crossing ave, his finishing poor.

Nothing to get excited about.  If he can improve then he will justify his place in the team.

HOwever i do thing he works hard.  Just lacks the skill or brains to be top draw midfielder....hes a grafter, not a raw talent player.

Nothing to get excited about.  If he can improve then he will justify his place in the team.

HOwever i do thing he works hard.  Just lacks the skill or brains to be top draw midfielder....hes a grafter, not a raw talent player.

His crossing and finishing can be improved on i think and Allardyce will be able to get this out of him. That cross against Palermo and his goalscoring run which included strikes against Man Utd and Birmingham show that he has potential. Maybe under a different training regime he can further improve this and other aspects of his game?

Guest Dr. Pongle

Good news Milner along with Taylor were our best players last season

Must have missed that.

Milner ready for new deal

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JAMES MILNER is set to commit his future to Newcastle United by signing a long-term deal at St James’ Park.

The Toon winger is currently on holiday and not with his United team-mates at their summer “boot camp”, but will link up with Sam Allardyce and Co shortly after their return after being granted an additional rest period following his efforts at the Under-21 European Championships in Holland.

Milner, still just 21, thought his United career was over 11 months ago when he was set to join Aston Villa after being told he was surplus to requirements on Tyneside.

Newcastle believed that they had signed Mark Viduka last August from Middlesbrough, but when their first attempt to capture the Australian fell through on transfer deadline day, Milner was quickly recalled to United, even though he had just pulled up at Villa’s club car park and was ready to sign for the team who had him on loan for the 2005/2006 season.

Milner had been used as bait to lure Nobby Solano back to St James’ Park, but the pair ended up playing in the same team after he returned following the expiry of his loan deal.

And in another ironic twist, it looks like Milner will now be providing the bullets for his former Leeds team-mate Viduka, with Milner’s agent appearing to have agreed a fresh deal for the England Under-21 star.

Last season Milner played more games than anyone else at United, as he appeared in 53 games – an amazing statistic if you consider they were ready to axe the youngster.

Milner has two years left on his current deal, but he is likely to sign a five-year contract after being rewarded for last season’s performances by new boss Sam Allardyce, who will have noted his rise to prominence in the Premiership despite being in charge at Bolton.

Allardyce is keen to nail down the club’s best young players at the club, even though he is also committed to rebuilding a squad capable of challenging for the top six every season.

Milner first arrived on Tyneside from cash-strapped Leeds, who were reluctant to let one of their prize assets go for just £3.6m, in 2004.

After a frustrating first season at Newcastle, he was farmed out on loan to Villa, with his old boss David O’Leary keen to make the deal permanent before getting the sack.

And although Martin O’Neill was equally happy to welcome him back last August, the fact Milner stayed turned out to be a blessing for former United boss Glenn Roeder, who saw the player net some vital goals and put in some top-notch performances as one of the players of the season.

His agent – Professional Footballers’ Association deputy chief executive Mick McGuire – has now agreed a fresh contract after months of work, and once a few loose ends have been tied up Milner will sign the deal.

Link

Nothing to get excited about.   If he can improve then he will justify his place in the team.

I think your very wrong. Milner was very good last year, our player of the season, he was consistantly good and occaisionally excellent. He was far far better last year than his first stint here. Notably his crossing improved dramtically (the one against Palermo sticks out, but was one of many), unfortunately there was no shearer/viduka to attack many the crosses he provided. He also scored some screamers (man u etc) and his confidence started to visably rise. He got back well too and was always helping nobby out or making himself available for a pass for Shay, Nobby etc. In my opinion he'll get better and better he's a real grafter who has geniune talent and will work hard to get even better. Great attitude!! Take note Mr Dyer, Mr Luque etc