Leeds might not start season.

Optimistic Nut

LEEDS OWNERSHIP BATTLE HEADING FOR HIGH COURT

By Martyn Ziegler, PA Chief Sports Reporter

Leeds United's future remains dogged by uncertainty after a legal battle over the club's ownership was put off until September.

The Football League's board will discuss the Yorkshire club's situation next week and are likely to allow Leeds to start the new season despite the looming court case.

There are concerns however that Ken Bates' threat to cease funding the club due to a legal challenge by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) could have severe implications.

Leeds are in the hands of administrators KPMG who are legally obliged not to run up any more debt and if no funding is coming in to begin to wind the club up.

HMRC, who are owed £7.7million in unpaid tax and VAT, are challenging the resale of Leeds to Bates and Leeds United Football Club Ltd by the administrators and a five-day hearing will take place from September 3.

HMRC launched their challenge on Tuesday against the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) proposed by Leeds United Football Club Ltd and accepted by most of the club's creditors.

Bates had offered to pay them a total of 8p in the pound, but that was rejected.

KPMG's barrister Louis Doyle told the court that HMRC's appeal against the CVA would threaten to prevent United from starting the season.

Doyle said: "The cessation of these proceedings will actually stop Leeds playing at the start of the season.

"It remains to be seen what approach the league may take to that."

One option would be for the administrators to abandon the deal proposed by Bates and Leeds United Football Club Ltd and seek different buyers for the club.

On Tuesday Bates issued a stark warning telling Yorkshire Radio: "If there is a legal challenge it could take two or three months to get to court and be decided. In the meantime, who is going to pay to run the club? So far it's been funded by the 'new Leeds' but if there is a challenge the 'new Leeds' won't do it because it's a risk. The implications are that the club would close down."

Like a pheonix from the ashes the disillusioned masses, unhappy at how the club is being controlled, will rise up and form FC United of Leeds.

Then the franchise team will win something and everyone will forget all about it.

Or something.....

It really has turned to shit for them, hasn't it?

Scrapping in out in the 3rd tier of English football, administration, squabbling over ownership being dragged through the courts, possible extinction...

It's just not funny anymore.

It really has turned to s*** for them, hasn't it?

Scrapping in out in the 3rd tier of English football, administration, squabbling over ownership being dragged through the courts, possible extinction...

Its Leeds, so its ALWAYS funny :lol:

See where you're coming from but I've got a canny bit of sympathy for the genuine fans who've stuck by them. Every club's got it's arsehole element to it and I've got no sympathy for them but seeing Leeds down there man, it's just not right imo.  :undecided:

Guest gggg

Leeds fans keep going up in my estimation, they'll still get crowds of 20,000+ next season (if they have a team) despite all the shit they've been put through the last few years and still being ripped off with ticket prices. Never mind invading the pitch i'd hate to see the protests we'd have if we ended up down there in the shit in 3 years time.

Guest Guinness

See where you're coming from but I've got a canny bit of sympathy for the genuine fans who've stuck by them. Every club's got it's arsehole element to it and I've got no sympathy for them but seeing Leeds down there man, it's just not right imo.  :undecided:

Agreed, would be a shame to see them fold, always enjoyed our matches against them, particularly the 4-3 in 2001.

Guest Invicta_Toon

anyone remember the bloke slating the inland revenue for screwing Hartlepool and being lenient on Leeds

its great to watch this !!

My uncle is a leeds fan, and hes a bit egotastic.motor mouth, so its great seeing him look embarased wheni ask how leeds are doing.

HE was convinced nufc were gonna get relegated last season! 

Guest WalkervilleMag

never liked them, but hated them even more since that tosser Ken Bates took over. 

Guest WalkervilleMag

Hey Walkerville Mag, where did you get your avatar?

made it in Flash CS3  while i was messing about with it for things for my website

Guest Ebolarama

made it in Flash CS3  while i was messing about with it for things for my website

Crikey, really? That little flaming dude has been around for years, I've seen it on so many message boards.

Leeds fans keep going up in my estimation, they'll still get crowds of 20,000+ next season (if they have a team) despite all the s*** they've been put through the last few years and still being ripped off with ticket prices. Never mind invading the pitch i'd hate to see the protests we'd have if we ended up down there in the s*** in 3 years time.

BUT ... We arnt going to be down there in 3years time!!

Normally, I'd say it is a great shame to see a club in this kind of trouble, but I can not find it within me to feel any sympathy for these wankers.

Having seen them kick off at VP on a number of occasions, and having seen them throwing bottles at families and laying into blokes with their kids at the 96 LC final, I personally shall manage to hold back the tears if they disappear and never come back.

Guest Adam_Harrison9

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of t*ssers

I can tell from that statement you're a f****** hypocrite.

Let it be known to you all, that the fans that are violent and claim to represent Leeds, are a small minority of complete morons. And, yes, funnily enough every club has a group of them. It just so happens that the morons from Leeds are more moronic  :lol:

Guest Armchair Pundit

Crikey, really? That little flaming dude has been around for years, I've seen it on so many message boards.

Hmm, yeah, I thought I'd seen it before - I've been using it myself for a while, can't remember where I got it from but I know I've had it for a while. I guess I'll have to find myself a new one now.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Hmm, yeah, I thought I'd seen it before - I've been using it myself for a while, can't remember where I got it from but I know I've had it for a while. I guess I'll have to find myself a new one now.

I've been using a similar one for years, on many message boards i am a member of. Made my own now in about 10 mins, had another one with a stick man asprilla elbowing Keith Curle, but lost that one now.

Guest nufc_geordie

anyone remember the bloke slating the inland revenue for screwing Hartlepool and being lenient on Leeds

I said a similar thing with Scarborough folding not so long ago. I take it back now, justice is being done!