Raul top target for Toon - NotW.

Optimistic Nut

Struggling to see the motive behind any move like this tbh. I'm hereby dismissing it as NOTW bollocks.  :) 

Signing a good player and raising the club's profile.

Sceptical on both reasons tbh. He used to be class and I doubt we'd be rocking European football if we signed him.

Out of interest, what was Bergkamp's scoring record like in the Premiership in his last few seasons? Was still crucial to how Arsenal played.

That's true, and Raul hasn't been nearly as bad as his stats suggest, but if we wanted that type of player I'd much rather go for Gudjohnsen. Two years younger and loads of Premiership experience. At his best perhaps not as good as Raul, but these other two points make him a much safer bet to actually succeed over here.

I'd be willing to take a gamble on Deco however, at the right price. He might not fit into the Premiership but he's experienced playing in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 both at Porto and Barca so he'd slip right into Sam's formation. Big question marks over whether he could adjust over here (we don't have any Portuguese speakers in the squad, he's 30, he'd probably be coming for the money and he could find the game too physical over here). But I remember he was excellent on more than one occasion against Chelsea which is an encouraging sign. He's the type of player who, if we could get him playing to anything near his best, could have us up around the CL places.

Raul could be called a trophy signing.

I'd rather we get Gudjohnsen. Gudjohnsen can play midfield as well as up front, is younger and is proven in the Premier League.

If we want to spend big and show some intent, either find a really exciting young talent that we can get or go out and buy the best central defender money can buy.

Struggling to see the motive behind any move like this tbh. I'm hereby dismissing it as NOTW bollocks.  :) 

Sceptical on both reasons tbh. He used to be class and I doubt we'd be rocking European football if we signed him.

He's been a key player for arguably the best team in the world for over 10 years. It wouldn't be like when we signed Kluivert who was on his way down and out of favour at Barcelona. Raul was still first-choice, and was a very important factor in van Nistelrooy scoring so many goals.

Guest 22bnw

Raul is a fantastic player, but he isn't the right signing for us. We need to build foundations for a successful future and if Raul came along and did an awesome job and we began to depend him, then when he starts getting worse the whole team would start failing. Gudjohnsen is underrated- he would be a fantastic signing.

Raul is a fantastic player, but he isn't the right signing for us. We need to build foundations for a successful future and if Raul came along and did an awesome job and we began to depend him, then when he starts getting worse the whole team would start failing. Gudjohnsen is underrated- he would be a fantastic signing.

Spot on really, combined with Shak's post aswell - not that i think Raul would do class. Raul would be a trophy signing and a needless one at that.

Did Owen play with him much over there, btw?

Not sure how you think Gudjohnsen is underrated? Since he left Chelsea he has became very overrated. Good player though, but people talk about him on here as if he was better than Bergkamp.

He's been a key player for arguably the best team in the world for over 10 years. It wouldn't be like when we signed Kluivert who was on his way down and out of favour at Barcelona. Raul was still first-choice, and was a very important factor in van Nistelrooy scoring so many goals.

How old is Raul now? I'm not having a go, I'd just question his motivation, leaving his beloved Real for a team in the North East of England. Just trying to see things from his perspective.

Signing Raul would make people sit up and take notice, we'd be signing a first XI striker from the Spanish Champions and richest football club in the world.

Thing is, up front is the last position where we could do with this type of big-name big-money signing. We have three big names to accommodate. I'm not sure where Raul could even play in Sam's 4-5-1. Sam didn't buy Viduka to bench him and he definitely won't bench Owen, and then there's Martins to think about.

The Raul one sounds like total bollocks tbh. With the Deco story there's a tiny possibility it's true, as we've been in Barcelona for talks and it's a position where we could actually accommodate him.

Deco would be every bit as big a gamble as Raul but we're lighter in that department, espescially if we play a 3 man central midfield, so he would make more sense.

To sum it up: Raul = bollocks rumour tbh. Deco = could have some truth in it.

Also, Allardyce proved at Bolton with Okocha that when he feels he's not having the same effect on his team, despite him being quality before, he'll replace him. Would have no doubt whatsoever Allardyce would do that 2-3 years down the line with Raul.

How old is Raul now? I'm not having a go, I'd just question his motivation, leaving his beloved Real for a team in the North East of England. Just trying to see things from his perspective.

Would it be much difference to when Zola went to Chelsea? Don't think geography is all that important if he felt the club was right.

Would it be much difference to when Zola went to Chelsea? Don't think geography is all that important if he felt the club was right.

Fair enough but you're comparing Newcastle to London.

My whole point is that, although he's not 'old' his best years are definitely behind him. He's on the wane and he's only ever played for Real Madrid, where he's a living legend. He has the lifestyle and the status. Can you really see him giving all that up to come to Newcastle? Personally, I can't.

You're making good points but you're clutching at the positives and ignoring the negatives.

Where could he play in a 4-5-1?

Do you see Sam benching Viduka after buying him?

Do you see him benching Owen?

Do you see Martins accepting a place on the bench?

Can't see any reason why Sam would get him. At least with the Gudjohnsen rumours we know he can play in midfield.

Guest 22bnw

Viduka Oba and Owen are more than fine for now (assuming we keep them)

If we make a signing to stun the world I'd want it to be in defence...I don't see much of the Spanish league, how good are Sergio Ramos and Carlos Puyol?

Raul'll be 30 next season.

So same age as Henry then...

Just answering someone's question. :D

You're making good points but you're clutching at the positives and ignoring the negatives.

Where could he play in a 4-5-1?

Do you see Sam benching Viduka after buying him?

Do you see him benching Owen?

Do you see Martins accepting a place on the bench?

Can't see any reason why Sam would get him. At least with the Gudjohnsen rumours we know he can play in midfield.

Where would he fit Viduka, Owen & Martins in a 4-5-1 system though? I don't think we'll be going down that route. If we can sign someone better now we have new money (and imo Raul is better than Viduka), then should the chance come about to sign him and he succeeds then he should drop Viduka, yes. Not the greatest example, but not long before Abramovich came in, Ranieri signed Jurgen Macho for Chelsea...not long later he took Cech there. Can't see him benching Owen no, but I can see the two of them being a fantastic partnership. As for Martins accepting a place on the bench, tough sh*t. He'll probably be getting a fair bit of bench time now anyway with Viduka here and Owen fully-fit.

Guest brewer

Could be for Owen what he was for van Nistelrooy, Morientes, Ronaldo, etc.

He's only forged a good partnership with one of those players, Nando.

Infact Raul has been rubbish since the day Ronaldo arrived at the Bernabeu.

Guest ryunufc

i doubt that he would make significant influence on the pitch. however, he definitely would raise the club's popularity. maybe not that much in europe but in middle east and asia he is among the most well known footballers. to me,the story is fairly believable because if ashley ambitiously wants to have a trophy signing to strengthen his global marketing plan then raul is a very good option considering the size of impact he would make. this is since we are not in position to attract rising stars like kaka, ribery, messi, tevez etc.