Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Nery Castillo signs for Shaktar :weep:

http://shakhtar.com/icons/shakhtar/foto/news/9888_31-07-07_n_full.jpg

20m Euros

Who would want to sign for Shaktar? I mean cmon! Most people don't even know which country that's in!!

Btw, nice unibrow...

How is this possible? €20m? Shakhtar?

Well they didn't win it last season, Dynamo Kiev did.

And they want to make an impact in the Champions League.

Why would he go there? Their paying him 4 times what he was earning at Olympiakos (Double what they offered him to stay). Still, City or any other Premiership club - even Spurs! - could have beaten their wage offer and got him here if they weren't blown out of the water by Shaktar's transfer fee. :hmm:

Well they didn't win it last season, Dynamo Kiev did.

And they want to make an impact in the Champions League.

Why would he go there? Their paying him 4 times what he was earning at Olympiakos (Double what they offered him to stay). Still, City or any other Premiership club - even Spurs! - could have beaten their wage offer and got him here if they weren't blown out of the water by Shaktar's transfer fee. :hmm:

Bit of a rash statement!! :lol:

Dodgy web translations ahoy:

Valeri Bojinov:

"I have just talked with (Martin) Petrov, I'm very happy to play with him. I have to thank Eriksson that has insisted to take me: that's a great chance for me. thanks also to Lecce, Fiorentina and Juventus fans and managers: after all this time spent in italy i needed to go abroad"

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/index.php?action=read&id=69832

Is he any good? Looks great on youtube obviously but...anyone actually seen him play? ???

Valeri Bojinov:

"I have just talked with (Martin) Petrov, I'm very happy to play with him. I have to thank Eriksson that has insisted to take me: that's a great chance for me. thanks also to Lecce, Fiorentina and Juventus fans and managers: after all this time spent in italy i needed to go abroad"

Is he any good? Looks great on youtube obviously but...anyone actually seen him play? ???

Is he any good??!!

He's brilliant.

Guest Triglett

City are increasingly putting the willys up me.

They are assembling a handy squad, but how many Serie A players have adapted well and made it in the Prem? Risky strategy IMO.

Cool. Reading the reports floating around the interweb he's gonna cost 5 point something, apparently a pretty cheap contract too (Less than 20k/w). Seems like a good deal.

And now more dodgy translations, this time from a player I've actually seen, Elano.

"Before accepting their offer I asked if they would be buying more players and if the idea was to build a team capable of challenging for top spots (over the coming seasons). When they said yes, I accepted the offer. Sven is a great man, with personality. I look forward to working with him and play in the Premier League. The management team also said they would try to get other brazilian players in, but I'm afraid I cant give you their names." (Blatantly Kaka)

http://globoesporte.globo.com/ESP/Noticia/0,,MUL80776-4843,00.html

Manchester Evening News expect him to be a City player within the week. link

They are assembling a handy squad, but how many Serie A players have adapted well and made it in the Prem? Risky strategy IMO.

How many of them have been managed by someone with Serie A experience who can speak a bajillion different languages? I have faith in Sven. Especially given his apparent buying in pairs strategy. Two Bulgarians, Two Brazillians, Two Italians...should help these guys settle in.

Cool. Reading the reports floating around the interweb he's gonna cost 5 point something, apparently a pretty cheap contract too (Less than 20k/w). Seems like a good deal.

And now more dodgy translations, this time from a player I've actually seen, Elano.

"Before accepting their offer I asked if they would be buying more players and if the idea was to build a team capable of challenging for top spots (over the coming seasons). When they said yes, I accepted the offer. Sven is a great man, with personality. I look forward to working with him and play in the Premier League. The management team also said they would try to get other brazilian players in, but I'm afraid I cant give you their names." (Blatantly Kaka)

How many of them have been managed by someone with Serie A experience who can speak a bajillion different languages? I have faith in Sven. Especially given his apparent buying in pairs strategy. Two Bulgarians, Two Brazillians, Two Italians...should help these guys settle in.

Bojinov, Elano, and Corluka all fmtastic!

*Sven looks up distractedly from his latest season on the computer*

"I'll take two of each".

Exciting times for City, good luck to them.

Ya what? They are pulling in players that frustratingly whet the appetite, but personally I wish them nothing but drought and disaster (or at least a significantly lower placing than ourselves).

>:(

Valeri Bojinov:

Is he any good??!!

He's brilliant.

Yes he's very good, ment to be a complete twat though.

I'm with you on this one Doc, it helps to have a fellow countryman there to help with the settling in process.  I also see a lot of similarity with what Sven is trying to do and what Arnesen did for Spurs 3 years ago.  Started off with a poor squad and signed a lot of players in practically no time flat to get the squad quality partially improved and squad quantity very much improved.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the majority (if not all) gone within 12/18 months as happened with Spurs, with new recruits providing an upgrade in quality on those going out the door.  But the short term aim would have been achieved.  Squad numbers up to strength, squad quality significantly up on what was there before.  I'm impressed with what Sven is doing and how he is going about it tbh.  In 3 years when SGE's current contract expires, it'll be interesting to see just how far City will have progressed from last season.  A long long way imho.

I'm with you on this one Doc, it helps to have a fellow countryman there to help with the settling in process.  I also see a lot of similarity with what Sven is trying to do and what Arnesen did for Spurs 3 years ago.  Started off with a poor squad and signed a lot of players in practically no time flat to get the squad quality partially improved and squad quantity very much improved.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the majority (if not all) gone within 12/18 months as happened with Spurs, with new recruits providing an upgrade in quality on those going out the door.  But the short term aim would have been achieved.  Squad numbers up to strength, squad quality significantly up on what was there before.  I'm impressed with what Sven is doing and how he is going about it tbh.  In 3 years when SGE's current contract expires, it'll be interesting to see just how far City will have progressed from last season.  A long long way imho.

I should bloody well think so with the amount of money their spending.

I should bloody well think so with the amount of money their spending.

True they've spent a lot of money but I think that only reflects how much money needed to be spent to make the squad competitive.  There's bound to be successes and failures when that many players are bought, next summer will probably just as hectic for them again.

Guest Triglett

There's a fair step up in quality, to be fair. It's hard to tell without having seen them in the Premiership, but the players City have been linked with should easily compete for a place in our current squad. You can't even begin to compare the likes of Elano, Petrov and Chiellini to Sean Davis, Ziegler and Edman. Portsmouth since Redknapp came back in are probably a better example of that...hell, they even took half of the players we used when we were done with them!

City now have the prospects to challenge hard for a European spot under Sven. Bring in the players they've been linked with and they should supercede the likes of Bolton and Everton in terms of quality. However, I still expect a sluggish start with the players' need to settle in, and I'm not totally convinced by the counter-argument. The move from Serie A to the Premiership is probably the hardest transition to make out of the major leagues, and these are young players...I reckon they'll do well to finish 8th/9th with a decent cup run.

There's a fair step up in quality, to be fair. It's hard to tell without having seen them in the Premiership, but the players City have been linked with should easily compete for a place in our current squad. You can't even begin to compare the likes of Elano, Petrov and Chiellini to Sean Davis, Ziegler and Edman. Portsmouth since Redknapp came back in are probably a better example of that...hell, they even took half of the players we used when we were done with them!

City now have the prospects to challenge hard for a European spot under Sven. Bring in the players they've been linked with and they should supercede the likes of Bolton and Everton in terms of quality. However, I still expect a sluggish start with the players' need to settle in, and I'm not totally convinced by the counter-argument. The move from Serie A to the Premiership is probably the hardest transition to make out of the major leagues, and these are young players...I reckon they'll do well to finish 8th/9th with a decent cup run.

Which were the sort of hopes and expectations we had when we had our major overhaul.  The difference for City compared to Spurs of 3 years ago is that other clubs have decided to make the big effort, West Ham and Portsmouth and, to a lesser degree, Blackburn.  There is also plenty of time left in the window for Newcastle to add more new faces.  Consistency against the lesser lights and avoiding defeats against the immediate competition will go a long way in determining how the league table will eventually pan out.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Strong rumours putting Mido in the Stadium of S***.

God bless Roy Keane!!  :smitten: :celb: :celb: :celb: mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

.............if it's true

of course you're getting the £25m release clause price for him right?

/baggio

Strong rumours putting Mido in the Stadium of S***.

God bless Roy Keane!!  :smitten: :celb: :celb: :celb: mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

.............if it's true

Ah you mean you read the Dail Mail website?

Well done.