Martins or Gudjohnsen?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gudjhonsen was allowed to leave Chelsea despite the fact that Drogba provided the pace up front that all top teams have. If we bring in Gudjohnsen with potential partners being Owen or Viduka, how do we hit teams on the counter-attack? When we last finished in CL positions, I seem to remember we won a lot of points away from home due to the speed of Dyer and Bellamy in particular.

Gudjohnsen's a good player, but if Martins hasn't already decided to leave we'd be far better having the speed factor. Not to mention rockets in both feet.

Guest Gemmill

On the basis that I like players who can command basic control over a football when it arrives with them, I'm going to have to side with Gudjohnsen.  And that's before we even get onto the issue of movement.

And a massive Jesus fucking wept directed at the poll result btw.

There you go, Dave. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sicko2ndbest

Eidur Gudjohnsen's father and agent, Arnor, says the Barcelona ace would be interested in a move to West Ham.

West Ham have been strongly linked with a move to bring the former Chelsea and Bolton man back to England.

Gudjohnsen's future at Barcelona looks uncertain following the summer arrival of Thierry Henry.

The Icelandic international struggled to hold down a place in Frank Rijkaard's star-studded side last season and the signing of Henry pushes Gudjohnsen further down the pecking order at Camp Nou.

Gudjohnsen is thought to be weighing up his future at Barca and West Ham are believed to be lining up a move for the skilful forward.

Gudjohnsen senior says his son would welcome a move to Upton Park and that the player is weighing up his future in Barcelona.

"I have heard about the interest from West Ham, but there have been no talks as yet," Gudjohnsen Snr told skysports.com.

"It would be something Eidur would consider as there are some Icelanders there with the owners and all.

"If they are interested in Eidur I am sure they will contact me."

Gudjohnsen is currently recovering from a knee injury and the player's father says the 28-year-old will consider all options available to him.

"He is currently injured and he is focused on getting fit again, but he will consider all options open to him," added Gudjohnsen.

"Barcelona have always told him it is up to him what he wants to do and they will not stand in his way if he wants to go and they will be happy for him if he wants to stay.

"Eidur will not rush a decision on his future and we will evaluate every

Gudjohnsen has canny control and is a decent footballer. Think Oba offers something our other forwards dont though - just that real pace to worry players and at present he is the only on in the squad with it - which in itself is a concern. On that basis it is Oba but I can see where Gemmill is coming from.

Guest Moe-Ali

OBAFEMI MARTINS!

Really bad question, almost like 'Eto'o or Gudjohnsen' Not that Martins is the same calibre of striker, not yet anyways, but Eto'o and Martins are very simillar,  dangerous in many different ways pace/shooting/athleticism/and both put alot of effort into every single match they play, lets just put it this way, Oba is starting his climb up the mountain of football, and Eidur is on his way down.

buy eidur he would be a huge player for us,and it dosen't make any sense to compare martins with him

eidur is past his best now, i would like him here and he may be a better overall player but he won't score as many goals as Martins, and thats what being a striker is all about.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Eidur is the more accomplished of the two, i'm waiting to see if Oba has managed to ensure that his second touch isnt a tackle before I make a final decision

Eidur is the more accomplished of the two, i'm waiting to see if Oba has managed to ensure that his second touch isnt a tackle before I make a final decision

Martins play so far has looked much better compared to last season i think, especially his touch.

gudjohnsen for martins is an awful switch, as your replacing one player who offers his team particular qualities (pace, dribbling, working the flanks, goalscoring) with a player who has a completely different set of qualities. a better comparison would be Viduka and Gudjohnsen, both players who would occupy the same position in an Allardyce team, the lone striker. gudjohnsen has more class and vision (but not much more), but viduka is better with his back to goal and offers more physical presence. i think viduka is better overall as he simply offers a greater end product. Of course that question is academic as we've just signed Viduka and aren't looking to replace him. selling Martins, a player who would theoretically occupy one of the wide forward positions in a 4-3-3 (like Diouf or Anelka at Bolton), for a player with zero pace like gudjohnsen, would be idiotic. If we were to sell Martins then Gudjohnsen would be the last player we should be looking at as a replacement and you'd have to question the basic football knowledge of anyone who thinks it would be a suitable like-for-like swap for our team.

Martins has been one of our best players pre-season. All this crap about him having a poor first touch has looked pretty stupid as he has done very well playing the secondary striker role, just off the CF. Give the Roedent credit where it is due, he got a good 'un there.

Erm, nobody compared them like-for-like, or that wasn't the intention of the poll anyway. The OP was based on speculation at the time (made this poll weeks ago) that Oba was possibly leaving and Gudjohnsen possibly coming in. Obviously if that happened then it would affect the way we could play, there wouldn't be any replacing going on. I merely asked whether people would be happy with that switch.

Erm, nobody compared them like-for-like, or that wasn't the intention of the poll anyway. The OP was based on speculation at the time (made this poll weeks ago) that Oba was possibly leaving and Gudjohnsen possibly coming in. Obviously if that happened then it would affect the way we could play, there wouldn't be any replacing going on. I merely asked whether people would be happy with that switch.

but we'd be selling martins and bringing in Gudjohnsen as a replacement. Unless people are explicitly seeing Gudjohnsen as a midfielder (which would than raise the issue of us needing to go out and buy ANOTHER striker) then Gudjohnsen replaces Martins as our "third striker". If we play 4-4-2 then we'd just spend money on buying a player we don't need as we already have viduka to complement owen. our complement of strikers would include 2 support players (viduka and ameobi) and owen. to round this off we'd need to look for someone with pace, someone who can score, to play off Viduka or Ameobi, as a possible owen substitute/rival. If we play 4-3-3 then there is no place for Gudjohnsen in that system. it would be pointless. we'd need to be looking for players who could occupy the wide roles.

i think what is going on here is very similar to how Shepherd went about replacing managers - just go for someone who corrects the faults of the previous incumbent. as Martins is perceived as brainless and having a shit touch, people are jizzing over a player who is intelligent and has great close control, regardless that he is an unsuitable signing in his own right.