Sunderland sign Chopra. £5m!

Mr Logic

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ameobi p*sses on Chopra as a footballer. Ameobi would be a 12 goal a season striker easily if he had a season at first-choice (when you think he generally gets 6-9 goals a season as back-up). I'd tip Ameobi to easily score 25 in the Championship.

well Chopra has scored 22, excuse me while I don't take your belief as fact

Even back end of the 2005-6 season when Shearer was f*cked, we played Ameobi & Chopra up front as a pairing. Chopra's contribution was a jammy goal against the worst team in Premiership history, Ameobi was the main goal-getter getting us into 7th spot.

looking at the last 8 or so games tells a different story. not one goal to take the lead in a game, the only time he scored first for us was after already being 3-0 down to liverpool

hardly leading the line

I don't understand why peopel are surprised he's joined them.

Newcastle clearly weren't interested in keeping him or developing him into a first team player and he goes to the championship and scores over 20 goals. Now a premiership team with new ownership and a manager who is well-respected and admired in football are willing to pay £5 million!!! for him and he's supposed to say "No, cuz I'm a Geordie" and risk never getting a chance in the premiership? Who else would pay such an amount for him? I can't imagine too many would.

He has every right to grab the opportunity with both hands and it will be extremely embarrassing if he does well there.

Oh well ...

Guest optimistic nit

also i can't believe Roy Keane could be so utterly braindead. come may, sunderland will either be about to be relegated, or about to stay up. if the former is the case, then they've wasted a good proportion of the money gained by promotion (a lot) on players that a) would have come to sunderland in the championship anyway and b) are not any better than other players in the league. They will gain very little from a 1 year stint now, as a lot of the financial benefits will be offset by signing shite.

if the latter is the case then i very much doubt sunderland would have gone down, had these players not signed.

if he couldn't get anyone then he should have signed noone, at least that way they get 1 years PL experiance and a lot of money to build for promotion in 08/09

Out of interest ... how much did Earnsham cost? Wasn't it only £3.5 million?

If so how the hell did Kamara, Nugent and Chopra cost more?

Earnshaw has the best goalscoring record and is better then all three combined and has regular international experience albeit with a struggling team.

Surprised Keane didn't go for Earnshaw instead.

Ameobi p*sses on Chopra as a footballer. Ameobi would be a 12 goal a season striker easily if he had a season at first-choice (when you think he generally gets 6-9 goals a season as back-up). I'd tip Ameobi to easily score 25 in the Championship.

well Chopra has scored 22, excuse me while I don't take your belief as fact

Even back end of the 2005-6 season when Shearer was f*cked, we played Ameobi & Chopra up front as a pairing. Chopra's contribution was a jammy goal against the worst team in Premiership history, Ameobi was the main goal-getter getting us into 7th spot.

looking at the last 8 or so games tells a different story. not one goal to take the lead in a game, the only time he scored first for us was after already being 3-0 down to liverpool

hardly leading the line

Would that be these last 8 games...

Charlton (A) 1-3

Spurs (H) 3-1 - Ameobi (scored to make it 2-1)

Boro (A) 2-1 - Ameobi (scored to make it 2-0)

Wigan (H) 3-1 - Ameobi subbed after 18 mins due to injury

Sunderland (A) 4-1 - Ameobi injured, didn't play

WBA (H) 3-0 - Ameobi scored 2nd & 3rd goals

Birmingham (A) 0-0

Chelsea (H) 1-0

So he scored 4 goals in his last 6 and a half, if we go back to his own individual last 8 games, then it's 5 in 8 as he scored against Liverpool to make it 2-1 at the time, getting us back in the match.

So as well as the £12m spent, they have now gone and done this, which would equal Keanes £20m spending fund:

KEANE TO UP GORDON OFFER - REPORT

Sunderland have reportedly made an offer totalling £8million for Hearts goalkeeper Craig Gordon.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane has been consistently linked with the Scotland number one throughout the summer as he attempts to build a side capable of surviving in the Premier League after winning promotion last season.

Hearts assistant boss Stephen Frail previously valued Gordon at £10million, but Sunderland are hoping to tempt Hearts into selling their top asset for £5million with an additional £3million in add-ons which would make him the most expensive goalkeeper in British history, according to the Edinburgh Evening News.

Guest Alan_Shearer

It's pretty crazy that Sunderland sign a Geordie lol, wonder what their fans think of that.

Also, players have limits, Chopra is a championship player thats his limit, he can never cut it in the prem.

Personally, I rate Chopra as a striker better than Nugent, how well he fares will depend on the players around him, which, at the moment, don't look good enough to impress.  Also, my assessment of Chopra isn't so much a reflection of how good I think he is but more to do with how low I rate Nugent.

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

I love the way some of the scum are trying to be happy about it, so as not to give us any joy over it.

How can they be happy at £5mill for Chopra, Geordie or not its a massive fee for him and surley that must piss them off.

Lets not laugh too much as these things often come back & whack us in the face.

Chopra has been great at other clubs in lower leagues, I really rated him when he first got his chance here but it does appear that he struggles with the step up to the Prem. If he does do a great job for them and bangs in a s*** load of goals we can just make a bid and watch him leg it out of there all the way home. If he crashes and burns we can laugh our tits off..

Guest thenorthumbrian

Chopra is a lightweight who won't score many in the premiership.

Still he should get a few for the Yo-Yos's in the championship the season after next.

I wonder if Clarkie has still got that SMB t-shirt.

So as well as the £12m spent, they have now gone and done this, which would equal Keanes £20m spending fund:

KEANE TO UP GORDON OFFER - REPORT

Sunderland have reportedly made an offer totalling £8million for Hearts goalkeeper Craig Gordon.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane has been consistently linked with the Scotland number one throughout the summer as he attempts to build a side capable of surviving in the Premier League after winning promotion last season.

Hearts assistant boss Stephen Frail previously valued Gordon at £10million, but Sunderland are hoping to tempt Hearts into selling their top asset for £5million with an additional £3million in add-ons which would make him the most expensive goalkeeper in British history, according to the Edinburgh Evening News.

I don't want gordon to go there.  I'm a scotland fan, and cant see him in a mackem shirt! Plus, he could do better.

I cant see chopra doing particularly well, but i can see it now, them all laughing at us mocking it, as he bangs them in.

Would be pure class if he knocked them back though

That would make him the lowest goal scoring geordie striker legend.

What's this about the mackems going off it?  One is, and everyone's having a go at him.  They seem quite happy. 58% on their poll are happy.

Guest Jinky James

Lets face it Chops will be back in the championship next season anyway, back to where he plays best.

stronger players made him the 'weeker' player of the squad and he will feel more comfortable with not so good players around him

What the hell are you on about?

Honestly, that makes no sense. 

Maybe he's suggesting Chopra prefers to be the big fish in a small pond rather than the other way around?

Chopra wants to be a small pond in a big fish?

he struggles with the step up to the Prem.

I know where your coming from but at the end of the previous season he won us about 4 or 5 pens in the games he did play.

I reckon he will get 10 to 12 goals next season. I would imagine he will be taking the pens for them & some of the freekicks, he scored some corkers last season.