Raul top target for Toon - NotW.

Optimistic Nut

People seem to have the impression Raul is old.  I'm sure he ;s only 28

Just turned 30 a couple of weeks ago.

Problem with Raul is that his body is about 33.

Guest Johan

Did we not learn our lesson with Kluivert? Just because a player is not that old looking at his age doesnt mean he still cant be finished. Raul here for a big fee and massive wages would be utter madness. Deco on the other hand..

Guest Dr. Pongle

Did we not learn our lesson with Kluivert? Just because a player is not that old looking at his age doesnt mean he still cant be finished. Raul here for a big fee and massive wages would be utter madness. Deco on the other hand..

Thought Kluivert was a decent signing for us tbh.

Guest Johan

When I have seen Raul play the last few years it has been painfull just watching it. Used to be somewhat of a fan of his as well. Without getting in to an argument about Kluivert, sure he might benefit from a bit of Sams "magic". But there must be other targets out there who are both cheaper and has a bigger chance for success?

Guest Dr. Pongle

When I have seen Raul play the last few years it has been painfull just watching it. Used to be somewhat of a fan of his as well. Without getting in to an argument about Kluivert, sure he might benefit from a bit of Sams "magic". But there must be other targets out there who are both cheaper and has a bigger chance for success?

In all honesty, we don't need another striker at the moment unless Owen or Martins leaves. Our priority should be a left back.

In all honesty, we don't need another striker at the moment unless Owen or Martins leaves. Our priority should be a left back.

Maldini.

I love all the "it'll never happen" and "he'll never come here" comments, so many have felt the need to say in this thread!

Such confidence!

Hopefully the club will move forward over the next few years, in a way that will render such heartfelt comments as being old fashioned and obsolete.

Why would either club sell and why would either player come to us when they would most likely have lot bigger clubs after them.

Plus West Ham are in London and would probably offer them £150k a week each!

Because Real Madrid & Barcelona are in a position where they can buy younger and arguably better versions of those two. Newcastle aren't. The two of them might see it as a new challenge as well.

Still think they would have better options than us.

Guest Dr. Pongle

Maldini.

Spotted in JD sports purchasing some Nike trackie bottoms.

If Raul came in and scored 12 goals like Kluivert I don't think it'd be the worst thing in the world.

It wouldn't be BUT when you think of the cost (in terms of a small fee and his massive wages) - thats a whole lot of cash for 12 goals, especially when you think of people like Benni Macarthy, Kevin Doyle, Dirk Kuyt and even Berbatov who all scored 12 or more league goals last season (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/top_scorers/default.stm) I doubt any of them are on anything near the kind of package Raul would demand.

I'd either like to see us sign a true superstar with his best years ahead of him (i.e: someone like a Tevez) or just stick to Sam's current approach.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a normal summer with a bunch of very good first team/squad players coming through the door, getting rid of some shite and build from there? I'd quite like the new regime to recognise that they don't have to do the whole big name signing thing to win people over or make unnecessary statements.

Guest Verlaine

Maldini.

Spotted in JD sports purchasing some Nike trackie bottoms.

Sports Direct, surely?

I love all the "it'll never happen" and "he'll never come here" comments, so many have felt the need to say in this thread!

Such confidence!

Hopefully the club will move forward over the next few years, in a way that will render such heartfelt comments as being old fashioned and obsolete.

Why would either club sell and why would either player come to us when they would most likely have lot bigger clubs after them.

Because Real Madrid & Barcelona are in a position where they can buy younger and arguably better versions of those two. Newcastle aren't. The two of them might see it as a new challenge as well.

There will be better clubs. This is a bit of a nonsense debate because not a cat in hell's chance they'll come here.

I remember a couple of years ago when we were linked with Figo from Real Madrid people opposed that for similar reasons to why they wouldn't want Deco or Raul. He's went on to win two titles in Italy and is still performing to a high level.

Guest Verlaine

Such confidence!

There will be better clubs. This is a bit of a nonsense debate because not a cat in hell's chance they'll come here.

I remember a couple of years ago when we were linked with Figo from Real Madrid people opposed that for similar reasons to why they wouldn't want Deco or Raul. He's went on to win two titles in Italy and is still performing to a high level.

Flawed argument, a bit. He was playing for a world-class team in the Italian league.

Such confidence!

Yeah, but were talking about now, I have confidence in us, but not in us getting deco for gods sake. I hope they'll be oscolete too in a few years. Cant believe this threads up to 4 pages already about a story in the news of the world. It may as well have been written on tribal football.

Agreed. As I say "in  the next few years".

But even now I would not say "never come to us" with the degree of 'certainty' and enthusiasm that some seem to say it!

Also agree that this just another made up NOTW story!!

Such confidence!

And, maybe, over the next few years, we'll actually, say, be in Europe. This may help.

I know we are not in Europe in the coming season, but we are (have been) in Europe pretty well every season since we came into the Premier League - so we are known for that, around and about.

Also, I am sure it is not only us NUFC supporters, who have noticed what has been happening here this summer. It will not be only us that will see what the alliance between what we already had, plus a new billionaire with ambition, can achieve.

Such confidence!

I remember when people didn't want us to swap Robert with Ronaldinho because he wasn't a left winger :lol:

Kluivert was good in the cups just s**** in the league

Just turned 30.

Fair enough.

I'm not really bothered about Raul as i dont see what he would bring.  Deco would be interesting though.

I always thought Kluivert got a hard time.  I'd have kept him for another year if he wanted to stay.  I thought the poor work rate was a myth, and though he wasnt exactly banging them in, he got a fair few and it was his first season in the league, and he unjustifiably got dropped a lot, i thought.

Guest Dr. Pongle

Kluivert was good in the cups just s**** in the league

No.

if you say kluivert got a hard time, just think of Shola at the minute! everyone gets on his back every match, what good is it going to do?

raul and deco wouldnt come here in my eyes

Guest Dr. Pongle

Kluivert not getting many league starts was more down to Souness' arse-kissing of Shearer more than his injury problems. Kluivert & Bellamy should have been first-choice.

Shearer was a better finisher than the pair of them - no question. Souness simply didn't know how to handle the situation, being the tactically inept fuckpig he is.