Real Madrid sign Pepe

Newcastle Fan

Central defender from Porto, he is really good, but very unproven. €30M is really much for him, Barcelona have bought Henry and Abidal all together for that price and they are closing in on Milito for something around €10M, so don't have to ask who is making better choices.

It's one of those summers. It reminds me of 2001 and 2002 when Rio Ferdinand was bought for £30M and we paid £8.5M for Viana. You also had teams like Villa paying £9.5M for Juan Pablo Angel while Real splashed £47M on Zidane, still the record. Things cooled down for a couple of years but now a few clubs are flashing the cash and everyone is raising their asking price. As a few years ago, some clubs will get what they paid for, others will get their fingers badly burnt. We did well to get in early and get a few cheap and proven signings like Viduka, Barton and Geremi, I think the Roeder approach would have left us buggered this summer. For the moment I'm glad we're not the ones taking a gamble on Bent at £16.5M or Torres at £25M.

Guest 22bnw

IMO one centre-back shouldn't be worth that kind of money, i suppose they just paid above the odds to make sure they got him

Still couldn't believe that Ferdinand price when you look at what we got Woodgate for 6 months later.

Probably a fair reflection given the injury problems Woodgate has had mind. Even when we bought him he was injured wasn't he? If Woody could play as many games as Rio and Leeds had got shot of him at the same time (ie not when they were deeper in crisis and desperate for the cash) he would have cost much, much more.

Still couldn't believe that Ferdinand price when you look at what we got Woodgate for 6 months later.

Aye, but Woody was a crock even then, and they knew it. To think, we were in for Terry around that time too. Hindsight's a wonderful thing eh.

Signs are that we're back to the ridiculously inflated transfer fees again. I mean, people thought £17m for Owen was massive 2 years ago. Now you're getting £16m for Bent, etc, etc.  :kasper:

30m is about £20m i think?

Aye, but Ferdinand was £28m. At least that's my understanding of what they're on about...

yeah Ferdinand was 28 english pounds, roughly 42 million euros

thats one fucking rough exchange rate for them european types.

Guest Dr. Pongle

Aye, but Woody was a crock even then, and they knew it. To think, we were in for Terry around that time too. Hindsight's a wonderful thing eh.

Signs are that we're back to the ridiculously inflated transfer fees again. I mean, people thought £17m for Owen was massive 2 years ago. Now you're getting £16m for Bent, etc, etc.  :kasper:

In hindsight had we got John Terry he would have left by now.

Probably a fair reflection given the injury problems Woodgate has had mind. Even when we bought him he was injured wasn't he? If Woody could play as many games as Rio and Leeds had got shot of him at the same time (ie not when they were deeper in crisis and desperate for the cash) he would have cost much, much more.

I'd say probably more of a reflect on Woodgate's mental stability in and around that time as the court case really appeared to have affected him.